“Very good menu”

Transit: RTC Quebec
USA
“Very good menu”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We were pleased with the menu choices and the house wine was quite good. But the noise level in this very small restaurant was often overwhelming. The waiters were fairly boisterous so head elsewhere if you are seeking a quiet dining experience!

1 Thank reddogsrule

Pasadena, CA
“Horrible attitude and average food...”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Visited on a Tuesday night and long after the rest of our food arrived and was finished, a long forgotten Caesar Salad finally arrived. When we tried to send it back, the huffy and puffy manager appeared and absolutely refused to take the Salad off the bill. It was a showdown at the Okay Corral but this French Canadian wasn't budging and rather than drag it on and on, we finally relented and paid for the untouched and tardy salad.

The atmosphere was ok and the onion soup was on the salty side but the Anciens Canadiens, next door, was far better than Cafe De La Paix both in atmosphere and in food.

Diners in Old Quebec can definitely do better than Cafe De La Paix.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Rocco626
Saratoga Springs, New York, United States
“Very Good French Food at a Good Price”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We went here on seeing that it was sort of off the beaten path and that it had good reviews. I would definitely recommend a dinner here. There were a wide variety of options- I had escargot and frog legs with unreal minestrone soup and my wife had a great filet. It was small and quaint with good service. All in all, the food is Quebec City is very good, but I would put this in the upper quarter.

Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Excellent food, service and price”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

By down the street, the previous reviewer meant, down a side street, which is why I think that when we went the restaurant was so quiet. We took the advice given, and went before 7 PM to get the price fixed menu. My wife had the farfelle and I the salad nicoise. Both were very good. Both were preceded by a lovely pea soup (soup of that day) and both were followed by a coffe/tea and desert. In my case coffee and chocolate cake in my wife's case tea (Twinings Earl Grey) and a creme de carmel. Both were excellent; although, admitedly, my cake portion was small. My price was 18$ and her's 16$. Dinner for the 2 of us cost less than $55 with 15% gratuity. In Quebec City, that's a welcome, and tasty, rarity! The restaurant itself was well decorated and nicely furnished.

• Visited September 2012
Philadelphia, PA
“Good early dinner special”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Next door to the more famous Anciens Canadiens, the Cafe de la Paix also offers a good early dinner special, and they serve it until 6:45 pm. I didn't think the food or atmosphere was quite as good here as at the Anciens Canadiens, but it was still very good -- and an excellent value on the 3-course $20ish menu. The Cafe also has a better kids menu than their next door neighbor ($12 gets the kids a complete meal almost as good as adults get for $20, like tasty steak).

As an American dealing with the poor exchange rate, I don't think the full priced menu would have been a good value. But if you get the early dinner, you will have a better meal than you would likely be able to find in America for $20. We had both the chicken and beef dishes, and everything was tasty. Service was good, and the atmosphere was very french-bistro style.