“Good food but extremely slow service”

Trattoria di Mikes Quebec
Ranked #550 of 1,506 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stopped in here for lunch one day during a conference in Quebec City. When we arrived there were at most three other tables with guests, so we expected fast service. Although we tried several times to indicate that we were ready to order, the lone waitress proceeded to seat, serve drinks and take orders from many other people who arrived after us as the restaurant began to fill. We waited a good 20 minutes at least which was, in my opinion, ridiculous for a party of three. The 9-inch Pizza Internationale was actually quite tasty. Since the dessert menu looked appealing, my friend and I decided to get apple pie and ice cream. It took so long between when we finished our food and when we ordered and received dessert that I finished an entire word search in the local newspaper - awful. Clearly the waitress (Marie-Pierre) didn't notice us bored out of our minds at the table trying to make eye contact. Finally we had to yell out to her and she rudely brushed us off and said "wait two minutes". The apple pie and ice cream had too much cinnamon. When it was time for the bills, she couldn't recall what I had ordered and I had to remind her. The bills also came very slowly, so I tipped very little and received the coldest "thank you" ever upon paying. As we left I noticed that the lunch rush was almost entirely over and the restuarant nearly empty as when we arrived. A frustrating experience overall for someone who doesn't like to make a scene in restaurants. Lots of better places nearby.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had a very positive experience here. The food was good, it arrived quickly and it was a great price. We were looking for an affordable restaurant with food for picky eaters. There were a lot of options in Italian fashion (pizza, pasta) and many desserts.

We are both anglophones however I am bilingual and my fiance is not. After conversing with the hostess she politely seated us with French menus. She heard us talking in English and came by to check in if we would like English menus. I was ok, but my fiance asked for an English menu which she very politely provided for us. When taking our order she spoke with me in French and my fiance in English. I really appreciated her attitude to helping us both in the language that we felt most comfortable with, and allowed me to practice my French even though she could have spoken in English! Also, after dinner I asked for directions to get back to our hotel. I had a map and another waitress even joined in trying to help us find the best way back. Our waitress wasn't quite sure, but the other girl was bound to help us home. She even went out of her way to find the address of our hotel, input it into Google maps, and then get me a pen so we could trace our path home. I thought that was outstanding customer service and the two waitresses should be commended. They wished us goodluck and sent us out with a friendly smile.

The overall experience was good with excellent customer service and I would recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Ate here for dinner with my husband on our trip to Quebec City. The food was nothing spectacular but the price was good and the food came out quickly.

Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Not worth your time or money if you are in this beautiful city. There are much better restaurants with delicious cuisines on the same street.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

For starters, the hostess was easily the rudest person I've met here. The place was busy when we arrived and we were told there was no waitlist and they didn't take reservations but we could stand around and wait until it was our turn. After a few people who came in after us got seated my wife asked the hostess what happened. She was told they made a reservation but that they were still not taking reservations for tonight. Clearly this didn't make sense. When was asked to talk to the mgr, she wasn't much more help but did say they would seat us right away. We said the people standing next to us got here first, but that we would be happy to sit after they got a table. Our server was nicer, and the mgr did comp our drinks for the trouble. As far as the food, it was medicore at best. I'd put it on par with a cheap italian chain from the states. I'd say avoid the place...