“Simultaneously familiar and surprisingly different”
Review of La Gueule de Bois

La Gueule de Bois
Ranked #36 of 1,442 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Local food, local crowd. Amazing food, nice wines, out of beaten track.
Columbus, Ohio
“Simultaneously familiar and surprisingly different”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

What makes the menu here unique is the unusual pairings of flavors; the proprietor's "spin" is to take traditional french cuisine, add local Quebecois ingredients, and a unique flavor profile to create dishes that are simultaneously familiar and surprising. Delicious food in a friendly, unpretentious atmosphere, at a friendly price. A local neighborhood joint, worth leaving the touristy area for.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank GlobalQuest

New York City, New York
“good dining experience for french cuisine”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We drove past this small place several times without noticing much until we saw the good reviews on tripadvisor. We finally found time to go there for a family dinner and we were very satisfied. The bison meat of the appetizer was a hit and we never expected it to be so gentle and tasty. The four different entrees we ordered all were delicious. Kids and parents were equally happy about the visit. All waiters and waitress were very friendly and spoke perfect English.

one important thing for first timer to know is that reservation is almost always needed for weekend since it is a popular but small place.

• Visited December 2013
Owings Mills, Maryland
“Excellent dining experience in Quebec City”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

This was my first time dining in La Gueule De Bois and I must say that the dining experience was wonderful. My partner and I arrived at the restaurant around 9:00pm on a Friday after touring the city and to follow the recommendations from our hotel concierge, we decided it to give it a try.
The restaurant has a casual, yet cozy, ambiance with friendly and very professional staff.
For starters, I chose the Bison Gravlax which was delicious and for the main course, I decided to try the Elk steak which was amazing and cooked to perfection. All in all, the dinner was fantastic and reasonably priced.
I truly recommend this restaurant and the next time that I visit Quebec, I will definitely return.

• Visited November 2013
Maine
“Best dining experience in Quebec City”
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

We loved every minute of our dining experience at La Guele de Bois. We visited in the off season and the restaurant was full... Diners relaxing and enjoying their dessert and coffee, a boisterous party of 20 celebrating a birthday... We knew we found a place that was not just for tourists, but that has a loyal local following, and for good reason. Personable service, interesting menu with flawless execution. Black pudding is a must. Merci beau coup to this fine restaurant for our favorite dining experience in QC.

Quebec City, Canada
“Good food, good service, fine prices”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I've been to La gueule de bois probably a dozen times, mostly for lunch but also for dinner. This is one of my favorites in the neigborhood.
For lunch, there are about 4 choices on the menu. They sometimes have a vegetarian option but it's usually pretty strong on meat. Meals are well executed with good ingredients, often local. I've neve been disapointed.
Their chocolate and salted caramel desert is sooo good. I take it everytime.
They have a nice selection of not too expensive bottles of wine.
The service is good, waters are professionnal and friendly. We had good service even when we go as a group (8+).
I recommand it.