“Perfect !”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Rue Desjardins
Transit: No Charge
Description: La Crémaillère fête ses 40 ans. Depuis 1971 le restaurant la Crémaillère a toujours été au centre de la gastronomie de Québec et un repas à La Crémaillère demeure un classique incontournable lors d’un passage dans la Vieille Capitale. Aujourd’hui la cuisine est confiée à Jacques Le Pluart. Figure importante de l’histoire gastronomique de Québec son style raffiné et authentique saura vous combler. Beppino Boezio le propriétaire n’as rien perdu de sa passion. Personnage haut en couleur et très connu a Québec, il vous accueillera avec classe et simplicité. Beppino a vu passer bien des personnalités. Il importe ses vins directement des producteurs et avec son associé Michel Antoine ils ont concocté une offre de vin unique et remarquable. Les expositions de peintres et les choix musicaux font qu’un moment à la Crémaillère sera une expérience culinaire et artistique qui enchantera vos cinq sens.
Reviewed January 10, 2013

New Year's Eve dinner here was spectacular. Ate early off the menu, but they had special sittings later with preset menu. Staff fantastic, beautiful decor. Food was nothing but perfect. In Old Quebec city. Beautiful place to walk after dinner. Will definately go back !

6  Thank Itsneverlongenough

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Seeking an exceptional dining experience without breaking the bank, we were directed to La Cremaillere by the concierge at the Château Frontenac. We were rewarded with a $$$$$ experience at a $$$ price. The Chef's Specials provided a complete multi-course meal that entertained our pallets for a long and very-lovely evening. There were 5 of us and finding a restaurant with an intimate surrounding that offered something for everyone was a challenge. The presence of a very nice pasta dish on the menu accommodated our lone finicky eater without constraining the experience for the rest of us . Listen to the advice of your gastronomic guide at La Cremaillere and you'll enjoy a sumptuous dinner that will linger in your memory as a highlight of your trip to Quebec City.

7  Thank AbuKathleen
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stumbled on La Cremaillere on a previous visit to Quebec, around 2002, somewhat randomly while roaming around the city with a friend. In the interim between that visit and this one, I had quite forgotten the location, and even name, of the restaurant, but did have an enduring, fond memory of a fine meal, congenial service, and warm, cozy atmosphere.

When I wound up in the city again recently, I recognized the name on TripAdvisor, and with some excitement that it was still in business we made reservations (via Open Table) to visit again. Although this was on fairly short notice, for a Saturday night, they had many open times in the 6:30-7:30 range. We made 7:00 reservations. When we arrived, we informed the Maitre d', in the usual fashion, that we had a reservation. He made no comment on this and did not ask us under what name, etc., which we both thought was peculiar. As he showed us to a table in the nearly-empty dining room, however, it became evident that no reservation had been necessary at that hour, and so I suppose they didn't bother keeping track of them. Still, it would be classy to at least say, "Ah, [your name], yes, we have your reservation-- here is your table."

After arriving, I spent much of the evening wondering if I had been mistaken about the name after all-- it didn't seem at all like the same place I remembered. I later learned that that restaurant had, in fact, moved from its previous location several years ago. The new atmosphere is (by my memory) quite different from the old-- more formal, perhaps less enchanting. There was nothing objectionable about the atmosphere, but it seemed a little stiff-- reminded me of the "nice restaurants" I've been taken to on job interviews.

At our table, we were first greeted by an older, quiet waiter, who I will call Waiter A. He got us started with menus and information. His English was imperfect, but better than my French, and we were happy to work with him-- but shortly after a younger, more chatty waiter (Waiter B) took over. The switch was unexplained, but we presumed it may have been because he spoke English more fluently-- not something we needed, but perhaps it was intended to be for our convenience.

We placed our orders for drinks, appetizers and entrees (salmon and red snapper). Some minutes later, a third person (Waiter C?) came to tell me the kitchen was all out of snapper, and suggested I consider the salmon. This didn't put me out, as I had been considering the salmon anyway. But I was a little surprised that (a) the kitchen had already run out of an entree, when we seemed to be among the first 3 or 4 arrivals for the evening; and (b) that, if the kitchen was so short on (or out of) an entree, neither of our first two waiters had mentioned the fact.

I can't recall who actually brought us our entrees, but it wasn't Waiter B (who we were starting to think of as possibly being "our" waiter), because shortly after their arrival he came by and said "But-- you ordered the snapper! That's not the snapper, it's the salmon!" I explained that the kitchen was out of snapper. He seemed genuinely surprised to hear that, which led me to wonder whether the kitchen really was, in fact, out of snapper.

I will say that the food itself was indeed very good. Our spinach soups were tasty. A green salad I ordered was fine. We both agreed that the salmon was delicious and well-prepared. Obviously, I can't comment on the red snapper.

After we had finished our entrees, however, we felt sort of abandoned by our various waitstaff. It took at least 15 minutes for someone to notice that there was nothing but salmon skins left on our plates and clear them away (this is about 10 minutes longer than I personally enjoy examining salmon skins). At that time, my companion told me she wasn't feeling very well (unrelated to the meal) and would like to get back to our hotel. But it started to seem like a bit of a joke that we were unable to attract the check to our table. Of course, it's appreciated when a place dose not hurry a diner out the door-- but there is a balance to be struck between that, and forgetting that they are there. This experience felt decidedly like the latter. Admittedly I did not get up from my table to go search out the check, or wave my hands, whistle, etc.-- but one should not have to do that in such a restaurant.

By the time Waiter A did give us our check, we had been sitting for 20 minutes at an empty table and were feeling desperate to leave. Our total (for two glasses of prosecco, two soups, a small salad, and two entrees-- no dessert) came to $135. When I left the tip-- which was more generous than I really felt inclined-- I wasn't even sure which of the several wait staff I was leaving it for. Perhaps at this restaurant all the staff split all the gratuities-- that could explain a fair amount.

I recognize my review is out of step with most of the other reviews here, and possibly we just hit an off night. But in honesty, considering the price, I didn't feel it was a stellar experience. And my 3-star rating is a one-star upgrade over what my companion urged.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

This restaurant was a choice between 4 from a package deal through our hotel. We were visiting over Christmas (24th, 25th, 26th). We chose La Cramaillere for our Christmas meal. If you want to enjoy a restaurant in Old Quebec, one that maintains its French atmosphere but also has staff who speak English beautifully, you might wish to visit this restaurant. For the Christmas day meal they have a special menu, however we were able to replace an item from the regular menu for a little extra cost. Staff were courteous and very professional, food was delicious. If you are in a hurry this might not be the restaurant for you. The pace is slow. Our reservation was for 7, we were seated about 20 minutes late and dinner was not finished until about 10:30. But neither my husband nor I minded in the least. This was our special night out and we left feeling very gratified. Our main server Stephane, was entertaining and funny, but paid great attention to all of his customers, from what I could see. Our bill came to about $60 above the voucher - paid via the hotel package - a little steep, but we didn't mind on such a special occasion. My guess is the meal might have been approximately $100 - $120 without prepaying. For us, worth it.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

This restaurant brings you back to the 60's or 70's - or at least my conception of it. It's in a beautiful old house with a cozy classic decor. The night we went, the owner was there greeting people and going from table to table to welcome them. It's really old-school but it's cute.
The food was very good, but again, it's really classic french food. Don't expect anything surprising or new. They have filet mignon, pavé de saumon, canard confit, suprême de volaille, you know, all those meals you would expect from a french restaurant. Nothing more.
It's very good, but I found it was probably most popular among american tourists, because I think it's probably the kind of place some of them are looking for when they come to Québec City.
When I went they had a deal : if you're a student of Université Laval, you buy two Tables d'hôte and you get a free bottle of wine. That was really cool. Otherwise it's pricey, but not overly so, considering the quality of the place.
Oh and the service is very very good. An enjoyable experience.

2  Thank sherkan2