“Fantastic Spot”
Review of Le Continental

Le Continental
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Continental is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 1,476 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Cross street: Des Jardins
Description: Total EnjoymentIn the gourmet world of Le Continental, traditional cuisine is classical. Enjoy the perfect service, the great flambéed dishes that pay tribute to the delicious French cuisine. The Continental's wine cellar is most impressive with its board of famous selection of French, Italian and American wines. It offers a choice of more than five thousand bottles, four hundred different varieties from Grands Crus classés to affordable prices.
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and I went here during our Honeymoon, and recently went back. We were not disappointed. This place is amazing - from the second you enter inside. The atmosphere is rich in colours and very intimate. The service is excellent - we had Dennis as our waiter both times and he was a real treat. The wine list and menu are expansive and impressive. Table side cooking is an art, and a very delicious one. The Caesar salad is the best ever, and the filet is superb. Truly this is a very special restaurant and one I fully recommend. I can't wait to be in the area again to go back.

There are newer reviews for Le Continental

Reviewed August 22, 2013

If Benihana has a French counterpart this is it. Eat something that must be flambeed table-side, or eat poorly. Wish we had known that you must eat the filet, flamed to the rafters by your waiter, to eat well. We did not know this and consequently ate a very mediocre, flame-free meal.

Le Continental is a throw back to the over-the-top "fine" French dining in North America from 50 years ago. Lots of show and pretense. It's extremely pricey from start to finish. $35 for 2 orders of Crepes Suzette or Cherries Jubilee seems just a little silly.

If you have an unlimited budget and want to experience a North American 1950's version of luxury French food, please go right ahead. There is a reason this type of dining went the way of the Dodo.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

'Le Continental' does not disappoint and the setting is perfect- reservation made by Le Chateau Frontenac was exact - all dinner-jacketed waiters are pros - our waiter 'Steve' did a friendly and professional service - flambes like few other restaurants do - fab scampis and scallops - followed by 'Crepes Suzette' perfect indeed - complimentary pousse-cafes were offered for our anniversary - this is our favorite resto in Quebec City. Bottom line = delicious and a must - Bravo

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had high expectations after seeing Anthony Bourdain rave about this place on Parts Unknown. We came to celebrate a special birthday on a family getaway to Quebec City. We were a group of 11 and so they gave us a private room upstairs so we didn't get the full effect of the main room ambience.
If you are curious about this place for the same reason (Anthony), then it's not worth your time...
The service: disappointing. Our waiter had such an attitude, it started us off on the wrong foot.
Food prep at table: This was the main reason we came to this restaurant. He prepared the Caesar Salad and Beef Wellington in a corner of the room instead of at the table! By the time it was time for dessert we requested that the Crepes Suzette be prepared at the table, which he agreed to do, after making it clear that he was doing us a huge favour.
Food quality: I ordered fish - DON'T ORDER FISH! This is a meat restaurant. Everyone that ordered meat was pleased with the food, the fish was terrible. The Caesar salad was flavourless and over-dressed. Anthony Bourdain... if you're reading this and you want a tasty Caesar salad, call me. That being said, the Crepes Suzette (so I heard from those that had it) were MAGNIFIQUE, which is a nice way to end a meal. Beautifully and classically prepared, full of flavour, so go for dessert!
Value: Very expensive for the quality of food and service. I also didn't touch my fish and complained about it and they had the nerve to keep it on the bill!
Overall: Not impressed, wish we had gone somewhere smaller, more creative... there's always next time

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Just steps away (literally) from Chateau Frontenac is this great restaurant in the heart of old Quebec. It was very busy for a Sunday night but we were seated at a nice table without a reservation.

Decor rich and cozy. Attentive, experienced, professional waiters attended to us and we also had what seemed to us to be our very own personal waiter who was ever present but not intrusive.

Flambeed dishes are the specialty of this establishment and my companion was delighted to find Duck A L'Orange on the menu. The Dish was for two and I was happy to go with it. The mostly cooked whole duck was brought to the chafing table beside us and the dish was completed with liqueurs, oranges and lots of flame. The duck was served with vegetables and it was delicious. I almost licked the plate!! I had left no room for dessert - more's the pity because two of my favourite desserts were on the menu - Crepes Suzette and Cherries Jubilee. My companion chose the Crepes Suzette - his favourite - and again we enjoyed the preparation and flaming of the crepes tableside.

I can't remember anything about the price - who cared - after such a delicious experience - but I believe it was around the price range for a restaurant of this category. Definitely our best meal of a 6-day trip and one of the best for many years.

To add to the enjoyment, take an after dinner stroll on the street outside. It's a very enjoyable part of Quebec City. Everyone speaks English as well as French here.