“Good for the money paid”

Chateau des Tourelles
Ranked #11 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Singapore, Singapore
“Good for the money paid”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We booked a quiet studio apartment (room on the lowest floor) with cooking facilities which was perfect for our family of 2 adults and 2 young kids. A private parking lot was conveniently located just outside our door. Beds were comfy and apartment was tastefully furnished making it feel like home. Location is walking distance of Upper Town. William the manager was friendly and accommodated all our needs.

My only grouses are that a strange smell, which I suspect is sewage smell, would waft from the toilet occasionally and the floor wasn't cleaned/vacuumed daily, so dirt built up. That being said, William seemed to be the only staff at that time doing room turnover, so perhaps they were shorthanded.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
central, New Jersey
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My wife and I arrived there July 25th and left July 31st. The hotel is wonderful, and the staff is even better. We are in our 70s and did a lot of walking. Be advised Quebec City is pretty hilly, not quite San Francisco, but similar in many parts. the architecture in town is amazing. There are many churches that are spectacular. Be sure to see John the Baptist, Sacred Heart and St. Anne's de Beaupre. Also be sure to check out the waterfalls at Montmorency falls they are great and 90 feet higher than Niagara Falls. If you stay at Chateau des Tourelles and are our age, you might really appreciate being on one of the lower floors. Before we left i read a lot about Quebec City, and everybody seems to say that you can get by speaking english. For the most part that is true, but there are a few people that ignore you if you speak only english.

Room Tip: I onle saw the room we stayed in. It was very nice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank johnghath
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed at the Chateau des Tourelles from Friday night until Monday morning over the civic holiday weekend. The 'Chateau' was easy to find even with a slight detour due to road construction. We were greeted by the friendly staff who helped us with our bags and got us sorted around with parking (parking is at a neighbouring garage). We had requested a room at the back of the hotel (as per suggestion of some other reviewers), and we were pleasantly surprised when we were given the choice of 2 rooms. We chose room 4, which had a private balcony and was farther away from the common area. The bed was comfy and the room was equipped with a nice quiet air conditioner so we could set the temperature to our comfort level. Breakfast was served by the owners each morning, and was both filling and delicious. The homemade preserves were fabulous. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and would highly recommend the Chateau to couples and families visiting Quebec City.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for six days in June. It was a great location, allowing us to walk easily all around town. The owners and staff are very friendly and helpful, giving us ideas of places to see and directions for walking or catching a nearby bus. The food was amazing. We started every day with a lovely breakfast served with a smile. And sometimes the owner's little dog could be coaxed over for a pet during our meal. Our room was very comfortable and clean. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Niceville, Florida
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I spent two nights at the Chateau des Tourelles in room 8. When I got there I was warmly welcomed by Howli (spell?). There were a few rooms open so she showed them to me and let me pick the room I wanted, not bad. She explained the parking garage, a couple of blocks away, but I misunderstood her when she said it’s the garage ACROSS the street from bldg. 34. I was looking for garage 34, don’t make that mistake. After walking the city all night I came back to a warm room and after messing around with the thermostat I figured the AC must be broke so I opened the windows since it was cool outside. Even with the window opened the noise didn’t bother me. The next morning I was talking to William who was preparing breakfast (breakfast is awesome) and mentioned the AC and he walked in the room and grabbed the remote control and turned the AC on. I’ve never managed my AC by remote control and when I saw two remotes together next to the TV and DVD player I just figured that what they were for. Bottom line, great people running this place, very clean and comfortable and I would definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Good location, near-by secure parking, and a clean and comfortable room. Here are the details:

Location: Directly on Rue St. Jean, the hotel is an easy (straight down the street) walk to Old Quebec (10-15 min) and Rue St. Jean is lined with restaurants and shops. We really like the location as we could just park once (in the secured garage parking that is about a 3 min walk from the hotel) and walk while in the city. Parking is extra but cheap in my opinion ($8/night). There was also a convenience store located downstairs from the hotel which is open until 11 pm - a spot to pick up a bottle of wine or some beer.

Hotel/Room: Our room was a good size with a nice bathroom. Everything was clean. Rue St. Jean is a busy street and we did stay on a Saturday so there was a little bit of street noise but you would get that in any busy neighborhood. Good shower and nice toiletries provided. There is a flight of stairs to climb once you enter the hotel so if you have limited mobility this probably isn't the right choice. We really enjoyed the rooftop. It was nice during the day but amazing at night!

Breakfast: You are given a choice for breakfast which is made to order once you arrive in the dining room. My French toast was yummy and my hubby choice eggs which he also enjoyed. Good coffee!

Overall I would recommend this to friends and family so long as they are able to walk from parking and climb the stairs at the entrance to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This small auberge is a gem. It's within walking distance of the Citadelle and other Old City sights, but on a lovely street in a real neighbourhood with lots of neighbourhood shops and small restaurants. The rooms are charming, old style, and clean. The breakfast is an amazing home-cooked hot meal, and guests are welcome to help themselves to tea, coffee, cookies, and use of the kitchen fridge at all times. A rooftop (4th floor) deck has comfortable chairs and a fabulous view. The owner and staff are absolutely friendly and helpful. Only drawback would be for anyone with mobility problems, as you must climb at least one set of stairs to reach the rooms. I would return to Quebec City just to stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends