“Nice atmosphere, food was fine”
Review of Cafe de Paris

Cafe de Paris
Ranked #219 of 1,525 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Description: Discover fine French and Italian cuisine that will match your expectations in a peaceful, warm and romantic atmosphere.
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We arrived for dinner a bit past 5:30, early i know, and were seated right by the window. THis qws done clarly to make us visible to the passers by. We were given the luncheon menu and eh wiaer must have overheard us comment on that and wondering where the dinner menu was. He quickly handed us the dinner menus and scooped up the luncheon ones. He came back to the table and told us that there would e a 20% discount off the prix fix meals. My assumption was that was because we were the first ones there for dinner and were serving as a window decoration.
My wife had the duck breast and I had the veal scallopini and we both enjoyed our dinners. A strolling, singing guitar player pleasantly added to the atmosphere which included a fireplace
and some artful paintings. Service was prompt and polite. My only disapointment was that we asked for water, which was brought without ice and moreover, never refilled. Our servings of coffee also were never refilled.

Given the discount we received, the price for dinner was reasonable. Otherwise, I would consider the prices high for what you receive.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I don't like giving bad reviews, but here is my sad story. My wife and I walked by this cafe during the day. We looked into the window and saw a charming, cozy Paris-style bistro that beckoned us to try it for dinner. Big mistake. I should have sensed trouble right from the start. When we arrived that evening, we found an attractive young lady trying to pull people in from the street to dine there for dinner. Great restaurants never need to resort to these shameless tactics to fill seats. The food was truly lousy and over-priced. I had the Ceaser salad and Beef Bourgogne. The salad dressing was awful! The beef was as tough as shoe leather and the sauce was a salty nightmare that kept me up most of the night with horrible heartburn and acid reflux. My wife had the French onion soup which, to be fair, was good, but the Mussels in white wine & garlic broth were pathetic and tiny. Small portions, poor quality food and high prices-A sure-fire recipe for a very disappointing dining experience!!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I'm a Francophile par excellence so I couldn't resist the Café de Paris. But I should have. The restaurant itself is quite attractive--fireplace, singer, tablecloths, etc. I saw Escargots Bourgogne on the menu and was immediately pleased. $14 or so for a dozen snails prepared in the "French" way is too much to resist. Then I found out they weren't in the shell and, unbelievably, that price was for only 6!!! Never in my life have I paid that much for a half dozen. We were in Paris earlier this year for a couple weeks and I ate snails almost every night. The typical price for a dozen ranged from $12 to $15. And that was for escargots in the shell! So, even though the cost doesn't matter to me, the principle did and I passed on the snails since the price was insulting. I had a pasta with a white cheese sauce and it was excellent. The house wine was quite OK, albeit for $9 a glass, not cheap--it should have been $6 or $7. I had vanilla ice cream with hot chocolate for dessert and that, too, was OK. My wife had a very plain salad for $9 and felt that was way too much money. Her quiche was OK but overpriced. Most of all she complained about the apple pie she had for dessert. It was just large slices of apple in a thick, untasty crust. She wasn't happy with it at all. So, while on balance the meal was just about OK, there are so many good restaurants in this area with excellent food at fair prices, I must caution you to stay away from the Café de Paris. Paying double the price for a half dozen snails is too much even for a genuine Francophile!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

The atmosphere (decorations, live music, etc.) was great, but the food was just OK. Much better food at other area restaurants.

1  Thank MidwestTraveler34
Reviewed October 1, 2012

If you are a tourist and you are in a historical part of Quebec City, Canada, you immediately feel it’s aura, amazing feeling you get usually in old l French cities… If you want to keep this feelings and you are hungry, there is a good place to satisfy both, and it’s a restaurant “ Café de Paris” (66,rue Saint- Louis, Vieux-Quebec). On September 2nd, 2012, it was my second visit to the place and I was pleased higher of any expectancies. Amazing peaceful atmosphere, elegant interior, great food and unique professionalism of the staff. At the next table it was a group of Americans and I heard: “why do we have to go hell far away to French Paris if we get here such great place”… Of course I disagree with the man about going to REAL Paris, but he probably meant not geography but the Parisian spirit. And if you want to taste real Parisian food you will get it here, may be with some accent of Quebec. The waiters not only serve you, they are good narrators ( may I was lucky again), and when I asked about Pate Maison (home made Pate) or Tarte aux Sirop d’Erable (home made maple syrup pie) my waiter did explain in all details what is a difference between the stuff they cook and serve and what you could find in any other place. Believe me – it adds something good to all your feelings.
Rue Saint-Louis begins near great Chateau Frontenac, the epicenter of Old Quebec, and Café de Paris is only two hundred steps from the Chateau and the Samuel de Champlain monument. Easy to find, easy to get a warm welcome… But when you leave the restaurant, don’t forget to cross the narrow street and right across from Café de Paris you’ll find the only big tree on a street, and underneath at the base you see… an ancient cannon-ball, half seen half inside. People like to take pictures of this witness of the old Quebec’s glory. Hundred more steps toward of Chateau Frontenac and you find a unique art gallery, where they show and sell great artworks of Inuits, Canadian Indians. You see – so close to a historical canter and so many different pleasures. All this is just a small part of things you can see and do in the Old Quebec.
Alftul