“Recommend early dinner- Table D'Hote”
Review of Cafe De La Paix - CLOSED

Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Cross street: rue Saint Louis
Transit: RTC Quebec
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Great value for charming restaurant, with excellent professional service and superb cuisine. Highly recommend the Table D'hote as best value!

Reviewed May 18, 2013

The atmosphere was great, and they did a really nice job at making it romantic for my wife and I. The food came out at a relaxed pace, but the wait wasn't too long. The food was great overall, but the one thing I have to say is they cooked my steak well done when I ordered it Medium. Other than that, it was a great experience.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We has set out to eat at another restaurant, but they were closed (winter hours still), so continuing on, we came across the Cafe De La Paix. The early bird specials were a great value, and the regular entrees were pretty reasonable, too. The food was good, and the service attentive. I was favorably impressed!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was our first dinner in Quebec City and we didn't really have any planned places to go for food but as we walked around there were plenty of places on the main road but seemed very touristy. Took a turn onto a quiet side street and stumbled upon this restaurant. Since we were looking for something authentic and French Canadian it seemed to fit the bill.
Bottom line is the food was good and so was the service. The place had a more formal ambiance (a little tired looking) but given the tourist crowd, many were in casual attire. It didn't give that bistro vibe like Le Lapin Saute (see my other review). Plus it was pricier that usual. Given the other options, I would be more open to try elsewhere.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I wanted to give my French students a traditional French restaurant experience and booked this restaurant through my tour company because it seemed like the perfect place to do this.

Prior to departing, the restaurant contacted the tour company with four options for our meal. I asked each student what they wanted and the choices were sent to the restaurant. I made sure that I knew what the students ordered because I didn't want to have any mix ups at the restaurant.

When we arrived, however, the restaurant didn't have some of the options that we chose. Rather than salmon with shrimp, the restaurant tried to pull a fast one and serve us trout. Our tour guide called them on this but they made lame excused. Instead of Chicken Vol au Vent, the students were given some chicken and gravy that looked like left overs from the day before. When we were served a salad, it had nothing but lettuce and mayonaise for the dressing.

What's worse, the service was appalling and we were treated very poorly by rude wait staff. I was incredibly embarrassed because I was the one who had chosen this restaurant. I contacted the tour company and he contacted the restaurant manager but got no where.

Fortunately, our group did manage to find an authentic French restaurant experience at Restaurant La Cremaillere. The meal was great, service was great, and even the owners came around to talk to the students. I'll know where to go for next time.

3  Thank scotianscooter