“Very average”
Review of Hotel du Nord

Hotel du Nord
Ranked #75 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This place is very basic with a kitchen. Decor is old, bathrooms are not up to date or anything. Worst of all, there is no elevator and we had to carry a lot of luggage (no bell boy, no trolley nothing) to the third floor at 1 am! Once we got there, the place feels literally like a maze! We had booked 2 rooms and they were far apart. Going from one to the other, we had to keep turning and turning weird angled corridor! It definitely had the feel of a maze. The sofa and leather chair had seen better days. On top of this, the front desk lady wanted me to pay extra $10 for my son to stay in the same room as us (even though there were two queen beds and we were only three in our room)! I love Quebec city but the hotels are a rip off in this place and this was the best I could find for paying $120 plus 14% tax per night!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Stayed 1 night while traveling with a group visiting Quebec City, Canada. Front desk provided good service and were very helpful. If you are told this hotel is within walking distance to the old city...prepare for a long walk. Its about a 10 to 12 dollar cab ride to the old city, just in front of the wall. Rooms are small but clean. Bathroom is small as well, however it was clean. Small window ac unit, did a fairly good job at keeping room comfortable. There is a pool, however did not use this amenity. Continental breakfast the norm, pastry, muffins, toast, bagel, cereal and fruit. There are some restaurants in walking distance. While its a little pricey, this is the busy season, so that expected. Overall, nice hotel in Quebec City, Canada.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2012

OK to stay - rooms tidy and service friendly. You get a good idea of the variety of the city when you walk into old town compared to staying in the very touristy old town as such. It got a swimmingpool which surprises for the category.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This hotel was just okay - staff was polite, the rooms are small (more like a European size basic room with the bed occupying most of the space and a very small bathroom), the tv didn't work, the tap dripped in the bathroom, the salt-water pool was fine. It is fairly close to downtown and there are some restaurants and depanneurs nearby. Overall, not great value.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I just got through booking my third stay in this little hotel. After making my booking, I glanced at some comments on Trip Advisor and thought it would be prudent to offer my observations.
#1 The staff: On the two previous occasions I found them helpful, friendly, and pleasant. On occasions when I felt like trying out my high school French, they were patient.
#2 The breakfast. Yes. It isn't much...but the coffee is hot.
#3 The neighborhood. One of the better aspects of the hotel in my opinion. This is not a tourist neighborhood. In the vicinity are a number of bars and restaurants, including many ethnic places and some bars and greasy spoons that appear to have been there for eons. A bus that runs downtown, if you don't feel like handling the walk.
#4 The price. It's far cheaper than virtually any other option that close to downtown. Parking is included, which saves more money.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank johnny_simpatico
Reviewed October 15, 2011

I stayed in this hotel with my friends during our visit to Quebec City and I cannot complain! The hotel is 30 minutes walk from the historical center of Quebec or you can take a taxi for 10 dollars (more or less). The staff was very kind, they helped us with orientation in town and they let us store our bags for the whole day after we checked out. There is also a pool in the hotel but we didn't use it so I can't say anything about it. We stayed in a room for 4 people, so the price per person was really good!

If you want to stay in Quebec and don't want to spend a fortune, go for this hotel. I recommend it especially to younger people or couples who don't mind that the location is not exactly in the center!

Two final remarks: A/C is quite noisy. There is a computer with internet for free use in the lobby.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank MCepek
Reviewed September 27, 2011

We've stayed at Hotel du Nord several times in the last 3 years, and we will undoubtedly return. The rooms are very basic, but clean and functional. Available in a large breakfast room, the continental breakfast is simple, but adequate . The layout of the hotel is odd and winding, and there is no elevator. There is free parking, and the drive into downtown Quebec is easy.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family