“Well-located boutique hotel - wonderful staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel 71

Hotel 71
Ranked #7 of 108 Hotels in Quebec City
New York, New York, United States
“Well-located boutique hotel – wonderful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel is ideally located – all of the major areas of Quebec City are within walking distance. Rooms are comfortable with modern furnishings and are nicely appointed. That being said, there were some minor cleaning issues (I noticed some spots of the floor near the corners and walls hadn’t properly been swept and cleaned, and you could tell from the grout between the tiles in the shower that the shower walls and floor could use a better scrubbing/cleaning). However, service was truly exceptional. Concierge was great with giving us highlights of the city that were not to be missed and with restaurant recommendations. We ran into one of the housekeepers in the hallways and had a specific request which she ensured was addressed immediately. Free bottled water at the front desk was always appreciated. We noticed bikes that could be borrowed, but unfortunately, didn’t have time. Continental breakfast was fairly basic with some baked goods, cheeses, ham – but given that it was inclusive, it was a nice touch.

A fine choice for a stay in Quebec.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Hotel 71 is a modern, clean, sleek small property in old Quebec. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The hotel staff is friendly and exceptionally helpful. Great location in the lower part of the old city. The continental breakfast is convenient and tasty.

Portage, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband, son (28 years) and I visited Quebec city and stayed at Hotel 71 in Lower Town. It was a great experience. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Our room was very spacious with 2 queen beds. The decor was modern and clean. The hotel location was great, right across the street from the museum and a short block from the water front. We walked all over lower and upper town from the hotel and ate at the many pubs and cafes in the area. The couple of times we needed our car they had it in front of the hotel in less than 5 minutes. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask specifically for 2 queen beds if you want the larger room. We were on the 2nd floor and it was...
2 Thank Joy M
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed there for two nights with our two children,the room was spacious and mostly clean. The first thing I do when I get to hotels is to take a shower and found a long hair inside the robe, which really turned me off as I am a neat freak! When I got to the bed my daughter unfolded the blanket that had long silver hair all over it. I immediately called room service and they changed it immediately.
The next day the manager addressed my concerns and when we returned from our day's excursion everything in the room had been changed and replaced with clean sheets, robes and blankets.
I would definitely recommend this hotel, even though there were a couple of hiccups the attitude and response of the staff was quick and sincerely apologetic and tried their best to remedy the situation.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank HAHirose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We "won" this hotel on Hotwire and were pleasantly surprised. We immediately researched reviews on Trip Advisor and were excited after reading such positive results. The concierge were friendly and helpful. The lobby is small but cozy. The room is modern and clean. The bed is comfortable and ensures a good sleep. The free breakfast is healthy and tasty with a variety of breads/bagels, cereals, cheeses, meats and yummy spreads...it definitely starts the day off right! The hotel is in the heart of old Quebec City...steps to many restaurants and shops. What a great stay we have had-we will come again!

• Stayed August 2013
Markham, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Growing up with a father in the hotel industry, he always emphasized that service and cleanliness is what makes a hotel great. I booked 2 separate stays here for my family while we did our East Coast tour. The first night we arrived, we were told our room was not available because of a small issue but they offered me an upgrade to a wonderful suite !!! The view was magical. The staff were wonderful...a week later upon our return, they recognized me and told me my room would be available. It's very difficult to find hotels that will fit 4 comfortably and since my kids were spoiled the first time with the suite, I went up to the room first to check it out. RM 223, two queen beds, is amazinglu spacious and fantastic for a young family. The best was the personal note left by the staff, welcoming us back and staying with them, also a nice plate of chocolate :) The personal touch was fantastic !!!! I love this hotel...the staff are amazing !!!!
The restaurant for breakfast was wonderful and they were so nice....
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

My hotel experiences have mostly been of the large chain variety. Marriotts, Hyatts, Hiltons, etc. For our Quebec City vacation, my wife and I decided to find something "special." After scouring TripAdvisor.com and some other sites, we chose the Hotel 71. I was very excited to try something different and I have to say, the Hotel 71 met all of my hopes.

Please check out the hotel's website, as it accurately reflects the style of this property: contemporary and chic, yet casual and comfortable. The entire staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Our room was fantastic - high ceilings, comfortable bed, great shower. For us, the location couldn't be better - it is in the middle of the lower town and relatively peaceful. Walk out the front door and head either direction for great restaurants and shops within two blocks.

I must mention the complimentary breakfast. It is not the steam table of scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, and danish that you often get. It is simple and delicious: croissants, yogurt, fresh fruit, bagels, fruit juices, and espresso/cappuccino/lattes. When you've been dining at Quebec's wonderful restaurants, you don't want to be packing on the fat and calories at breakfast.

This is not a five-star hotel, with white gloved bellhops and complimentary champagne. But Hotel 71 is definitely a five-star experience because of their friendly staff and wonderful rooms. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple