“Seafood in Lower Town”

Le Marie-Clarisse
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My wife and I fell in love with this restaurant many years ago. Our first visit was in 1980. Since then every time we would visit Quebec, we would make sure that we would have a meal here. It serves very good seafood meals and is located in the Lower Town of old Quebec, next to the Funiculaire. I continue the tradition of visiting this restaurant during my bi-annual visits to Quebec and have never been disappointed in the meal and the service.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

During a week's stay in Quebec City we tried numerous restaurants with good reviews, several at the highest levels of pricing. This was by far the best of the lot . The fresh Pike and the Lemon Pie were absolutely delicious. The service was fine and the atmosphere lovely. The bill was in the moderate range. All in all, a great diner.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

What a treat. This resturant location cannot be beat, right off the Petit-Champlain up the steps to the upper part of the the city. The service was superb, the entire staff made our visit special, including the candles, the water, the wine, the menu's. My wife and I had 2 appetizers, mussels in a tomato broth that was heavenly and a smoked fish dish of three different fishes with sauces that was the best i ever had. The waiter recommeded the smoked fish and it was a perfect choice. For dinner we shared a boullibase that was just full of fresh seafood and the broth exceptional. Desserts and coffee made a glorious meal, in romantic Old Quebec, exceptional. When we return to the city, we will be back!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

This was billed by a tour guide as the best seafood restaurant in Quebec City. We decided to try it based on this recommendation. We were two couples and stopped in without a reservation. They were not busy, only a couple tables were occupied. We were seated and then generally ignored. Our drink order was finally taken. We asked for two glasses of wine and one gin and tonic. The wine was not what we asked for and the gin and tonic contained almost entirely tonic. But we decided to put up with it since we had waited so long. The food order was finally taken and we waited an hour for salad. The next course took another hour. We asked them if they could turn down the music which was really loud and while they said they would, they never did. We were so tired by the time we finished we just wanted to leave as fast as possible. The food was ok, but very expensive for what we got. This was an awful evening and I would suggest avoiding this restaurant completely.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife and I stumbled on Le Marie Clarisse after a dozen or so visits to Quebec City and like another reviewer had walked past it many times coming and going. I guess it couldn't have been lunch time on those walk pasts. No one was dining outside anywhere due to strong winds and rain. We were greeted by the only waitress and taken to a great table. It turns out it is the one on their brochure. There was only one other couple inside. But it filled up quickly after that. Our server was excellent and busy with a full house. Mind you the place is quite small but she still had her hands full.

Our lunchs, both had cod but done two different ways, were excellent. I would certainly have it again. And again.

The only mistake I made was to ask if they had a special beer. She said yes so I ordered it. And later another one. Only to find out with the bill that each small bottle (in Nova Scotia we refer to them as "breakfast size") was $9.

The atmosphere was great. The location is great. Our lunch choices were great. And the service was very good. We would go back in a heart beat.