“Yummy but Easy on the Sauce”
Review of Le Chic Shack

Le Chic Shack
Ranked #40 of 1,483 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: Fast Food, Cafe
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Le Chic Shack is a new gourmet burger/milk shake restaurant opened in June 2012. We also serve poutines, fries and salads. For dessert, we offer milk shakes and ice cream sandwiches. The owners of Le Chic Shack are the sister-brother team of Lucy and Evan Price. They are also owners of the renowned Auberge Saint-Antoine and Panache restaurant in Quebec City. Located in a historic building owned by their family for five decades, Le Chic Shack reflects their culinary and interior design expertise. In creating their new restaurant, Lucy and Evan worked closely with their management team and Chef Mikael Garneau, previously of Panache, The Culinary Edge of San Francisco (California) and their local supplier base.Beyond our tasty recipes, these are some features that make Le Chic Shack stand out:* brioche buns made by local artisan baker Borderon et fils * sweet potato fries (along with fries from white potatoes)* uniquely built poutines - from side to main course dishes* milk shakes and ice cream sandwiches made with old fashioned coaticook ice cream * our own fruit sodas and ice tea* draft beer from the local Archibald brewery* draft wine selected by the sommelier of the Panache restaurant* the dynamism and energy of an open kitchen* a relaxed dining environment with tremendous views of the Chateau Frontenac through large French windowsLe Chic Shack is located on the Place d'Armes in the Vieux-Quebec (Old Quebec), facing the Chateau Frontenac and below the Musee du Fort.
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I would love to give Le Chic Shack five stars but I will explain the downgrade later. But first, the POSITIVES:

The restaurant is situated in a perfect location right off the boardwalk in front of the Château Fairmont. Which is this beautiful castle that is now owned by Fairmont Hotel. They have tall wooden tables, tall windows and high ceilings. It's really a beautiful restaurant, great beer selection, and their homemade sodas are awesome. The bathroom was spotless. The staff was super friendly and you could see the kitchen station, which was beautifully clean, organized and kept up. The chefs/cooks were very nice too when I asked about the burgers and their ingredients.

We ordered the Le Shack and the Le Robuste. The Brioche buns were amazing and the burgers were just the right size. The Robuste is made with Bison meat, which I have to say, was cooked perfectly. Bison meat is very lean and due to that, it is overcooked and dry the majority of the time HOWEVER these guys did that meat justice (perfectly cooked). It also comes with "Gentlemen Sauce" which I am not going to make any lude jokes but it was very good. The french fries (we got the classics) were phenomenal!!! Cooked perfectly, lightly seasoned and I mean lightly. I do not like salty fries so it was really nice that this place took it easy on that. We also got the Homemade Sodas in Blood Orange and Mango. They were awesome, not super sweet at all and you could actually taste the fruit.

The NEGATIVE:

Unfortunately, there are two reasons I had to knock off a star.... First, I asked for ketchup and napkins (it was a to go order so we could sit on boardwalk and enjoy the view/weather/etc.) They gave us ONLY two ketchup packets AND LIED to my face when I asked twice for napkins and this was by the manager. For one thing, I should not have to ask for either; it's just common sense. Then, considering the prices it should have been a no brainer to even overburden my order with napkins, mustard, ketchup, etc. Second reason for "star" knock off, is can they stop slathering so much Mayo and/or Aioli on everything?! Seriously, I love both but I do not want my food literally "drowning" in it. My husband took a bite out of his burger and the Aioli (he got Le Shack) oozed between his fingers, it was disgusting...and he says, " Where's the beef?” He got a mouth full of nothing but Aioli. I swear I felt like we were in the Whole Nine Yards (filmed in Montreal and Quebec City) with Chandler.... uhhhh I mean Mathew Perry telling the waitress no "Mayo" on his burger and the cook slathers it on anyway.

My suggestion is that you should go, it is very good, but be very clear about "EASY" on the sauces and if you get a to go order, TRIPLE check your bag for the standard accompaniments...like NAPKINS!

1  Thank RuxCooks
EvanBP, Owner at Le Chic Shack, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear RuxCooks,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a well-crafted commentary on our restaurant.

I am going to look into the question of how take-outs are packaged right away. I agree that is not acceptable.

And also wil, talk to the chef about the Shack Burger - which also happens to be my favorite. Not sure what happened there but will try to find out.

Hope to see you again on your next visit to the city.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

The burgers are great and the fries/poutines are amazing!

They have many different types of burgers and it just tasted really good. The poutines are great and again there are many different types but even the traditional are a little different ( still worth it).

Reviewed September 9, 2013

A bustling place in Uptown Quebec. Went there for dinner - not the best choice as it gets REALLY busy and we had to wait to be seated for over 40 minutes! But the food was delicious: not too many items on the menu but everything they have is made right there, even the pops, which makes the place unique. I liked their poutine - tasted really home-made - and herbal tea as well.
The view from the upper part or patio is magnificent.
Recommend to go outside of lunch/dinner hours or come early.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

The food, atmosphere and staff were great! Loved their take on poutine and enjoyed the soda. I was in Quebec City 4 days and enjoyed lunch here 3 times! Prompt service, excellent food and great atmosphere, make this restaurant a must try when visiting the city! Highly recommend ! Just wish I had tried one of the desserts....

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Travelling with a couple of picky teens, it can be difficult to find something the whole family will enjoy. After reading the reviews, we visited Le Chic Shack & it was a great experience! I appreciated the atmosphere of the restaurant which is kind of rustic modern. The style is consistent down to the presentation of the food which is thoughtful & adorable. Familiar food with a twist on everything to make it special. The "le chiquito" burger was awesome (and the lowest-priced)...soft bun & very flavourful. The signature fries with parmesan & truffle salt were great, too. The kids topped off the meal with some ice cream sandwiches (luckily we got the last 2 kitchen sink cookies before they ran out)...that was fun & very messy (especially the ones made with palmiers). A very cool atmosphere & the service was great, too.