“Didn't live up to the hype” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cafe Le Hobbit
Ranked #27 of 1,427 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: French, European, Canadian, Soups
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Gatineau, Canada
“Didn't live up to the hype”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We decided to try this place based on the reviews here. Unfortunately, it didn't quite live up to the hype. As a starter, we ordered the fried calamari, which was quite good. The curry mayo/sauce that came with it was delicious, I thoroughly enjoyed it, though I wish there had been a bit more.

For a main dish, I had the veal with cognac sauce and my wife had the filet mignon with a win sauce (I believe it had blueberry in it too). I thought my meal was just ok. The veal was decent, the side was a mix of string potatoes and sweet potatoes, which was ok but not too practical to eat with a meal. I think something like mashed potatoes would have been better. My wife's meal was better, the filet was very good, the sauce was excellent, and the mashed potatoes were delicious. However, we thought the size of the filet was rather small compared to other places where we've ordered filet mignon. As a dessert, we shared the tiramisu. While it was pretty good, it tasted nothing like tiramisu, which was a bit of a letdown since we were kind of craving that. All in all, a decent meal, and I'd give the place a 3.5 if tripadvisor allowed it, but can't bring myself to give it a 4 given the level (and hence price) of the place.

Visited June 2013

“Outside the old walls”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at a BNB in the St Jean neighborhood and had dinner here. More local than "inside the walls" and excellent quality and value. Tasteful decor,North American dishes with good wine selection and ample portions. Goes well with a shopping trip across the diagonal from JA Moisan "boutique" grocery.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank PepeNC
“Ok, just a little underwhelming”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Visited on a Thursday morning with my wife. A few business men at a table but otherwise empty. I had the eggs benedict and she had French toast. The meals took a little longer to arrive than we liked. The eggs were not much to look at, and the English muffins were clearly the same ones you can purchase at the local grocery... tough and chewy. The sauce was quite good and so was the coffee. My wife's french toast was better but nothing to write home about. We ended up approaching the bar to pay as the waiter seemed preoccupied. Was too expensive for what we got.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Context is everything. While Bilbo and company were not to be found, as our last meal of our time in Quebec City we were intri”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

This is a little big place. Small interior without feeling crowded. The beet salad and crab cakes are excellent starters. The curried mayo is made in house and you'll want the convince the chef to shar3 the recipe.
We split the beet salad and crab cakes by the way...both top notch!
We ordered the salmon burger and the lamb burger as our mains.
Wonderland version of surf and turf...even the buns (made in house, fresh and bakery-like) are something you've once held with gratitude at a gourmet foodie backyard BBQ.
Do yourself a favor...eat here. Food is fab, the prices fair and your date will think you're cultured, well travelled and a real keeper.
Desert has to be th Bagdad Cafe...no words do this one justice just take my word for it.

• Visited June 2013
Calgary, Canada
“surly service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Disappointing experience - server rather a grumpy hobbit. Hamburger buns were burnt and no apology was forthcoming. Home fries good. Not likely to repeat this experience even though outdoor patio was great for people watching.

• Visited May 2013