“A Taste of Old Quebec”

Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Reviewed July 18, 2014

With a decor of the Quebec blue and white table settings and natural wood tones provided by interesting wood cuts, the environment is inviting and cozy. Food offerings are excellent and include wild game. We had the salmon in puff pastry and the scallop and shrimp coquille. Both were excellent. Wine selection is good. Wait staff is friendly and are anxious to show you the best of the Quebec cuisine. Recommended for lunch or dinner.

1  Thank TheRodg
Write a ReviewReviews (2,837)

Reviewed July 16, 2014

The price fixe menu is quite a deal for hungry diners. We had about 20 selections of traditional Québécois dishes to choose from, including beer or wine, soup, entree, and desert. I had the delicious pea soup, a game meat pie, and sinfully sweet maple sugar pie for desert. The decor is authentic, servers informative, and food delicious. I would definitely return!

1  Thank Laura V
Reviewed July 16, 2014

The food here is as advertised--hearty Quebecois fare. When was the last time you had caribou? Bison? Well, here you can get it if you so desire. The only thing missing is a Royal Canadian Mountie, and he may have been in the kitchen, for all I know. My wife and I took advantage of the "early bird special," 5:45 pm and earlier. The special, at a rock-bottom 19.95 CAD, includes a soup, main course, dessert, and choice of wine or beer. The Grandma's pea soup was tasty and not as thick as the American version of pea soup. The meat pie was very good, although it could have been warmed a bit more. The dessert, maple syrup pie, was very sweet (too sweet for my better half), but I enjoyed it, sweetaholic that I am. The best thing about the meal was the service--Mathilde was as charming and pleasant a server as we've ever had! The venue was quaint and probably not too far removed from its original state, a century or two ago. All in all, a solidly good meal in a true-to-its-roots, authentic Quebec restaurant

Reviewed July 16, 2014

We walked in right at the beginning of dinner time and were seated without a reservation. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We did the table d'hotel which was a bit too much food for us, but we wanted to sample as much as we could. The meat pie was very close to my grandmother's and was delicious.

1  Thank Stefjcyr
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We (family of four) stayed at the Chateau a few nights. We ate here the first night as its right around the corner and came back for more on the third. I had meat pie (just like my granmother used to make). It came with meatballs, some sort of fruit based side and a couple of beets. It was perfect. I chose the price fixe option, so it also came with onion soup, poutine, dessert and coffee. It was nothing short of a feast and the food was tremendous. The kids split a meat pie platter as well and my wife had the salmon. All were very pleased. We'll be back (again).

2  Thank MrFood2