“Best Steak in the city”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Cross street: Boul Jean Lessage
Description: Le Charbon est l’Authentique steakhouse à Québec. Depuis ses débuts, la qualité et la fraîcheur de ses produits font de l’établissement un incontournable de la Vieille Capitale, dans une ambiance unique en ce lieu historique qu’est la Gare du Palais. Sa cuisine incandescente en est une digne de la plus pure tradition des vrais «steakhouse» : cuisson sur charbon de bois, bœuf canadien de l’Ouest de qualité AAA «Sterling Silver» et procédé de vieillissement à sec d’un minimum de 30 jours de certaines coupes. Le Charbon is the authentic steakhouse in Quebec City. From the first day, the quality and freshness of its products have made it an inescapable establishment in the Old Capital, in the unique ambiance of the historic site of the Old Train Station. The Charbon’s cuisine is worthy of the most renowned steakhouse in the world: maple-charcoal-grilled cooking, AAA «Sterling Silver» Western Canadian beef, minimum 30-day aging process as well as dry aging of certain cuts.
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely amazing. Definitely the best steakhouse in the city, and one of the best I've ever been to. The service was friendly (we were able to adjust our reservation at the last minute with no trouble). My family is mainly anglophone, and the hostesses and waitresses were more than willing to help us in English, as well as providing us with English menus. Our waitress was extremely friendly and knowledgeable, offering excellent suggestions for food and accompanying drinks. The timing between appetizers and main courses was perfect. The food was presented well, and was cooked exquisitely. Overall, I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting to pay a little more for an amazing steak dinner. 10/10

Reviewed December 12, 2013

We had a wonderful dinner here, the location alone is worth a visit in the train station. Service was fantastic and attentive, the atmosphere is great. The steaks are amazing what flavour! I loved that they gave us coleslaw to start with the bread basket. If we return to Quebec City we will definitely dine here again. WE had the calamari and caesar salad both delicious. We shared a dry aged Rib Eye steak and that was the highlight of the meal, cooked perfectly and one of the best steaks I have ever had.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

We just moved back to Quebec City and we had never tried Le Charbon. We remembered hearing very good reviews in the past. Maybe things have changed or maybe this restaurant was never good!

First, the service was awful. We were seated in a high circulation area right under an air vent. It was so cold and drafty that we asked to be seated elsewhere. The restaurant was almost empty on a Friday night but it still took them 15 minutes to relocate us. Then came the waitress. Bad attitude. Did not even ask if we wanted wine...

The food...unbelievably bad. We can easily prepare a much better dinner at home ourselves. The meat was dry and tasteless even though I asked it rare. I don't think they cooked my asparagus and everything was cold.

Finally came the bill. We could not wait to get out of there... 200$ later and feeling like we had just been robbed. We don't mind paying as much for a good food experience but that is not what we got at Le Charbon.

Don't waste yout time and money. Avoid this place at all cost.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was my first visit to the steakhouse.

I chose to be seated on the large terrace at the back. A nice quiet area.

The service I received was outstanding. I could not ask for better. I ask the server for some recommendations and she was very helpful.

They had a decent wine list. I ordered a glass of red wine. The assorted breads were tasty.

I ordered:

As my entrée: the traditional Cesar salad. The lettuce was fresh and the dressing just right. There wasn't too much dressing.

Main: the Rib Steak Dry Aged - This is their signature steak and came recommended by the server. I was expecting a thick cut of meat but when the steak arrived I was surprised to see what looked like a thin grocery store steak. Had the server not said that it was the dry aged rib steak as she was serving it to me, I would have assumed that it was a mistake.

The steak was cooked to perfection (med rare). What did not impress me was the taste - it lacked flavor. Rib steaks are marbled but this steak had thick strips of fat that made the steak even less appealing. It was disappointing.

I had a side of potato wedges with Parmesan cheese and special mayo based sauce - and that was good.

I think I will give this place another try. I'll order a different steak to see if maybe I came on an off night because, as I said I enjoyed everything else.

Again, the service was tops.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

The steaks were excellent!! Very tender and juicy. Good value and service, worth the 20 minutes walk.