“Great food and entertaining atmosphere!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #52 of 1,427 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Great food and entertaining atmosphere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

A small restaurant outside of the touristy area of Quebec City, this restaurant has an interesting menu with excellent informal service. All of the dishes that were tried, both the small "patentes" and the large/entrees or machins were delicious with very fresh, often local ingredients. Well worth the visit,

Visited July 2013

Camden, ME
“A Simply Amazing Meal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We'd heard about Restaurant L'Affaire est Ketchup but it was closed the night we tried it so we were advised to go further down the street to its twin Patente et Machin which was open. WOW! We sat at the bar which is more like sitting at the kitchen counter since all the cooking is done on a stove and in an oven an arm's length away. What a show and what incredible food! We had a creamed mushroom appetizer that was fabulous and I had duck tenderloins and my wife a lamb shank for our main courses. Yes, it is possible to love your own entree and still be jealous of your partner's. My duck was done with a light licorice sauce and my wife's lamb was as tender and flavorful as can be imagined. Both were served with delicious mashed potatoes and perfectly cooked vegetables.

Yes, salt and butter make this a Weight-watchers free zone but to live is to eat. The restaurant is small but packs in about 30 and as far as I can tell there are two cooks, two waiters and possibly a dishwasher we never saw but assumed was there. The service was friendly and watching the cooks do their stuff was totally fun. With a couple of glasses of beer and wine we still were under $100 for a meal we'll long remember.

• Visited July 2013
Toronto, Canada
“relaxed vibe and great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Our waiter at our hotel restaurant suggested this restaurant and we were not disappointed. It is relaxed with the menu on a black board above the chef. I had sea urchin, mussels and the cheese plate. I liked the sea urchin, didn't love the mussels (but perhaps that was because I was expecting steamed mussels and these seemed smoked and served in oil), my husband had the scallops ceviche as an appetizer and ordered the steak with frites for a main course. However, the next table had the seared scallops and they looked so good he asked if he could add a few to his steak. The waiter was happy to oblige. Our service was good, the waiter was knowledgeable regarding both the menu and the wine.

We would go back again

• Visited April 2013
Quebec City, Canada
“Care for thingies?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Patente et Machin both mean "thingy" in French and here you can have small thingies (appetizers), normal thingies (entrees) and big thingies (entrees for 2). Most of those thingies are rich in calories, meaty and hearty, following a trend for this sort of food which is popular in Quebec these days, especially among guys in their early 30s who were in large number the night we booked there.

Small thingies were a bit too small though. That was the case of the duck gizzard salad, which could be more generous. Same thing with the scallops.

Regular thingies were more generous, quality and quantities. The pork and the sweetbread had a similar presentation, in a sauce with small potatoes and root veggies, but if you like sweetbread, let me tell you that its one of the best I ever eaten.

The couple with us shared a big thingy of juicy lamb chops cooked in their own fat they said was delicious, to the point I know what I'll order in my next visit.

So, if you care for meaty thingies in a relaxed atmosphere in a part of Quebec City that is in "evolution", you should appreciate this place.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank greggg
Montreal, Canada
“Good food, nice place, great ambiance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Good food, nice place, great ambiance... the title says it all !
Had a nice evening with my boyfriend, the place was surprisingly crowed for a late dinner. Small restaurant with great tasting food.

Visited February 2013