“Excellent pensione”

Ranked #15 of 119 Quebec City B&B and Inns
New Mexico
“Excellent pensione”
Reviewed October 20, 2008

Chez Hubert is a great little pensione hotel an easy walk from the train station, except for the last hill if one is unaccustomed to hills. Andrew, the manager, is terrific and will pick you up from the station; he also makes a wickedly good breakfast and is very helpful and knowledgeable about places to see and things to do. He will provide maps and business cards to local businesses. There is good wireless Internet access, which is free.

It is a shared bathroom affair, so be prepared to plan your time if you don’t like waiting for the shower. Everyone is easy to communicate with so it is like living with a big family or lots of roommates, simply coordinate if needed. I’m a late riser, which worked well for the older, early riser types that were there during my stay.

The room was very clean and typical for this style hotel; there is no closet or tv or minibar, it is just a bedroom with a sink, a bed, chair and dresser. For me, I travel to see things and thus my needs for a hotel are mostly centered around sleeping, washing up and storing my stuff not lounging about; that’s why there are spas. If however, you do need to lounge, there is one on the second floor, which is comfortable, has a tele, and there are apparently lots of DVDs to choose from.

Bottom line: This is a clean, affordable, well-located pensione with a great staff (Andy also has support from several local folks), and what ever you do, don’t miss the breakfast.

• Liked — Clean and affordable
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Florida
Reviewed July 17, 2008

My mother and I spent four nights at this historic b&b right in the heart of old Quebec. The owner, Andrew Barclay, is very kind and a wonderful host. He provided great suggestions on where to go each day including fabulous restaurants. The breakfast was scrumptious and we so enjoyed it. On our last day there, Andrew took us to the Farmer's Market, which was amazing. They had everything and very good prices. I would recommend a trip there!The b&b is very close to the Plains of Abraham, which is a great place to go jogging. The trails are good and you can go down to the river.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Third Level Sleeping Quarters
  • Stayed October 2008
1 Thank ValerieUSA
Brunswick, Maine
Reviewed June 15, 2008

My mother and I really enjoyed our recent stay at Chez Hubert B&B during a family reunion:
** Great location inside Old City walls
** Good price ($80/night + tax)
** Charming, accommodating, helpful host
** Delicious, big breakfast, cooked to order
** Free onsite parking
** Comfortable beds in pleasant rooms

To be considered:
** Because of high ceilings in handsome Victorian building, rooms are up two long flights of stairs
** Baths are shared, but with three baths for four rooms it never was a problem for us
** Rooms on street can be noisy when windows are open, but there are rooms on courtyard for light sleepers
** No A/C, but there are fans in the rooms

I'm already plotting to go back for a holiday with my husband.

• Liked — Location in Old City, excellent breakfast, great innkeeper, free onsite parking
  • Disliked — Street noise, shared baths
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Alison500
Brisbane, Queensland
Reviewed June 8, 2008

We stayed two nights at Chez Hubert - it was our first stay in Quebec City and it met our needs perfectly. As other reviewers have stated, Andrew, the host, is extremely helpful and accommodating, has a great sense of humour, and creates a great atmosphere in this B&B.

Even though all the rooms were full when we stayed, we never had to wait to access one of the shared bathrooms, and the room configurations offer privacy, comfort and quiet. The location of this gem of a B&B in the old part of the city - within the city walls - meant we could and did walk to everything. It was also easy to find by car.

There was a carnival atmosphere when we were there with the Ice Hockey World Championships, and just a stroll down the street put us in the heart of the celebrations and all the main attractions. The free parking was also a big bonus.

Andrew's touring and eating tips put us in touch with the real Quebec City, including some great fixed price menus that were excellent value for money. Breakfasts at Chez Hubert were delicious, with plent of fresh fruit, and many choices of cooked meals, expertly prepared.

We've already recommended Chez Hubert to our friends, especially as it is so reasonably priced.

• Liked — location, history, service, price
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Juandah
UK
Reviewed March 22, 2008

I stayed at 'Chez Hubert' for two nights during cold and snowy March. The property is just gorgeous; beautifully furnished with period pieces in keeping with the style and atmosphere of the building. It is in the perfect position in the heart of 'Vieux Quebec', on a quiet and pretty street.

As previously mentioned, the breakfast was indeed delicious with a huge variety of choices. All freshly prepared and cooked; much more than can be said of some 5 star hotels today where the buffet looks distinctly sad by 9.00am!

The real gem of the property, however, is Andrew, the owner. Nothing seems to be too much trouble for him. He comes to pick you up from the station and takes you back when you leave. I arrived needing a locksmith (!!) and was promptly taken to one and treated to the scenic route on the return trip. What a star this man is!

I do hope all these positive review will not mean that the place is booked solid for months ahead......I want to go back!

Stayed March 2008
5 Thank iz234
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 9, 2008

We spent two wonderful nights at Chez Hubert. Andrew is the perfect host. He went out of his way to make our stay very enjoyable, and his breakfasts are delicious. He has great insights and suggestions for activities and restaurants. Our room was quiet with a view of the backyard and decorated with antiques. The parlor has a large selection of DVDs with comfortable chairs to relax in. It was so convenient to have free parking right behind the B&B. I highly recommend Chez Hubert for your stay in Vieux-Quebec because of its location, price, ambiance, huge breakfast and it's wonderful host.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luna1902016
Toronto
Reviewed February 25, 2008

My partner and I went to Québec for the Carnaval in early February and stayed at this charming B&B. The host, Andrew, sets the bar for hospitality. He had informed me that he would pick me up from the train station if I called upon arrival, and I had sent an email that morning to let him know when I would arrive. When my train was an hour and a half late, I found him at the train station already waiting with a warm vehicle to bring us to the B&B.

I was prepared for the walk to the top floor, but it didn't matter because Andrew carried my suitcase up for me anyway. The bedroom was a perfect size for two people. We had ample space to spread out our things. The bed, while more firm than my chiropractic bed at home, was a comfortable respite after a day exploring the city. We had our own key and the front door code so we were free to come and go as we pleased.

The location is unbeatable, just inside the walls of Vieux Québec and blocks away from the funiculaire and waterfront. Everything we wanted to see was within a few minutes' walk, which was handy in the deep freeze of Carnaval season! Andrew was very helpful with tips on free and/or inexpensive sights to see.

But let me get to the good part: Andrew's breakfasts were delicious, diverse and more than ample to prepare us for days walking about in a hilly city. Each day I had something new: scrambled eggs, toast and cheese the first day, delightful waffles with fresh fruit and that signature Québecois maple syrup the second and a savoury vegetable quiche the third. Always complimented by Andrew's gorgeous fruit salads. So much goodness!

The three bathrooms were more than enough to accommodate everyone staying there while I was there, and the comfortable lounge was a perfect place to uncork a bottle of vino and watch a film from the B&B collection.

At the end of our stay, Andrew drove us to the train station again. What service! Please, someone pin a medal on this man! Oh and did I mention the rates? I don't think you'll find a better deal in that part of the city. Chez Hubert is the way to live in Québec.

• Liked — The host and his mad breakfast skills
  • Disliked — ... I can't think of anything I didn't like
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple