“Perfection”

Ranked #1 of 1,530 Restaurants in Quebec City
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 27, 2014

My friend and I were in Quebec City yesterday as part of a long weekend in Canada. We found the trip advisor recommendation and called. They squeezed us on for a last minute reservation. This was the first step in what was probably the best meal of our lives. The taxi driver asked us five times if we were sure that we wanted to be dropped off at this place. It's a safe, clean neighborhood, but not in the city center. We were about 30 minutes early for our reservation and the first ones there. Vincente welcomed us in and we immediately felt like family friends instead of customers. He gave us the lovely history of the restaurant and explained the menu. It's not a large selection but it is all amazing. We had all three starters! The scallops were beyond amazing. So good we had to restrain ourselves from licking the bowl. The French onion soup was divine - a hearty yet still light and so flavorful. The pork skewers were also tasty and light. For our mains we had the blue cheese pork and the lamb loin. The meat was so tender you could cut it with a butter knife and the flavors...amazing. Each course perfectly complemented the starters and the lovely German Riesling that was suggest for us. It was perfect. After our starters and mains we were pleasantly full, but the foie gras dessert was too intriguing to deny. We were a in a word astounded by it. It was like a custard in a lovely cream sauce with the perfect balance of sweet and salty. The textures were perfect and it was freaking delicious. The way they prepare and shave the foie gras over the dessert in delicate shavings is brilliant. The food was top quality. The environment was comfortable and welcoming. Vincente was knowledgeable and a great host...and Ben, the chef extraordinaire, was lovely and humble and a sweet man. It made our trip that much more special to experience that meal. If you are in Quebec, you must go to the iX Bistro. Also the prices are very reasonable.

2  Thank Dizziva

Reviewed June 27, 2014

Wow! Not just dinner but a whole dining experience! Very cute bistro with a fun ambiance. Vincent personally describes each menu choice in delicious detail to your table. He will also help you pick out the perfect bottle of wine. I had the onion soup, lamb tenderloin with goat cheese, and foie gras dessert, and each was absolute perfection. The courses were all perfectly paced and proportioned. Service was beyond compare. Expensive, but a good value for the experience and food, and the love is free! Both Vincent and Ben will gladly speak English or French with you. It's a good thing I live 5 hours from Quebec, or I'd be eating here weekly!

1  Thank CourtneyMD
Reviewed June 27, 2014

My wife and I visited this place as we are foodies and based on the amazing reviews on this website. I am not going to lie when I showed up and parked I thought do I really want to get out of my car, but getting out of my car was one of the best decisions I have made in my life. Upon entering you notice this is unlike any other restaurant you have ever been to in your. I would say the feeling if you walked into the bars on 'Cheers' comes to mind. The greeter Vincente was out of this world in terms of being both down to earth and at the same time classy. You just have to experience it.

On to the food- my wife and I ordered all the apps, did the beef mains and all the desserts and we were amazed with the quality and presentation. This place not only rivals but surpasses other 5 stars places I have been both in Toronto and around the world. In order to not ramble I am going to use the following rating system to show just how amazing this place is

Food: 10000 out of 10
Service: 10000 out of 10
Experience: 10000 out of 10
Vincent n Benoit: 10000 out of 10
Location: 6 out of 10 but don't judge as you would definitely miss out on a gem.

Also please note this is not a typical run in, serve fast, eat quickly and run out place. They take their time and while we were there everyone in the place we're speaking to each other and knew everything about each other even though 10 minutes before everyone were total strangers. I hope these guys never change this model.

Good luck on your visit and please review these guys they are world class guys running a world class establishment.

2  Thank RicardoNichols
Reviewed June 24, 2014

My father and I visited this restaurant based on the reviews when we were in Quebec last month. This was by far our best restaurant experience for the entire week! Be sure to make reservations early in the week since it's a small restaurant. Be prepared for an exquisite dining experience you will never forget and won't break the bank! We were staying at the St. Antoine hotel. ENJOY!!

2  Thank OCHEALS
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Having read the reviews, I was not surprised by the drive we took out of the touristy part of town. I did not feel unsafe, but the neighborhood is working class and the building has no bells and whistles. That being said, this was one of the best restaurant experiences I have ever had. This is not five star opulence, but the thought and care that goes into each one of the dishes served and the wines offered is amazing.

We started with the onion soup and shaved scallops. The soup was warm, comforting and delicious. The scallops were transcendent! Those scallops are in my top five dishes ever had in a restaurant. For dinner, we had the lamb with goat cheese (best when you were able to get all of the components together for the perfect bite) and the tender/fabulous hanger steak. For dessert, I had to try the foie gras and my husband had the lemon tart. The foie gras is a buttery mousse/semi freddo type prep and really good, but the lemon tart was something special.

We also enjoyed the wine recommendations. It is a French heavy list, but one that is well thought out and not too pricey. We had a white (that we corked to take back to the hotel) with our first course, a red with our second (that we would have done the same with, but ended up sharing with the table next to us) and after dinner drinks. Some people have commented that the restaurant is expensive; I did not think so for the quality of everything, plus the friendly service.

At iX pour Bistro, you really have a feeling of being invited into a particularly talented chef's home for an evening of fine food, wine, and community.

1  Thank Tara R