“New and Funky”

Ranked #1 of 1,504 Restaurants in Quebec City
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 23, 2014

A hole in the wall in the suburbs, BUT a great wine selection and an interesting limited menu. The staff consists of the two owners, one cooks the other serves, takes orders and schmoozes. Cab was $10 each way.

1  Thank Helen R

Reviewed July 20, 2014

I'll admit it -- after a day of touring Quebec City, including a "food tour" (enjoyable), I wasn't really thrilled with the idea of trekking off trying to find this place that my wife was so anxious to visit -- figured we could top off our tummies at one of the myriad restaurants we kept passing. But, as is wont to happen, my wife prevailed, and trek we did -- God bless GPS: I'm not sure we would have found it without. To say that it's "non-imposing" would be a significant understatement. We walked in and were eventually greeted by the maître d', and seated. (I say "eventually" because he'd been busy chatting with other tables.) Our eight-year-old was gladly welcomed; I was in a T-shirt (wups!), and while that set me at the bottom of the dress scale, the scale didn't rise terribly far from that; I didn't feel out-of-place.
It took some time after we were seated, and recited the menu, before I realized that there were exactly two employees: our host, and the chef. Both were delightful in different ways.
My wife is our social extrovert; before placing our order, she got to chatting with those around us, asking what they suggested -- and each suggested ordering what they'd eaten, because all of them had so enjoyed their meals. The ambiance/atmosphere is what you'd imagine a fun, neighborhood restaurant with folksy owners would sound and be like. While waiting for the food, the chef came out several times to chatter (though he isn't hidden away -- he works in clear view and interacts when he can). At one point, he came out and profusely apologized: the risotto had been a bit too salty, and he needed an additional five minutes to fix it up.
We ordered all the appetizers, and three of the entrees; the bleu cheese pork loin was simply some of the best food I've ever had; the trout was terrific, and the steak was superb.
Often, when you're partaking of something -- be it food, a sport, whatever -- you say to yourself, "I could do that." In this case, I retain no doubts: I could never attain the magic to transform these foodstuffs into transcendent dishes we received. The desserts, likewise, were amazing -- something I've rarely seen in single-chef restaurants; usually the desserts are from elsewhere, or are "nice," but not up to the level of the rest of the meal. I am happy to report that that was not the case here. Lastly, we followed up with some dessert wine, recommended by the host. I like wine, but I lack the knowledge to usually discuss any particular wine in detail. But this dessert wine was amazing -- words like "nuance" and "depth" leapt to mind.
There is *one* (very minor) quibble I must put forward that in no way reduced our enjoyment: we sat at the middle table, which is directly touching a low-profile wine rack... which appears to not be fastened to the floor. I'd occasionally bump it, causing it to rock ever so slightly. I would have been distraught had I managed to knock it over.
In closing, despite the fact that we spent over $200 for three people, I'm still saying it's an excellent value: food of this caliber is hard to find, period; often times it's in hotels, with less enjoyable atmospheres, and more expensive... everything. If you have the money, and are looking for an excellent meal in an enjoyable, non-pretentious setting, this is the place.

8  Thank Ken D
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Yes, the host and the chef are very charming. The neighborhood is not sketchy. The onion soup is superb, I will attempt to adjust my own recipe to be similar. My entree was pork with blue cheese. The cheese was so strong you could not taste the pork which was one large piece and tough. I would have used a bechamel or veloute sauce with just a taste of the blue cheese. I had the lemon dessert which was good, but ordinary. Our other dinners in Quebec City were at LEchaude and Panache. I would give L'Echaude 4 stars and Panache 5.

8  Thank BayView2014
Reviewed July 18, 2014

My wife and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary visiting Quebec. We ate out at several places and, by far, this was the best place. We spent $230 which included a bottle of wine. Great flavor, fun and engaging owners, quaint location....wish they would open a restaurant in Boston.

1  Thank Douglas K
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

We went here based on the reviews and were not disappointed. If you're looking for a place with 5 star food without being pretentious, this is for you. We can't say enough about the food to give it justice and the owners are very welcoming. It's a totally casual atmosphere and the food is so good that everyone in the place is talking to each other about it! Getting there from the old City will cost you about $15 one way, but it's worth it.

1  Thank CanTraveller777