“Absolutely first-class”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Rue Desjardins
Transit: No Charge
Description: La Crémaillère fête ses 40 ans. Depuis 1971 le restaurant la Crémaillère a toujours été au centre de la gastronomie de Québec et un repas à La Crémaillère demeure un classique incontournable lors d’un passage dans la Vieille Capitale. Aujourd’hui la cuisine est confiée à Jacques Le Pluart. Figure importante de l’histoire gastronomique de Québec son style raffiné et authentique saura vous combler. Beppino Boezio le propriétaire n’as rien perdu de sa passion. Personnage haut en couleur et très connu a Québec, il vous accueillera avec classe et simplicité. Beppino a vu passer bien des personnalités. Il importe ses vins directement des producteurs et avec son associé Michel Antoine ils ont concocté une offre de vin unique et remarquable. Les expositions de peintres et les choix musicaux font qu’un moment à la Crémaillère sera une expérience culinaire et artistique qui enchantera vos cinq sens.
London, United Kingdom
“Absolutely first-class”
Reviewed September 19, 2010

We crossed North America from Maine to Victoria, BC in July and August 2010, and our meal at La Crémaillère was far and away the best. We had the table d'hôte 3 course meal and the cuisine of each part was exquisite. We chose one of the least expensive wines and it was top-class. So often meals are let down by the vegetables, but they were cooked with flavour and interesting sauces. A steak was quite superb. This is top French cuisine in a lovely restaurant in the Old City. We paid £114 for two people- and yes, that's expensive, but it was the meal of a lifetime!

Nassau, New Providence, The Bahamas
“Would do it again in a flash.”
Reviewed August 10, 2010

The occasion was my wife's 50th Birthday and we were honored by Michelle (one of the Owners) who did so by serving us personally. Needless to say the evening was a treasure.
The place was very tastefully decorated it was quite and there was no rush. The food was excellent as was the fine wine. We will be back.

Blue Hill, Maine
“Pretentious & overpriced”
Reviewed July 16, 2010

There used to be a very good French restaurant at this location but since that proprietaire retired and another establishment took its place, we decided to give it a try. While the food here is above average, everything else about this restaurant detracts from that. It looks like an overblown movie set of an expensive French restaurant but all is pretense and the staff here is just acting a part. There is no personal touch. There seemed to be 2 maitre'd's who swept around importantly, a cadre of busboys who spoke neither French nor English, and a truly inattentive waiter who appeared theatrically with a big, fat pepper grinder when each course was presented. It was almost laughable, except when the bill was presented. Skip this farce.

1 Thank Mainemermaid
Boezio, Directeur général at Restaurant La Cremaillere, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Dear Sir:
My name is Luigi and I m the new manager of La Cremaillere. I was very disappointed reading your comments. It surprised me because it is at the contrary of the most part of comments. May-be we deserved you bad criticism and we don't' look forward being excused but we would like to amend your perception of our restaurant. Since 1971 La Cremaillere piles awards up and delighted and incalculable amount of Epicurean.Today we have one of greatest French Cuisine Chef of Quebec history and an unparalleled and remarkable wine cellar. Also I"m sure that the service we provide can disappoint you again. Why don't you contact us? we will be glad to easy your second try to the restaurant la Cremaillere.
Kind regards.

Luigi Boezio
Montreal
“A strange night it was”
Reviewed July 7, 2010

First I have to say the decor is very very nice. It is very intimate and very romantic. We had first a very good waiter, friendly, who answered our questions always with a smile. Then I guess he finished his shift because from our main course until our desert we had several other waiters, who were not nice at all. It was clear they wanted us to leave asap.
It's not like we took 3 hours to eat our dinner ; we didn't drink wine ! One of them even didn't answer one of my husband's question regarding the chocolate cake... He looked at my husband and left. Without excusing himself or without any explanation.

So the service was so-so, except for the first waiter we had. The food was OK, nothing spectacular, very at par with other less expensive restaurants in Quebec city for probably much less. I would agree this restaurant is overpriced and overated and would not go again.

1 Thank RedWineDrinker23
cambridge, ma
“La Cremaillere is one of the best restaurants I've been to”
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Everything at La Cremaillere is top-notch, from the moment you walk in to the moment you leave. I have been every time I have visited Quebec, and have nothing but wonderful things to say. The ambiance of the restaurant is just perfect--not pretentious at all! The lighting is perfect for an intimate dinner with friends or a loved one, and the music is subtle but enjoyable. The waitstaff is attentive and knowledgeable, catering to your every need--something you cannot say about most restaurants. The food is certainly one of the best things about the restaurant. It is always delicious, from the appetizer to the dessert. I have sampled many different items on the menu, from the Chateaubriand (quite memorable and wonderfully presented right at the table) to the Dover Sole (with a decadent almond sauce)--and don't forget to try the steak Tartare (truly special)! I have visited my share of top-notch restaurants (mainly in the States) and have never witnessed the gratitude and satisfaction of customers leaving La Cremaillere. It is not uncommon to see a diner leave the restaurant only after lavishing praise upon the restaurant's owner--I have NEVER seen that before! Overall, you do not want to miss this gem in Quebec City. For a wonderful dinner out, it is a must-go.