“Friendly staff, sweet potato sauce!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cafe Le Hobbit
Ranked #26 of 1,427 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: French, European, Canadian, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Japan
“Friendly staff, sweet potato sauce!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Our meal at Le Hobbit was excellent. The atmosphere and decor of the restaurant is nice, with lots of pictures on the wall, and good music playing.
The staff are very friendly; our waiter checked on us frequently, and was quick and eager to answer any questions we had, even though we pestered him fairly often.
The prices aren't cheap, and might be a little high, but the food is very good.
I had the venison skirt steak, which was very tasty. Even more than the steak, however, was the orange sweet potato mash under the steak, which was literally one of the best things I have ever eaten. If I was given a bucket of that heavenly concoction I would have gorged on it until I passed out.
My wife had the duck compote, which she quite enjoyed, but she said it was a bit too salty. She would recommend ordering it with reduced salt if possible.
The restaurant is located a bit out of the old city, which is nice. There were very few people when we went, but I doubt that is the case all the time.
Ask about the sweet potato sauce!

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Guelph
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Great place for lunch, dinner, breakfast or even just a glass of wine and chacuterie plate. Small, cozy and in a good location. Baguette was to die for! Seemed to get booked up in the evening, so I would recommend a reservation if poasible.

Toronto, Canada
“Tasty but Tardy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Food was great. I particularly like the French onion soup. I am a connoisseur of French onion soup and I really really really enjoyed the French onion soup. I also had beef tartare which was delicious. The food took a long time to get to us, but they made it up to us by giving us drinks on the house. Prices were very reasonable. The waiter was happy to suggest a wine and beer We also tried the beef tenderloin and trout and all were great. Ambiance was great. One person had trouble figuring out which was the men's and women's washroom, but he's not the most brilliant. Great restaurant.

Toronto
“Great breakfast place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Had a late Saturday breakfast with the family on vacation, and would happily return.

Eggs benedict was perfectly prepared, we liked the selection of both traditional and newer, creative dishes to choose from so that the family could go whichever direction they wanted (what is it with places serving only the nouveau/creation/art breakfasts that might look good but taste no better than classic bacon and eggs, and which kids generally hate? but I digress...)

Service was fun and friendly, coffee was excellent, OJ a little small and wish it was fresh, breads OK if a little hard. Place large enough to accomodate everyone constantly streaming in. All in all, was a great breakfast choice.

• Visited December 2012
Kingston, Canada
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Limited menu for lunch, several hambirgers which didn't look like french food. Maybe it's more a place for breakfast. The french fries were really good.

Visited December 2012