“Good food at a decent price”

Restaurant Gab's Resto-Bistro
Ranked #188 of 1,467 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: Grill
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
“Good food at a decent price”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Excellent tartare, 2 sections (one sporty, one more lounge).
The lounge section more quiet (good for couple).

• Visited June 2014
Jean R, Propriétaire at Restaurant Gab's Resto-Bistro, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you for your excellent opinion. Hope to see you again soon.

Saint Marys, GA
“Very good for many years!”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Been back with friends for (again) a very good dinner at Gab's Resto-Bistro. We've been there several times over the years and always had a good meal at decent price. Stable employees force too. We had the "Table d'Hote" , appetizers, main courses and desserts were all good; couple with very good service and "voila", another very good evening!

• Visited June 2014
Jean R, Propriétaire at Restaurant Gab's Resto-Bistro, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for the excellent comments about us. We appreciate all our customers to come more frequently in our restaurant especially knowing they come from as far as Georgia. I will communicate this review without delay to our team who will be delighted.
“A hidden treat”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This bistro is located in a small strip-mall in a Quebec City suburb. I have been dining there for years. My late neighbour introduced us to Gab's, as he insisted that their salmon tartare was the best in the city - indeed, it is a very nice version that I will often select. Despite one's first impression based on it's location, it is an elegant and energetic bistro that is great for couples, a group of friends, families (maybe not if your kids still need to run around or cry, but it's fine for polite but chatty school-agers), and would be perfect for a lone diner. The benefit of being in a shopping plaza is that parking is free and easy (compare to the Old City!). It's got a bit of a sports-bar flavour because there are a few TV screens around, but nothing rowdy or that distracts from the restaurant's upscale ambiance. The food is a million times better than Cage aux Sports, too!! The staff and service are superb: friendly, attentive and respectful. The menu is creative yet comfortable. The outdoor summer terrace is as lovely as possible in a parking lot, but I especially enjoy going in the winter, as it seems to be an oasis of warmth and coziness. Food is pretty much always delicious. I love going to Gabs as it's very authentic - too far off the path for tourists (I have nothing against tourists, but the clientele always seems to be very local). Once, I invited friends to join us at Gabs (she's a world traveler and he was a Louisiana chef); her first impression when I told her the address was as hesitant "well, then I won't wear my dress", but I insisted she dress nicely, as do I when I go, and she was very surprised and pleased with the atmosphere. Her chef husband was justifiably impressed. Hmmmm - maybe I'll try and get a table for tonight!

• Visited April 2013
Jean R, Propriétaire at Restaurant Gab's Resto-Bistro, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for your excellent comment on our restaurant. Everything said is much appreciated! You have well resumed all the points that make a visit at the Gab’s an enjoyable visit, considering atmosphere, food and convenience. Wishing you a great week and making a table available for you tonight!!

“My favourite in the city”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I live in quebec city and have experienced many of the restaurants. Nevertheless, Gab's in my favourite. The atmosphere is great for a couple, a family or simply with friends. The staff is delightful; always smiling and making sure everything is as desired. They serve warm bread before the meal and it is delicious. There is a wide variety of things on the menu and the price is more than good for the quality of the food. (Their pasta is fantastic) The only thing is that tourists might not like the location since it is not downtown or close to most hotels or old quebec and such; but it's worth a go !

• Visited September 2012
Brampton, Canada
“Excellent”
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Great ambience, fabulous cooking. Fine, fine, fine. I had the Thursday night Promo, General Tao chicken. The chicken was a flavourful breast chopped in cubes, and very lightly breaded and soaked in sweet and sour sauce- excellent. The sauteed mixed vegetables with mandarin , snowpeas, and cashews was extremely fresh , crunchy, and savoury. Two breaded shrimps and two imperial rolls with dipping sauce were perfectly made. Even my ice tea tasted bette than elsewhere. This establishment should exist in Toronto !

• Visited February 2012