“This is student type accomodation in a good central location.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Quebec City
Bed & Breakfast L'Heure Douce
Ranked #48 of 119 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Cumbernauld, Scotland
“This is student type accomodation in a good central location.”
Reviewed October 28, 2006

I stayed at the apartments which are let by the owners of the B&B establishment and they are located in a street that is around the corner from the B&B.
I booked this accomodation through an agency, Easyrez, and I must say that they oversold the quality of the accomodation in my opinion.
Whilst I have no complaints with regards to the standard of cleanliness in the apartment , the general fittings were old fashioned and obviously second hand and more in keeping with the type that I would expect to find in accomodation that is rented out to students. It was certainly not what I would describe as a holiday let.
That said, the price was reasonable and what it lacked in modernity it made up for in terms of location, which was just off the main shopping street of Quebec and within walking distance of all of the significant sights.
Overall, the accomodation was acceptable for the couple of nights we were there but I was not unhappy to move on to our next port of call.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Standard of fittings.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jigsawman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Hamilton, Ontario
Reviewed July 19, 2006

My husband and I spent 5 days in the studio apartment during Carnivale season (February) 2004. We were university students at the time so the price and fact that we could minimize eating out by using the kitchenette was very attractive. The room was comfortable and cozy. Moreover, the place was clean, including the kitchenette and bathroom. The female-owner was standoffish at first, but warmed up.when she found that I speak French. I did suspect (as other reviewers mention) that she was going into the room in our absence (turn down heat, checking lights, etc), but wasn't too concerned at the time as we hadn't taken valuables. Would have been preferable though to be certain that no one was going in other than us. Only other complaint is that we ran out of hot water in the shower after a particularly frigid (-40 C) walk home from the old city. The walk to the old city seemed long in the dead of winter, but is probably not bad in summer. We also explored the neighbourhood around the auberge, which is pleasant with cute shops and such.

• Liked — price and availability of kitchenette
  • Disliked — Suspect that owners entered studio while we were out to turn down heat and such.
  • Stayed February 2004, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank visiteur
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 11, 2006

I stayed with family members in a sudio suite operated by the B&B L'Heure Douce in Old Quebec.

The suite was comfortable and spacious. Parking in a lot across the street was only $5/day. It was walking distance to everything, so you just leave your car and walk to the Plains or inside the Old Fort Wall.

Lots to watch and see in the city, espically in the summer.

Only minor complaint was that there was no A/C in the suite. However, the weather didn't get above 23C or so when we were there, so it wasn't really necessary, but in hotter, more humid weather it wouldn't have been much fun.

The Innkeeper that helped us was nice... I can't remember his name but he was pretty young and wasn't any of the people mentioned in other reviews.

Highly recommended. The big American chains would have been about 3x more expensive after you take in to parking and taxes!

• Stayed July 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 13, 2006

Let's start with the positives. We were three couples travelling together so we had the entire upper floor all to ourselves. Each room was tastefully decorated with original flair. The rooms were immaculately clean and spacious. The street (Rue Richelieu) was very quiet and within walking distance to the major tourist attractions. The cab fare only cost CAD$6.50 from the train station, so it's really close to everything. The breakfast was nice and tasty (and very healthy) but after three days, it got a bit boring. There were plenty of restaurants offering a variety of cuisines within a 10 minute walk. Now to the critcism. The hosts are absolutely bonkers; one night I turned the heating unit on in the main living area and within two minutes the owner (Jacque) came running up the stairs and turned it off straight away, saying that we're not allowed to touch the heater! Everytime we all left our rooms (to go out for the day, or dinner), we'd come back to find that the wife (Diane) had been inside and turned our lamps off. One night we all brought some chips and beer back to share in the living room and Diane gave us the Spanish Inquisition as to our intentions. She was very worried that we'd scratch her precious wooden table with our beer bottles! How paranoid is she? Overall, they both made us feel like we were guests in their house, rather than paying guests with entitlements to some privacy. So apart from the beautiful accomodation, great food and top location, it will always be remembered as the place with the very intrusive hosts.

• Stayed January 2006
8 Thank AdsMan
Alma, NB
Reviewed January 30, 2006

This B and B is very well located close to Old Quebec. The interior decoration was warm and inviting, the hostess however was not. The place is spotless and the food was great, although give yourself time for breakfast (not the place to stay if you are on business because breakfast starts only at 8:30am) and is difficult to shift to an earlier time.
Settle your bill early on to avoid any surprises. I cancelled one night more than 24 hours in advance and was not told that the fee thus increased from $65 to $70/night (for a 2 night stay instead of 3). I was also told there would be a cancellation fee when I settled my bill. After much sighing and discomfort, I managed to pay what I had originally been quoted. There are more hospitable places to stay in the area. I would not recommend this B&B to friends or family.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
10 Thank BirdOnTheFly
Portland Maine
Reviewed December 28, 2005

Just returned from a mid-week getaway with my adult daughter at L'Heure Douce....WONDERFUL! Really friendly while not the least bit intrusive. Artistic, modern, comfy inviting rooms (we peeked at all 3 B&B rooms) sharing a large bathroom (not a problem in the least), and surrounding a terrific dining room where they have coffee ready upon your waking up, then, when you're ready, an outstanding yummy 3-course breakfast with choice of entrees!

On a very quiet side street, but we stayed in winter after a large storm so heard the snowplows at 2:30am (imagine you would anywhere). Ask for rm #3 (not bordering street) if you are a light sleeper, but the street is probably ususlly sleepy and quiet most nights! Rm #1 is across from the bathroom and next to the stairway, a queen bed and a small table with 2 chairs and 2 dormered alcoves. VERY inviting and cozy. Rm#2 is largest, with a queen/king bed and 2 additional twin beds, and rm #3 is maybe the smallest, but very comfortable feeling and maybe the quietest. All are on 3rd floor, walk-up only with typical skinny stairways (the owners live on the 2nd and the 1st fl must be the studios)

HIGHLY recommend this B&B. Run with love and caring by a couple and their 2 adult children. Very accomodating and warm. Clearly decorated with an artistic eye. Breakfast alone is worth the stay, and can't beat the price! must be extra delightful in the spring and summer when you can eat out on the 3rd floor deck!!

Located 2 quick blocks below Rue St.Jean, just a short walk from St.Johns gate and everything you need. There's a great little bar, the Fou Bar, just a block further up Rue St Jean (from the B&B heading away from the wall) that had live jazz on Tuesday nites and a great environment.

• Stayed November 2005
10 Thank ready2travel
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 2, 2005

Stayed here for 2 nights. We stayed in their studio, on the ground floor. One large room, bright and cheery, very spacious feeling. Small kitchenette with a teakettle and coffemaker (a few coffee filters, but not tea or coffee itself). Everything was very clean. The studio has its own entrance, which I really liked. Neat, clean, comfortable, convenient location (shops a block or two away), good price. My only issue was that he said they had a parking lot we could use, so we did. Then on checking out, he said there was a charge for the parking (this was news) and if I could please pay it in cash. It wasn't much money, but left a poor impression. That aside, the room was fine and I'd stay there again.

• Stayed September 2005