“Canadian Fare”

Aux Anciens Canadiens
Ranked #29 of 1,432 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: French, Canadian
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Nokomis, Florida
“Canadian Fare”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We tried to eat at this restaurant on the first day we were docked in Quebec. We couldn't get a reservation. We ended up going to a small cafe and my husband and I shared a meal that was very good, but we ended up paying the same as advertised as a three-course at Aux Anciens Canadiens. The next day we waited until they opened and we were able to get in right away. My husband had the pea soup and I had the pumpkin (Canadian Thanksgiving Day!) We both enjoyed our entrees, but the pie was wonderful. I had the maple pie and my husband the pumpkin and both were delicious. The restaurant is the oldest remaining home in Quebec City and has a European feel. The price was right as everything is included and only 19 Canadian dollars. We enjoyed it and I was only sorry I didn't try the meat pie which was just like my mother and grandmother made when I was young!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Philadelphia,Pa
“Wonderful food in a charming setting.”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We enjoyed a delightful lunch at Aux Anciens Canadiens. The food is delicious and the offerings are unique. The restaurant is nice inside. Our service was perfect. One of our favorites in a city of wonderful options!

• Visited September 2013
Oakville, Canada
“Cozy, quaint, home cooking”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We were in Quebec City for the Thanksgiving long weekend. Even though we know turkey dinners aren't traditionally part of French Canadian Thanksgiving, it was something we really wanted, and were fortunate enough to find it at Aux Anciens Canadiens.

Aux Anciens Canadiens may not be the fine dining experience that you can find many other places in Old Quebec, but they serve up delicious home cooking. Here is my review of their

Review of my Mom and I's meal: prix fixe thanksgiving meal

1st course: tomato and zucchini on a flaky pastry
The filling looked sloppy but tasted amazing, and the zucchini was perfectly cooked (not too mushy like it can often become) and the pasty was outstanding, so light and flaky!

2nd course: pumpkin soup
So flavourful! Pumpkin and squash soups can often be flat and lacking flavour but this was delicious.

They brought home baked bread with butter with the soup. The garlic toast was dry but the plain home baked bread was lovely.

3rd course: Turkey breast with stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables.
Turkey was moist and flavourful, gravy was nice, cranberry sauce was amazing and not the canned stuff, mashed potatoes were fluffy, stuffing was fluffy and flavourful and vegetables were perfectly cooked...kept their vibrant colour and still and a nice crunch.

4th course: I had the caramel apple cheesecake and my mom had the pumpkin pie and I had a chance to try both. To me the cheesecake was too cheesy and the pumpkin pie filling wasn't quite the flavour and texture I'm used to but there was nothing wrong with it. I tasted a bit of my dad's which was vanilla ice cream with maple liquor and I'd have to say that was my favourite.

Service: Staff was lovely, very friendly. I wouldn't eat here if you're in a rush because our server seemed stretched to the limit (it would take her awhile to get back to us, but we could see that it was because she was busy with other tables) but we were there for a leisurely dinner so the slower pace suited us. We were one of the last tables in the restaurant and they never rushed us out at the end. Only thing I don't like is they knew my dad was celiac and they brought his ice cream in this wafer like bowl which they said "just don't eat the bowl" when really they shouldn't have brought it in that in the first place.

The decor is a bit county but that was perfect for a thanksgiving type meal. I wouldn't go here for a "fancy" or "upscale" meal but if you're hungry and want some home cooking, this is the place.

Toronto, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Far below expectations”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Based on trip advisor we expected to enjoy our meal. The historic ambiance was pleasing, however the food was suboptimal. We ordered off the fixed menu and it may have been one of the worst meals we have ever payed for or experienced. Strange textured food, very salty and unsatisfying. We aren't even picky eaters. Do yourself a favour and dine elsewhere.

1 Thank j s
Arlington
“A piece of history and a very good meal.”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is a very popular restaurant with tourists, small and crowded. Eating here is an experience for the history and unusual food choices. Although the greeting was very slow and unprofessional, the service was good and we enjoyed this special place.

• Visited September 2013