“Friendly service and varied selection of traditional choices”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe St-Malo

Cafe St-Malo
Ranked #30 of 1,432 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: French, European, Canadian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Mount Airy, Maryland
“Friendly service and varied selection of traditional choices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Cafe St-Malo staff graciously greeted us and prepared a table outside that had just cleared. Choices included sweetbreads, lamb shank, beef tartar, salmon and many other appetizing options. I had the bacon and pea soup, venison ravioli and my wife had goat cheese salad and the cassoulet. All were delicious. The wait staff coped with sudden thunderstorm by moving the three outside parties to the upper ding area very smoothly. Strawberries with maple syrup, read wine and a cream topping for dessert was a welcome light treat after a fantastic meal. I highly recommend this bistro.

Visited August 2014

New York City, New York
“Spectacular Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

I found this restaurant through Yelp! and it was great. I had the penne pesto and it was delicious. My mother had the salmon tartare and it was so fresh and just what we had wanted and more. Priced well. There are tons of other places around the area to get a similar meal, but we really enjoyed this place.

• Visited August 2014
Mendham, NJ
“Great french bistro faire”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

We had their signature cassoulet, which was very good, served with a duck leg confit on top. We also had the boudin noir (blood sausage) with apples, which was excellent- and a dish that is hard to find. The apples were peeled and had been slowly baked to a fluffy softness. Next time I'll get something other than french fries to go with it, though. We also had the rabbit in two mustards sauce. The rabbit was very tender, but had a lot of tiny bones. The two mustards sauce was amazing, not overly mustardy, just right and a perfect complement to the rabbit.

• Visited July 2014
Ridgefield, Connecticut
“Great food at a great price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

A very authentic bistro with delicious food. After experiencing very over priced food at other establishments we were very happy to come upon this restaurant. The sweetbreads and steak tartar were excellent and I would definitely go back again to try other of their traditional dishes.

Visited August 2014
San Diego, California
“I like it so much...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

People come to Quebec City to have French food, and that is what I did in past 6 days. I tried lots of French restaurants around old Quebec (along Rue Saint Jean), and this one, Cafe St-Malo, although located a bit off the busiest area, impressed me the most. I had it 2 times, and I strongly recommend the following:
Starter: salmon tartare and duck confit; Entree: lamb shank and veal shank (osso buco milanaise). I really hope I can stay a bit more to try them again and again! Now I think I understand why French food is so famous in the world... Also, you expect fewer people in this restaurant compared to the ones at Saint Jean because of the location (although only 5-10 minutes walk down hill from St Jean Gate), and that is a big plus as it is less crowded/noisy and less wait!

I strongly recommend this restaurant and I wish I can come back real soon!

• Visited July 2014