“Not as good as its reviews would indicate”
Review of Le Continental

Le Continental
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Continental is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 1,476 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Cross street: Des Jardins
Description: Total EnjoymentIn the gourmet world of Le Continental, traditional cuisine is classical. Enjoy the perfect service, the great flambéed dishes that pay tribute to the delicious French cuisine. The Continental's wine cellar is most impressive with its board of famous selection of French, Italian and American wines. It offers a choice of more than five thousand bottles, four hundred different varieties from Grands Crus classés to affordable prices.
Reviewed October 14, 2010

We had dinner at le Continental a few weeks ago and were underwhelmed. The interior decor is nice, but like stepping into a time warp that took us 50 years back. And that was characteristic of the entire experience. The lettuce leaves in my salad were severely crushed and the dressing was quite ordinary. My main course was the veal scallopini which was, again, very ordinary. The veal was too thick and the sauce was undistinguished. My wife started her meal with carpaccio, which was OK, and her main course was langoustines. The quantity and quality of the langoustines was excellent but the preparation was quite plain and the price for this dish was $47. The high point of the meal was the chocolate hazelnut cake, which was delicious - even exceptional.
A note - a friend had told us to have the flambeed filet mignon, but we ignored his advice which may have been a mistake. All things considered, we thought the value for money was sub-par and wouldn't go back. There are too many excellent restaurants in Quebec to spend your money here.

1  Thank templet
There are newer reviews for Le Continental

Reviewed October 10, 2010

I was staying at the Chateau Frontenac which is just down the street and read a number of reviews, plus this restaurant was recommended by a colleague back home. I called the restaurant at 7 PM and could not get a reservation until 9 PM. It was worth the wait. We ordered the four course fixed price at $48/person which had some lovely options. The tempura-type shrimp starter was delicious as was the soup of the day. However the real treat was the orange duck for two, that is prepared table side and flambeed and allowed to cook further. An entire duck was cut up by our waiter/chef. It was absolutely superb. The duck was succulent and the sauce exemplary. I wish I could have more even though the quantity was more than generous. It is accompanied by a plate of grilled vegetables and mashed potato.
Service was always friendly and attentive even though they were very busy.
Dessert and coffee were included and were also quite good.
This is definitely a place I would go back to when back in Quebec.

1  Thank irapbmd
Reviewed September 8, 2010

As fine dining goes, this restaurant is pure euphoria. It may be pricey to some, but to those who appreciate the unparalleled cuisine, cost is inconsequential. It is the service, the perfect culinary experience and the sheer ecstasy of the ambience that is all part of the price at the end of the day. It is the best of establishments for a very special occasion, or to simply celebrate life and your good fortune to be able to experience such a place. Life is to live. You must treat yourself to wonderful experiences now and then. This is one.

Reviewed August 17, 2010

I made a reservation the previous night for 8pm on Saturday. I later ended up changing it to 7 and then again to 730pm. They were always courteous and accommodated my annoying time changes. The atmosphere in the restaurant was very formal and pleasant. We ordered the Escargot as an appetizer which were great. We then had the house special which is a flambe filet minion in a delicious gravy made at table side. The filet minion was the best I have ever had, melted in my mouth and although it was more than I could eat, I finished every last bite! The other main we ordered were the crab legs which were equally delicious. We skipped out on desert and had a glass of wine each. The bill was $155 taxes and tips included, which is quite pricy for 1 appetizer, 2 mains and 2 glasses of house wine. That being said it was delicious, so if you have the money don't think twice.

1  Thank nomore3X5's
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Waiters in white dinner jackets who prepare entrees, salads, and desserts tableside. Enough said.