“Amazing French Onion Soup!”
Review of Cafe De La Paix - CLOSED

Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Cross street: rue Saint Louis
Transit: RTC Quebec
Reviewed October 4, 2013

What a cozy feeling little Cafe just off the main Vieux street of Rue Saint-Jean. With a window view of the passing world, we sat in the warmth of this well-known monument of french cuisine. Needing just a quick bite but feeling compelled to eat here because of the beckoning of the french onion soup being purported to be quite good.
Our server was about what Americans might expect..he was nicer to the locals (french-speaking) than to us even though I did try to converse a bit in french. However, this did not deter my mother and I from our quest for the best french onion soup!
After we ordered our soup, our server brought the delicious bread with real butter of course. Delicious! Then, he brought our soup! Ah...FORMIDABLE! (fingers pulled together touching my lips as I say this!!!)
BEST FRENCH ONION SOUP I HAVE EVER HAD!
Enough said...go...enjoy!!!

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I have been to this little restaurant four or five times ... never been disappointed ... good service and good French food with a very nice wine list ... at lunch the place is quiet for some reason but that is just fine with me ... so go be happy and enjoy

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

A very nice restaurant with good presentation. Waiter was excellent. Salmon and steak very nice - but soup was just lukewarm and the vegetables were straight out cold. The house wine was good but the price on the menu was different than bill. Menu was apparently out of date. This could be a very nice quality experience with attention to the small things. They killed the mood.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We were seated and our order was taken by what I was told later was an owner. He was in an incredible hurry, rushing us at every turn, treating us in a clipped, exasperated way, as if we were the ugly Americans. The food was very good but it was tainted by incredibly purposefully bad service. The other wait staff was fine. I've never in my life left a zero tip; we asked the waiter if this would affect him, and he replied yes, but he was leaving next week. No surprise.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I first visited this restaurant in 1971 with our 3 young children and decided to give it a try again on our recent vacation trip. Aside from the price differential ( would you believe $25 in 1971 for a family of 5), we were very pleased. Our airport driver had told us that the restaurant was not as good as in 1971, but we were undaunted and were not disappointed, My husband had a veal dish and I had breast of duck. Both were excellently prepared and we found the prices equivalent to those we might find in a restaurant of similar quality in the United States. The best bargain, as in most of the restaurants we encountered in Quebec was the Table D'hote full meal. If you like what is being offered, you can't go wrong with that selection. My husband's meal included soup, main course and dessert. I did not care for the offerings so chose from the alacarte menu. We had a lovely table on the second floor right by the window.