“Great little pub/quebecois bistro!”
Review of Delice Du Roy

Delice Du Roy
Ranked #807 of 1,468 Restaurants in Quebec City
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
alberta
“Great little pub/quebecois bistro!”
Reviewed January 26, 2009

This is a really excellent little place. Cozy and inviting, with great food. Quebecois food through and through, but that's why you travel - to taste the local food rather than another ceasar salad. The staff is truly genuine, and very accommodating of my limited French language skills. We had pea soup, followed by duck tortetiere - perfect melt in your mouth pastry - and finishing with house made chocoloate fondant cake (like a lava cake). Very well priced for the food quality. Good selection of beer and cider on tap. By far our best meal of our stay in Quebec city!

Newmarket, Canada
“A Wonderful Dinner”
Reviewed September 24, 2008

This is a small but excellent bistro in the lower city. It is quiet and intimate and you can sit by the fireplace on a chilly evening or outside in the sunshine for lunches in the afternoon. The food is simple but excellent and very quebecois. The service is wonderful and friendly. It was our favourite meal of our trip.

1 Thank Philly413
Greensboro, NC / North Myrtle Beach, SC
“A Dinnertime Disaster!”
Reviewed July 12, 2008

Delice du Roy is located in an 18th-century structure in the Lower Town portion of Quebec. After checking a menu, my traveling companions and I decided to have an al fresco dinner here: what a mistake!

Like many touristy restaurants in Quebec, Delice du Roy provides English menus (and English-speaking servers) for tourists. The menu ranged from pizza and salads to filet mignon with foie gras. The prices, unlike other restaurants in the city, were quite budget-friendly.

My companions ordered pizza and a sandwich, and I opted for the chef's salad. My salad (C$9) was a nice bed of "gourmet" greens dressed with a balsamic vinaigrette topped by a sliced boiled egg, two large pieces of smoked ham, and an enormous block of brie. The salad was quite good despite the fact I had to cut up everything myself. My companions were happy with there meals as well.

Then came the rain: just as we began our meal, a light summertime sprinkle transformed into a deluge! The edges of the large umbrella we were sitting under collapsed, pouring water all over us and our table. While another server helped his table quickly move inside, we were ignored; servers scurried to move signage and menus inside, but left us to fend for ourselves. We would have gone inside, but the restaurant was suddenly full of people trying to avoid the sudden shower. Huddled outside under the umbrella, we managed to move our plates further under the umbrella and ate standing up.

Once the rain abruptly ended, no one came to offer us a towel to dry our soaked chairs and my soaked shirt (despite the fact servers and the hostess emerged several times from inside the restaurant after the rain ended). Our server, unseen since bringing our food to the table before the rain, reappeared to bring us our bills with no apology or assistance offered. For only the second time in my life, I left no tip.

For obvious reasons, I cannot recommend Delice du Roy.

2 Thank history_prof_2b