“Wonderful stay!”

Chateau des Tourelles
Ranked #13 of 100 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for six days in June. It was a great location, allowing us to walk easily all around town. The owners and staff are very friendly and helpful, giving us ideas of places to see and directions for walking or catching a nearby bus. The food was amazing. We started every day with a lovely breakfast served with a smile. And sometimes the owner's little dog could be coaxed over for a pet during our meal. Our room was very comfortable and clean. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I spent two nights at the Chateau des Tourelles in room 8. When I got there I was warmly welcomed by Howli (spell?). There were a few rooms open so she showed them to me and let me pick the room I wanted, not bad. She explained the parking garage, a couple of blocks away, but I misunderstood her when she said it’s the garage ACROSS the street from bldg. 34. I was looking for garage 34, don’t make that mistake. After walking the city all night I came back to a warm room and after messing around with the thermostat I figured the AC must be broke so I opened the windows since it was cool outside. Even with the window opened the noise didn’t bother me. The next morning I was talking to William who was preparing breakfast (breakfast is awesome) and mentioned the AC and he walked in the room and grabbed the remote control and turned the AC on. I’ve never managed my AC by remote control and when I saw two remotes together next to the TV and DVD player I just figured that what they were for. Bottom line, great people running this place, very clean and comfortable and I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Good location, near-by secure parking, and a clean and comfortable room. Here are the details:

Location: Directly on Rue St. Jean, the hotel is an easy (straight down the street) walk to Old Quebec (10-15 min) and Rue St. Jean is lined with restaurants and shops. We really like the location as we could just park once (in the secured garage parking that is about a 3 min walk from the hotel) and walk while in the city. Parking is extra but cheap in my opinion ($8/night). There was also a convenience store located downstairs from the hotel which is open until 11 pm - a spot to pick up a bottle of wine or some beer.

Hotel/Room: Our room was a good size with a nice bathroom. Everything was clean. Rue St. Jean is a busy street and we did stay on a Saturday so there was a little bit of street noise but you would get that in any busy neighborhood. Good shower and nice toiletries provided. There is a flight of stairs to climb once you enter the hotel so if you have limited mobility this probably isn't the right choice. We really enjoyed the rooftop. It was nice during the day but amazing at night!

Breakfast: You are given a choice for breakfast which is made to order once you arrive in the dining room. My French toast was yummy and my hubby choice eggs which he also enjoyed. Good coffee!

Overall I would recommend this to friends and family so long as they are able to walk from parking and climb the stairs at the entrance to the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This small auberge is a gem. It's within walking distance of the Citadelle and other Old City sights, but on a lovely street in a real neighbourhood with lots of neighbourhood shops and small restaurants. The rooms are charming, old style, and clean. The breakfast is an amazing home-cooked hot meal, and guests are welcome to help themselves to tea, coffee, cookies, and use of the kitchen fridge at all times. A rooftop (4th floor) deck has comfortable chairs and a fabulous view. The owner and staff are absolutely friendly and helpful. Only drawback would be for anyone with mobility problems, as you must climb at least one set of stairs to reach the rooms. I would return to Quebec City just to stay here.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 83Traveller
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel on Rue St Jean during a visit to Quebec City. This hotel is located within walking distance of Old Quebec which made it very convenient for us. The room we stayed in was as presented on the website. The bed was comfortable as was the room,

The owner and his staff are extremely friendly and helpful. I do not know much French so they were very accommodating by conversing in English.

Staying here includes a free breakfast. I had the eggs or omelet every day. This was a gourmet breakfast as far as I was concerned. I looked forward to breakfast every day. It did mean one less dining choice a day when you are eating out every meal which you do on vacation.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.
The only downside was the street noise at night. With temperatures in the 50's we had the windows open at night and one night it was extremely noisy almost all night. This was the night before Canada Day and I am attributing this to the fact that more people were out and about since the next day was a holiday. This in no way reflects on the hotel owner or staff.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on corner of building as it has access to both streets which can be noisy at night. If...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed in this auberge for three nights at the beginning of June. On arrival the receptionist was very helpful in giving directions to parking and in providing us with walking information to restaurants and the old town. Our room was not quite ready - but they had it all prepared for us on our return from the parking lot. The room had a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and sitting area. It was very comfortable. The integrity of the original building was evident with the wood floors and high ceilings. Breakfasts were excellent! The auberge is about 15 minutes from the St. Jean street restaurants and about 20 minutes from the old city. We had to leave early on our last day - the breakfast was prepared for us even though it was before official breakfast time.

We highly recommend this hotel - it is priced right, excellent location, helpful staff and secure parking. The free WiFi in the rooms is a bonus.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Canadian079
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is an ideal location if you want to be in walking distance of the old city. Delightful staff, delicious and filling breakfast (I love the healthy addition of whole grain toast and a different vegetable each day). We enjoyed the "European" feel of the rooms and location. We had the corner room next to the breakfast room, facing the front of the building. Charming and very clean room, nice view of the street below (which is quaint and reminds you of France), and very quiet - we noticed no street noise at night. We appreciated the private parking garage a couple blocks from the hotel, easy loading and unloading on the side street next to Chauteau des Tourelles. We walked everywhere ~ lots of shops and restaurants nearby! We will definitely return again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple