“A mixed review”

Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was one of our few planned places to eat during our trip. I didn't disappoint but it certainly did live up to the reviews here on TripAdvisor. Perhaps it is because I read the reviews here that I come out of the experience a bit biased but I agree with many of the reviews. The food and service were very good but expensive based on what you get. It was our costliest meal during our trip.

The fondue and choices offered us met our expectations. Atmosphere was rustic. In the room we were seated in was very eclectic by design, triangular in shape and seemed that the walls were the exterior of 3 different buildings. We wondered much about the stories they would tell! Anyhow, we had a 3 course fondue meal recommended by our server who I think could have been the owner. Portions were properly sized although it seemed small at first.
I think what gets you thinking about the price is that you are served bread with the fondue cheese, meats to dip in the sauce and fruits for the chocolate. It doesn't seem too complex to prepare. We accompanied our meal with a couple of beers and sodas for the kids. So there was no bottle of wine to make it more expensive.

Bottom line is we were here for the experience, we paid for it but it was good. Would we return, maybe, if we longed for the experience again - not many fondue places in NJ but there's always that chain somewhere. Otherwise, I'd rather seek out a nice bistro! Still I'll give it 4 stars. If the price could be $15 less per person then this would have been a different review and the 5 stars given.

1  Thank SteveCap

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Best known for their fondue and raclette and justifiably so. The portions were generous. I had the fondue and my wife the raclette, both of which was accompanied by the exact charcuterie and bread needed. The staff is friendly and helpful. The ambiance has the feeling of being in the alps where these dishes are typically served. A great place to spend a quiet dinner enjoying delicious dishes.

1  Thank Alain N
Reviewed February 6, 2013

A fellow travelwriter suggested we try fondue some evening in Quebec and we heard that this was THE place to go. They were correct. Multiple kinds of fondues filled the huge menu and each was better than the one before.

We tried raclette broiled in a traditional swiss oven which was heavenly and the triple cheese fondue which was out of this world. Great wines as well.

Be sure to wrap up with the maple fondue with fruit for dessert. Fantastic.

Quaint surroundings, pleasant and helpful staff all made for a great dinner.

1  Thank TravelWriterDB
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We ate here with our two small kids over New Years vacation. The food is very good, particularly the cheese fondue. But what makes this a must do is the excellent service and festive atmosphere. I would hit it as a couple, group or family who want to show their kids a neat way to "cook."

1  Thank L K
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We tried this place for the first time yesterday. We were a group of 5 persons from Quebec City that love to try new restaurant and this one is in our city since 20 years (In a very touristic area).

Our experience has been TERRIBLE and this is why :

First : The service was pretty bad.

Our waitress (a old lady) was terrible and made various comments about our sitting position (the 2 persons who was taking cheese fondue were not sit together....), about the logistic of the fondue equipment (the table with the wine, the beer, the water, the plates was pretty crowd) and treated us like children (we have late 20 mid thirties).

Second : The Food is very good but not the SIZE !!

I took the ''Triplette'' a fondue trio (Cheese, Chinese, Chocolate) and the others took different kind of fondue like the Classic fondue (very small), the classic Chinese (very small) and the Diablo Chesse fondue (who was NOT diablo at all.....). There was no side-dishes with the Cheese Fondue (except bread....) and the Chinese fondue was served with 4 different sauce, red onion sparkles, 2 pickles, 2 little white onion and a small salade.

Because of my Triplette I ate enough...or kind of (I'm a girl with a good appetite)...but my friends who took only a fondue (for 1) were starving.....The chinese fondue included only 6 slices of beef big as a coffee plate...

My chocolate fondue (dessert) was ridicule (see the picture). It's was for 2 persons because one of my friend took it also. It's 30$ if you buy it in the menu....but in our case it was included in the triplette....The size of the chocolat fondue is so small and the fruits.....no comments.

Third : THE PRICE !!!!

It cost me 104$ for a triplette, a beer glass and a bottle of wine (44$ : Fendant de Sierre....pretty good stuff).

I don't mind for the beer and the wine...but around 40$ for the triplette it's really toooo expensive for what you get...I had to pay for an extra 6$ for 10 tinny cubes of Gruyere cheese with my fondue (6$ !!!!).........

My bill was the more expensive because of the wine...but each of my friend paid between 30-40$ for the fondue...again TOO expensive...they had to eat something else after....

Fourth : The Service AGAIN !!

After the supper, we told the staff VERY GENTLY that we were not satisfied with our night..that the food was excellent but the portion too small and too expensive...a young lady and a men were very sorry about our experience..(nothing more).

......but as soon as we got off of the restaurant our waitress got out outside (it's winter here...around -20 celcius) to yell at us asking us what was our problem and telling us that ALL THE CUSTOMERS were normally pretty happy with the meal and the size of them. We try to give our opinion one last time (very politely) but the lady was still yelling at us outside...

It's the worst service I've never had.

Next time I will know what to do with my 104$ !

1  Thank Artheasis