“Great cheese, good wine, but lacking in other areas” 3 of 5 bubbles

Pape-Georges
Ranked #68 of 1,427 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: French, Bar, Pub, Wine Bar, Canadian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Haverhill, Massachusetts
“Great cheese, good wine, but lacking in other areas”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

We came here after reading other reviews because we were looking for a place to leisurely enjoy some wine and cheese. The outside seating was nice. The cheese didn't disappoint -- fabulous, full of flavor -- other cheese platters that we had elsewhere during the vacation didn't come close. The wines that we tried were fine (one actually quite good), but I wished they had a wider selection. They really need to up their game in the bread dept, however, to go with that great cheese -- it tasted kind of stale and actually didn't seem like it would be too great even if it were fresher. I also agree with other reviewers about there needing to be more accompanying the cheese other than just some onions. Service wasn't great -- the two servers waiting on us, although nice enough when actually interacting with us, overall gave the impression that they could care less if we were there.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JoeJenD12

United States
“Needs better sevice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stopped by here based on reviews I had read, and I have to say I was quite disappointed. When we walked in, the bartender/server acted like she didn't want to be bothered with us. There were only two people in the bar at that time and no one seated outside. Despite the chilly reception, we decided to go ahead and order a couple glasses of wine and a cheese plate. We took a seat outside because it was very nice out and the interior of the bar was dark and unwelcoming.
The wine was ok but I was disappointed with the cheese plate. We ordered the plate with 3 cheeses, and the portion of each cheese was tiny. We are used to visiting restaurants that have some really nice cheese plates that include all kinds of breads, spreads, fruits, and nuts. The cheese plate here only had the three tiny portions of cheese, some plain stiff baguette bread slices, and a small quantity of onions that tasted like they were from french onion soup. Although the cheeses tasted fine, and I liked the onions, the bread was dull and hard, and I was just generally disappointed because I expected better.
The server had the same careless attitude throughout our visit. Better service would definitely improve the experience. At the end, I kind of thought it was a waste of our time and money to have stopped by here.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bluemoonsymphony
Naperville, Illinois
“Shouldn't have wasted our time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stopped in hoping for a nightcap or two or more after a wonderful dinner elsewhere. Picked this place based upon location and previous reviews. What a mistake and major disappointment. It was a slow night made slower by rainy and cooler weather... as in a total of 5 patron when we arrived. Even though we could have fired a canon through the place and not hit anyone it took forever to order a drink and even longer to get it served. We had wanted to sit at the bar but a moderately disturbed/mentally ill patron talking to the bartender quickly changed our mind about that being a sane choice. Worse was the bartender was total engrossed with the loony and ignored us as cash paying customers while the loony drank water. Alcohol and anti-psychotics are never a good mix so maybe there was a blessing for us in there somewhere.

Just looking at it you would think this place had possibilities. The bartender was clueless as to how to provide even basic customer service. Hopefully management is paying attention and others will soon have a better experience. If the bartender is management , God help this place.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank nprvl
New Bern, North Carolina
“Great place for an afternoon refreshment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stopped here based on Trip reviews. We were not disappointed. The beer was delicious and cold ($7) pint. Really enjoyed the cheese Platter. Our waitress couldn't have been nicer.

Melbourne, Australia
“Cheese!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

I was walking around trying to find a snack at lunch.
I sat outside which a was nice and quiet.
I had the 3 cheeses plate. The servings are very generous with a mountain of fresh bread. Ended up being a big lunch.
The lady that served me was lovely. She said that on Thursday night they have a live blues band. Sadly I was not able to go as I left on Thursday morning.
Highly recommended.