“True hospitality in a wonderful B&B in Quebec Old Town”
Review of A l'Augustine

A l'Augustine
Ranked #21 of 119 Quebec City B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“True hospitality in a wonderful B&B in Quebec Old Town”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights at L'Augustine B&B in Quebec, Old Town during December and thoroughly enjoyed my state. Its a 200 year old brick building turned into B&B and the house surely has lots of character. The B&B is centrally located in Quebec Old Town and most of the major attractions of Quebec are within walking distance.

Finally, one's stay in a B&B surely depends on the host and Caroline & Kamal were one of the nicest hosts I have ever met. Caroline prepares sumptuous breakfasts every morning that will keep you full for probably most of the day. She also provided me excellent suggestions on the places to see in the vicinity and also helped me booking a day trip with a tour company.

Lastly, I would remiss, if I don't mention the warmth and hospitality I received from them on my first day. I arrived late in the evening on Christmas eve and asked Caroline, if any eatery will be open nearby. Since, every place was closed on the Christmas eve, Caroline and her husband Kamal, prepared a warm & hearty dinner for me in the late evening hours. This was truly a touch of warmth and kindness that I will cherish for a long time in future. I would heartily recommend this place to anyone looking for a place to stay in Quebec Old Town area and thank you for making my stay at Quebec an experience to treasure.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank PrasunChoudhury

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Westwood, NJ
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We loved our stay in this wonderful, clean, charming old home. Breakfasts were delicious and different each morning. We stayed three nights. Easy walk to all attractions. Can't park on the street but Caroline made sure we had a park space each night in her driveway. The friendliness of our hostess really made our stay more enjoyable. I would highly recommend staying at this B&B and hope to go back some day. Quebec City was amazing and not to be missed.

Room Tip: Find a room where you don't have to take your car while in Quebec City.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Josephine D
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I expected the noise and crowds since this was in Old Quebec and a short walk outside the wall. But it was a beautiful little oasis away from the crowds. The garden in the back was peaceful, the room was spacious and beautiful, and we had our own microwave and frig. Breakfast was great and i enjoyed meeting people from France, Switzerland, and New York City! a wonderful experience....thank you to the hostess!!

Room Tip: we had the lower level back side...nice!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank girlfromGeorgia
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Is it me, or is it difficult to find good, solid information about lodging (especially B&Bs) in QC? After spending several hours, sending a dozen emails and making a bunch of phone calls, I finally secured a room (full disclosure, it was a last minute reservation) at l'Augustine. Even after reviewing this site, several other websites, and the B&B's website (it is a TERRIBLE website! Do not base your decision on their website, look here on TA for accurate information), I had no idea what I was getting myself into. That said, I was pleasantly surprised. The building is a beautiful old stone structure decorated in a quaint, french style. Our small room was adequately equipped, clean, with a comfortable bed and a window looking out on the street. We had no issues sharing a bathroom with the other room on our floor. Caroline is a lovely hostess and her breakfasts are delicious. The location could not be better. I had a lot of hesitation booking outside of the walls, but in hindsight I'm EXTREMELY pleased that I did. It was right around the corner from a supermarket, cafes, bars, shopping, and is truly less than 5 minute walk to the gates of the Old City. We didn't have a car, didn't take the bus or rent bikes, and we didn't miss anything. If you are reasonably fit (for the sometimes steep hills), and you are okay with walking, you can cover the whole area of town on foot. The section of the Old City within the walls has a slight Disneyland feel to it, and I was relieved to not be staying in a hotel in that area. All of this said, there are some things you need to be aware of:
-this is a B&B, not a hotel. if you require constant attention, you need to find a full-service hotel.
-there is no air-conditioning in the rooms. This was fine for us as the nights were cool when we visited, but if the forecast indicates that nightly lows will be 70 degrees (F) or higher, you might consider looking for a place with AC. They do not advertise AC in the rooms, so don't go in the middle of July and then get angry if it's too warm to sleep.
-It is a lovely, charming, beautiful old home that has been well cared for. The floorboards squeak occasionally. It's not a big deal, but if you are ridiculously picky, you should not stay in a 200 year old home.
-there seems to be a lot of Quebecois and French people who stay here and if you only speak English, you might be the only people in the house with English as a first language. We found lovely native French and German speaking people who were happy to try out their English with us over breakfast, but remember, Quebec is French speaking, if you don't speak the language, don't expect to be included on all the conversation.
-Our room faced the street and on Monday morning (the only weeknight we were there) the street cleaners were out early (7:30am) and they were noisy. If you sleep late, I would recommend getting to bed early on Sunday night. It wasn't an issue on Friday or Saturday nights.

Thus, this B&B delivers on all points exactly as advertised, thus, 5 stars. For approximately $90 a night, this was a great, properly priced value for us.

Room Tip: I would suggest getting a room that does not face the street if it's possible and if you sleep i...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank benFlys
Washington, DC
Reviewed May 24, 2012

A l'Augustine offered great value compared to other hotels in Old Town Quebec. It was a hard to find by car because of all of the small one way streets in the area. We were able to park for free on the Sunday we stayed and paid Caroline the hostess for the other day. It was a 5-10 minute walk to Old Quebec. A 'Augustine was decorated beautifully. The other reviewers are correct, the steps are quite steep. My husband and I had a queen room with a sliding wood door as well as one bathroom we shared with another couple.

One complaint was that it was extremely hot during our stay (highs in the 90s) and there was only air conditioning in the common areas in A l'Augustine so it was very hot in our room at night and difficult to sleep. The second night we ended up sleeping with our sliding door half open. We noticed the couple in the room next to us did the same.
Also, since the building is so old the floors did creak a lot and could be noisy when people were going up and down the stairs or talking.

The breakfast was delicious. Yogurt with dried fruit, crepes with maple syrup. We enjoyed the charm, location and breakfast of the B&B but we would probably stay at a hotel next time.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Monamacduff
Campbell River, Canada
Reviewed December 20, 2011

I stayed in early October. My room was on a floor with no other bedrooms and the bathroom was up a few stairs. Most of the building(s) were a series of compartments. on my 2nd room floor there was a full kitchen, table and chairs for reading...2 bedrooms upstairs from me. People were relaxed here; most of the clients appeared to be German and they took advantage of being able to take a break from restaurant meals and prices by putting their own supper together. There is a nearby grocery for stocking up.
I paid for parking and left my car to walk for the duration of my stay. Hint..when arriving, 1st park at the mini-lot on the corner before the b and b and make contact first...so you can arrange to have cars juggled if necessary. The parking cost goes to one of Caroline's causes helping needy in Morocco. The B and B is in the old town but outside the gates...I think the best way to go to the historic area is go up a couple of blocks to St Jean - this is a funky street for restaurants on both sides of the wall and while I was there in the early week, there was more happening close to the b and b than near the Frontenac. There is a bar (plus) there --just a few blocks uphill on St Jean ---where there are all kinds of music jams, etc with micro brews on tap..you get a taste of the youth culture here. When you cross the main drag to the walled city gate you go through an area called d'Youville...just beyond that square, there is a gorgeous art deco theatre and i was able to purchase tickets for the symphony from their office. The symphony hall was also in walking distance from the b and b and is a wonderful modern venue.
The most fun I had was just cruising up and down the alleys and streets. The cathedrals are well worth touring and if you're lucky you'll hear the organ or bell ringers. The fortress and the plains are a nice sojourn and near the end is the art gallery which also is worthwhile. The lower town near the water was elbow to elbow with cruise ship tourists and most of the shops were targeting them; I preferred the upper town.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank fisher_eye_lens
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We (2 couples) spent 2 nights with Caroline at A l'Augustine and found it to be an ideal location at a very good price.

PROS: Nice hostess who made you feel welcome; access to a covered patio area behind the house for afternoon wine/cheese; on-site parking (which we didn't need to use because Caroline helped us find on-street parking on our Saturday arrival); very good breakfasts; opportunity to escape the tourists and enjoy the 'neighborhood' feel

CON: Noise if your room is on the street side of the B&B

Overall, it was a very pleasant stay and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Our room (back of house) was great. Our friends had a room over the street and found it to be noise...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple