“Old-school charm.”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Rue Desjardins
Transit: No Charge
Description: La Crémaillère fête ses 40 ans. Depuis 1971 le restaurant la Crémaillère a toujours été au centre de la gastronomie de Québec et un repas à La Crémaillère demeure un classique incontournable lors d’un passage dans la Vieille Capitale. Aujourd’hui la cuisine est confiée à Jacques Le Pluart. Figure importante de l’histoire gastronomique de Québec son style raffiné et authentique saura vous combler. Beppino Boezio le propriétaire n’as rien perdu de sa passion. Personnage haut en couleur et très connu a Québec, il vous accueillera avec classe et simplicité. Beppino a vu passer bien des personnalités. Il importe ses vins directement des producteurs et avec son associé Michel Antoine ils ont concocté une offre de vin unique et remarquable. Les expositions de peintres et les choix musicaux font qu’un moment à la Crémaillère sera une expérience culinaire et artistique qui enchantera vos cinq sens.
Reviewed November 24, 2012

This restaurant brings you back to the 60's or 70's - or at least my conception of it. It's in a beautiful old house with a cozy classic decor. The night we went, the owner was there greeting people and going from table to table to welcome them. It's really old-school but it's cute.
The food was very good, but again, it's really classic french food. Don't expect anything surprising or new. They have filet mignon, pavé de saumon, canard confit, suprême de volaille, you know, all those meals you would expect from a french restaurant. Nothing more.
It's very good, but I found it was probably most popular among american tourists, because I think it's probably the kind of place some of them are looking for when they come to Québec City.
When I went they had a deal : if you're a student of Université Laval, you buy two Tables d'hôte and you get a free bottle of wine. That was really cool. Otherwise it's pricey, but not overly so, considering the quality of the place.
Oh and the service is very very good. An enjoyable experience.

2  Thank sherkan2

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I visited this restaurant with a tour group; the staff had no trouble taking care of 56 people. We began with a pork rillette accompanied by a cornichon and delicious bitter orange marmalade. This was followed by a silky pumpkin soup. My succulent roast pork came with mashed potato, mixed vegetables, and a tasty balsamic-rosemary sauce. Dessert was an iced honey-almond nougat. My only complaint was that my single glass of pinot noir cost $16.50!

1  Thank Saltyblue
Reviewed November 4, 2012

The warm welcome, delicious food, excellent wine, attentive service and pleasant atmosphere. A real find.

1  Thank Denise J
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were recently vacationing in Canada, specifically in Quebec City and stumbled upon this restaurant located in the "old historic" part of Quebec City. I have to say that the whole dining experience was exceptional. We were waited on by Lawrence and Salomon who were both extremely friendly and attentive to our needs and very informative. The owner, Luigi was extremely welcoming, and of course the food ... absolutely amazing! We had been told to stay away from the restaurants in the "Old" part of town because they were "touristy" and rather expensive, but this was by far, one of the best dining experiences we have had. The restaurant is located in an old three-story house, very quaint and beautifully decorated. Would definitely recommend this place, and hope to go back one day. Thanks again to Salomon and Lawrence!

1  Thank MayraS414
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I were really excited to try this place based on other reviews. Wow, were we disappointed. Our server seemed pretty charming when we arrived, but as other diners came in, I noticed he used the same jokes and lines on them. Ok, so the guy had his schtick. After the soup course, things started to go downhill flavor-wise, and the much hyped seafood stew was a bust. It was ruined by combining seafood and salmon with a freshwater whitefish that tasted murky. My dessert was an apple pie that had a burned crust and was all around tough and cold. Given the inauthentic treatment by the waiter and the so-so meal, I'd say this place is no more than an upscale tourist trap.

1  Thank MinneapolisRhoades