“13 anniversary dinner”
Review of Le Continental

Le Continental
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Continental is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 1,506 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Cross street: Des Jardins
Description: Total EnjoymentIn the gourmet world of Le Continental, traditional cuisine is classical. Enjoy the perfect service, the great flambéed dishes that pay tribute to the delicious French cuisine. The Continental's wine cellar is most impressive with its board of famous selection of French, Italian and American wines. It offers a choice of more than five thousand bottles, four hundred different varieties from Grands Crus classés to affordable prices.
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Having never been to Quebec City, I relied on Tripadvisor & Open Table for choosing a restaurant for our anniversary. We were very pleased with where we ended up.

It is not cheap. It is not fast. It is a service intensive meal/presentation that shouldn't be missed.

Highly recommended.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,252)

Reviewed August 29, 2011

On a very blustery night when Hurricane Irene was hitting Quebec City, we ventured out to keep our reservation at Le Continental. It was a warm looking place and we anticipated a great evening after seeing the trip advisor reviews. However, the anticipation quickly turned to dismay at the horrible treatment we received from one of the head waiters.
We had dressed up because it was our 40th wedding anniversary and had carefully made a reservation. When we walked in, we were ignored for 10 full minutes by the head waiter at the desk. The restaurant was empty with the exception of one table. When a younger waiter finally approached us, we said we had a reservation. He mentioned this to the head waiter, who shrugged his shoulders, never consulted the book, and waved us to a table for two in the entryway.
We sat down and the head waiter approached our table. We asked for the wine list. He never spoke a word. I should mention that my wife is fluent in French and lived in France for a time. However, since I do not speak French, she speaks English in restaurants in my presence. The head waiter also spoke English along with French. It was not a language barrier issue that caused our following problems.
When he finally brought the wine list, he walked away for a full 15 minutes, straightening silverware and glassware. We could not get his attention. We finally ordered the wine.
We got the wine about 15 more minutes later.
I had a few questions about the menu and we wanted to make it a special evening with special food. When I began to ask this particular waiter about the menu, he turned his back on us and walked away! We were astounded! So, we decided on our own to order a Caesar salad and the roast duckling, both of which are made tableside.
By this time, a group of 4 people dressed in sweatshirts and jeans came into the dining room. He placed them at the table right next to us (almost touching us) despite the fact that the room was empty. One women spent the entire time on her cell phone, disrupting our conversation. Another man came in wearing a wet ballcap, shook it out on the floor, and put it back on. This was not quite the romantic atmosphere we had anticipated.
When this waiter took the order for the Caesar salad, we told him no garlic in the bowl as I can have a reaction to garlic. And we also said no anchovies for my wife because she is allergic to them.
When he came to prepare the salad tableside there was a huge garlic clove in the bowl. We mentioned no garlic and he picked it out with his fingers. But the smell and oil was prevalent in the salad bowl. We requested that he get another bowl. We also noticed that he had a separate plate that contained the croutons, bacon and the anchovies all together and touching. Anyone who has a food allergy knows that even a piece of that food can cause a problem. We said once again that my wife was allergic to anchovies. He made the salad and said, "but madame, it is just a little bit." And he put the anchovies, bacon and croutons in the salad, with a piece of anchovy that was left to top my salad.
It is extremely dangerous to serve food to which a person is allergic. When we tried to explain this, he walked away, leaving the salad plates in front of us. I think he got the point when my wife gave her entire salad to me.
We also asked that the next courses not be served until the course before was finished.
Well, as soon as the Caesar salad was delivered, a cart with a half-cooked duck was rolled up. We said we were not ready for the main course yet, but he insisted that it sit there. It did, for 45 minutes. We also noticed that everyone's main course was wheeled out and left to sit for at least 30 minutes out in the dining room waiting to be prepared tableside. This included fish and meat and fowl. In the meantime, the aisles were blocked and people kept moving the tables to get by, brushing on the food.
This head waiter finally understood that we were upset at being served food we could not eat. So, we then had a parade of 3 different waiters working on the poor duck tableside. Each one tried to engage us in genial conversation and did try to change our unhappiness. The duck was very good and well prepared. However, the first staff member had so influenced our feeling about this restaurant that it was difficult to enjoy the meal.
We refused dessert because we just wanted to get out. All our hopes of a romantic multi -course dinner had been dashed long before.
Finally a gentleman who appeared to be in charge came over and offered us a free cognac.He obviously knew something was wrong. We refused. We left the restaurant and went out into the downpour and wind, sorry that we had come out to celebrate our anniversary.
I'm really torn because the food was actually good, the restaurant could have had a great atmosphere, but the head waiter was absolutely rude and totally ruined the evening. The restaurant is located very close to the Chateau Frontenac, a tourist filled huge hotel. He treated us like we were in a tourist cafeteria, with arrogance and dismissively.
If I didn't have to put up with the service, I might have gone back for another meal. We won't return. Fortunately Quebec City has a lot of wonderful restaurants. We spent our money there.

9  Thank robbinbobbin
Reviewed August 28, 2011

The four of us just had a wonderful dining experience, each one of us loved the dishes we had ordered, great salad, flambe steak, salmon, deserts, the srevice was also superb!
Its a bit pricy but worth ebery bite of it.

Reviewed August 27, 2011

This restaurant has it all, great food, wonderful ambience and a professional staff that knows when/how to make your meal great. I would recommend you try at least one of their flambe dishes both for the show and the taste.

1  Thank Snowbird1986
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I love this place. Very traditional French. Great waiters. At your table, they will make a caeser salald or you can order among several others on the menu. We chose the table side, and it was just right.
For main course, I had the flambeed whisky shrimp--outstanding. My husband ordered the seafood platter (not prepared table side) and said it was ok but nothing special. Our friends had steak flambeed table side and said it was excellent. All come with a side of veggies.
Wine list is reasonable.
Waiter that we had had clearly been doing this for years and was perfect in every way.
Location is great too.