“Very Nice Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Restaurant Initiale
Ranked #2 of 1,379 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: European, Canadian, French
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Years of tireless work by chef Yvan Lebrun and his partner Rolande Leclerc have earned L'Initiale Grand Chef Relais & Chateaux certification and an AAA/CAA Five Diamond rating. The pair's passion for flavor and authenticity is reflected in everything they do, and the restaurant boasts a decidedly local sensibility, featuring some of the region's top products and artisans.
NYC
“Very Nice Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

i did not want the tasting menu ‘cause they usually take forever, although I was in no hurry to do anything. We had a menu where it includes an appetizer, entrée, desert, and two surprises. I was thinking it would be wonderful if one of the surprises were like a trip to Maui. No such luck.

One interesting thing about this restaurant is that they explain in-depth about each and every item on your plate. I am not kidding. You cannot even have the tiniest leaf on your salad without them explaining what plant it came from, say, in the Yukon, and why it was harvested during the winter.

The only really exciting thing during the meal was the waiter mistakenly took our bottle of wine (it was not in a wine bucket near our table, but at a nearby small table) and refreshed another diner’s glass of wine with it. I gave him the death stare and he immediately realized his mistake and gave us two glasses of comparable wine. That was funny.

Oh ….

The food was very good. I had the deer (yes, they called it deer, not venison) and my husband had piglet.

My only complaint was that the restaurant seemed to warm.

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
3 Thank cm7872

• Korean first
quebec
“excellent probably the Best in Quebec city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Amazing presentation, cooked to perfection, but be ready to fork over some money, if you want one of the best its here.

Antananarivo, Madagascar
“Excellent service. Great food but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I went to this restaurant with 3 friends. First of all, right from the moment you enter the restaurant, you notice the high level of service you will get. It's impressive, almost intimidating.
We were seated in the saloon until our friends arrived and proposed some drinks but we opted to wait.
Then we were led to our table. We had an early reservation at 6:30pm so the restaurant was still quiet.
You have two choices of menu for dinner: one 8 service for around 130$ a pop and one 5 services ( includes 2 surprise small dish from the chef ) for around 70$.
We trusted the staff in regards to wine recommendation and we were not disappointed. I opted for the 5 service menu. Had seabass then a filet of game. The surprise apetizer dish was like 3 bouchees of fish ( a soup, a rillettes and a gelee ) .
The food was excellent but...I think I found a hair on my plate...didn't make a fuss about it, maybe I should have complained but didn't want to spoil the great evening we had. There are days where I am not a difficult customer.
We spent almost 5 hours in that restaurant. It was great, the service was consistent and each dish was carefully explained.

Will definitely go back again for a special occasion...for now, I have exploded my monthly restaurant budget.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
4 Thank Haja R
Montreal, Canada
“Parfait”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Un service impeccable.Une ambiance feutrée.Une cuisine savoureuse.
Une offre de vins aux verres un peu courte par contre.Quand même un incontournable.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

It was absolutely perfect. I have to admit, I was a bit leery at first due to the selections on the menu. The items were quite different from my regular diet. But I am so glad I still went. It was delicious! Everything was well.... perfect! The atmosphere, the staff, the food, and the location. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The chef did an amazing job. Each meal was cooked to perfection with just the right amount of everything. Every meal had so much flavor. Each guest with me tried something different so we could taste the different items. And make sure you don't skip out on dessert!!! They were drool-worthy!

• Visited December 2011