“A Winter Picnic”
Review of Le Lapin Saute

Le Lapin Saute
Ranked #35 of 1,523 Restaurants in Quebec City
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Description: The magic of the Petit-Champlain district adds to the charm of the Lapin Sauté. By day, this pedestrian street comes alive with the sounds of chatter. By night, the lighting makes shadows dance on the walls of the street's historic houses. Dining at the Lapin Sauté is akin to walking into a warm, quaint and cozy inns from the early 20th century. There is nothing better than sitting in the comfort of this small, friendly 32-seat restaurant where you're always welcomed with open arms. During the summer, the Lapin expands to 52 seats with its outdoor terrace and patrons flock here under the warm sun. In the winter, a fire warms your heart and soul as you discover local country products made and served like nowhere else.
Reviewed February 16, 2010

Walking from shop to shop in the lower town we came across Lapin Saute. Knowing the restaurant boasts good reviews we stopped. There were no tables available but they suggested one might become available in 20 to 30 minutes. We agreed to return in 20 minutes however before we finished reviewing the menu posted on the front of the building one of the staff came out to inform us they could have a table in 10 minutes.
The service in this restaurant is amazing. The staff all seems to love their work making the atmosphere lighthearted, lively, and fun. We ordered the "Picnic for Two" with the Red House Wine option. The meal and wine are well paired for a late afternoon lunch or "Picnic". Not wanting to spoil our dinner later in the evening we skipped dessert although I'm sure they’re equally tasty.
The restaurant was booked for dinner so we felt fortunate to have enjoyed our afternoon meal in their company. A winning recipe from start to finish. With so much great food it's a good thing we don't live in Quebec City.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,690)

Reviewed February 16, 2010

The restaurant looks like an unassuming country kitchen, with a great locally-influenced menu. We went for lunch, and I was disappointed we didn't have time to return for dinner as well. The French onion soup was fantastic, and the rabbit rillette is highly recommended. The service was attentive, without being rushed.

Reviewed February 8, 2010

I had read all of the great reviews about this restaurant and had pretty high expectations to begin with, but I definitely wasn't disappointed in any way!

My sister and I both started with drinks - la Framboisine is a yummy drink with cider and raspberry liqueur. Delicious, but a little overpriced for what you get. We then tried the garlic snails, which were absolutely delicious!! After the snails, we realized we wanted another drink but weren't up for another tiny $6 drink, so we decided to get a bottle of the St-Nicolas rosee cider, which was amazing - we drank every drop!

For our main meals, I had the rabbit cassoulet (confit leg w/rabbit sausage on white beans) and my sis had the two leg combo (one rabbit & one duck confit w/garlic potatoes and salad). They were both incredible meals. My main concern before arriving at the restaurant was that it would be the kind of place to serve teeny tiny portions, but that wasn't the case - we were stuffed when we left! Yes, you should expect to pay a little more when you dine here, but it is WELL worth it.

The waiters were extremely friendly, patient and knowledgeable. The restaurant is tiny (I counted 36 places), so reservations are strongly recommended. I'm already drooling thinking back on the food...I would go back again and again. if you go to Quebec City, you NEED to go to Lapin Saute!

Reviewed February 6, 2010

Small bistro-like restaurant (I suppose you could call it charming) on the oldest street in North America. Great atmosphere, with the bar dominating the tiny restaurant with seating for at most 25-30 people at a set of mix-and-match tables. Understated lighting, wonderfully decorated. I understand they have a few outside tables when the weather is good.

The staff were very polite, and knowledgeable, bantering easily with my wife and I throughout our lunch. We had made a reservation, then had to call when our rental car had a problem and reschedule, and then ended up actually arriving a half-hour early. I would not have blamed them for being a little annoyed, but there was no problem at all- they were very gracious.

We had the Picnic for Two with a 500ml (2/3 bottle) carafe of the house red (your choice of red or white). It went well with the meal, which consists of lots of little bits- tapenade, some homemade cheese, smoked salmon, caramelized onions, preserved carrots, rabbit pate, and more arranged around salad greens in the center, with your portions on one end of the plate, and you picnic companion's on the other. Everything was excellent, but the rich pate, mellow onions, and supersweet carrots, when combined, made a melange that was on another level.

We also had onion soup to start, which was fine. The pace of the meal was pretty leisurely, with our waiter stopping by regularly to check on us. We had no room for dessert, unfortunately.

With soup, and the main course with the wine, plus taxes, etc, the total was $CAD 64 by the time the dust settled. I've paid a lot more for meals that weren't even half as good.
The place bustles, and there's constant traffic in and out, so it actually is pretty good for kids; there's also a bunch of newspapers and magazines to read while you are enjoying your meal (maybe more for breakfast and lunch, or a cuppa in the afternoon?)- mostly French, so if you are an Anglophone like me, maybe a chance to brush up a bit. I would definitely make a reservation, as the place is pretty small, meals are not taken at breakneck pace, and there are constantly folks poking their heads in from off the street.

Great bistro atmosphere, even better food. This was truly one of the best meals I've had at a restaurant in a long time.

Reviewed January 25, 2010

We read the great reviews and were not disappointed. We went for lunch and had the picnic for two. This was a very tasty, simply prepared plater that delivered a selection of incredibly tasty items. Really lovely stuff. Our waiter was a real pleasure, fun, not intrusive, made good recommendations, and displayed a genuine knowledge of the food he was serving. We wish we could have returned for dinner as well. The restaurant had a very intimate feel and a welcoming fireplace.