“Charming, Old World Style”
Review of Le Continental

Le Continental
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Continental is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 1,499 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Cross street: Des Jardins
Description: Total EnjoymentIn the gourmet world of Le Continental, traditional cuisine is classical. Enjoy the perfect service, the great flambéed dishes that pay tribute to the delicious French cuisine. The Continental's wine cellar is most impressive with its board of famous selection of French, Italian and American wines. It offers a choice of more than five thousand bottles, four hundred different varieties from Grands Crus classés to affordable prices.
Reviewed October 28, 2012

At first, we were intimidated by the old school French restaurant atmosphere of Le Continental. We didn't know how to order or what the protocol was. However, we were put at ease by the friendly wait staff. We realized we were welcome for the evening and started to really enjoy watching the flambes at neighboring tables. We had the Caesar Salad made table side. Very delicious and generous portions. The bread was crusty and warm. My husband chose a yummy Cote du Rhone wine. My daughter and I split the salmon and it arrived perfectly cooked with delicious sides. My husband had the special, the veal shank, and it was tender and flavorful. We indulged in two desserts, creme brulee and chocolate raspberry cake. Yes, it's old fashioned. Yes, it's expensive. But it is a treat and unlike any other place. We will remember that evening for ever.

1  Thank LDGinVA

Reviewed October 24, 2012

If you are looking for a dining experience "from the old days", this is the place for you. Flambees are the order of the day with table side service for many of the dishes. We started with lobster bisque and escargots followed by filet mignon. The portions were generous with the exception of the crepes suzette, which, while delicious, were overpriced. Our waiter was friendly and attentive. While we had a somewhat intimate table, the place was very busy on a Saturday night which I found just added to the ambience.

1  Thank kdpei
Reviewed October 23, 2012

i went with a group of four people and we all chose something off of the "fixed," menu. It was approximately 50 dollars and it comes with (1) soup; (2) an appetizer; (3) main course; (4) dessert and coffee. Two of my group chose the Duck for two and they flambe it in front of you. At first i was skeptical because I thought it was mostly show, but then I tasted it and I was really impressed. The duck was very tender and was the best duck I had in QC out of my three separate visits. Myself and another chose the Snow Crab, which had an ample amount of meat and was also very good. The waiters are well dressed and professional, and I could see that the ambience would very nice for a romantic dinner for a couple. One thing to note though, I thought that dessert at Lapin Saute was superior, specifically, Lapin Saute's Maple Syrup Creme Brulee is amazing. Still quite a good experience, and its located within minutes of Chateau Frontenac, in the upper city.

1  Thank Francis L
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Table service is outmoded, and for good reason. While it is a good show, it does nothing for the food. I want my meals to be cooked by a chef, not by a waiter, especially one who is performing table service for 3 tables simultaneously. We had the orange duckling flambe. The sauce was ok, but the flesh was dry.

The wine was French, and unfortunately, terrible. It wasn't because the bottle was bad. It was the wine. Frankly, a restaurant of this class should pay special attention to its wine list. The half bottle of Pinot Noir should be removed from the menu.

Overall, not a good experience, and for the price, you could do way better in Quebec City.

1  Thank Nimrud69
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I really enjoy the food and service. It s an expensive restaurant but it really worth it. Everything was so good! Highly recommended:)