“We had fun.”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
chicago, il
“We had fun.”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We wanted to go to L'affaire est Ketchup but our concierge suggested that she book us here if Ketchup was filled. It was, so she did, and we weren't sorry. The restaurant is sort of off the beaten track, in a neighborhood that we otherwise woudn't have visited. We took a cab there and found the area to be much more diverse than many parts of Quebec City. We had a nice walk around before dinner.
Dishes here are divided into small plates, medium plates, entree-sized plates, and extra large (for 2) plates. The waiters was delightful and he spent 10 minutes explaning the preparation of every item on the menu which was on a chalk board as it changes daily. He didn't know the names in English of all the ingredients so there was much discussion with other restaurant staff to explain what it all was. It took him just as long to explain everything to the locals that sat next to us. This isn't a tourist restaurant - and you could hear hear his enthusiasm for every dish in every description.
You can order small or large plates, veggie, meat, fish, etc. Everything we ate was great. Definately recommended.

2 Thank pvexplorer

“Where food, art, fancy and imagination meet deliciously and affordably (off the tourist trail)”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

In a tourist city like Québec City it is wonderful to find a gem like “Patente et Machin”. It is small, so be sure to call ahead to reserve. The second time we went, even though it was Sunday night, there was only place left at the bar; which was actually quite fun since you get to see them cook and you can talk to the chef if you like.

The restaurant is on a small narrow street in the St-Roch neighbourhood, which is an older, central neighbourhood, and therefore has more affordable rents for chef owned and operated restaurants like this one, where food, art, fancy and imagination meet deliciously and affordably.

Your waiter will do such a great job explaining the ever changing menu in detail that you will want to order one of everything. They offer three sizes of dishes, the ‘petits machines’ (4-8$), like soups or cheeses or patés, then there are the 'machins' 8-15$) which are larger starters, then the 'patentes' (16-25$) which are hearty meals, and the 'grosses patentes' (24-45$), which they say are for two people, but could feed 3 or four in our experience.

This last time we went, we had two 'machins' and one 'patente'. We shared the three dishes between the two of us, and we had no room for dessert. The first time we went, we had one 'petit machin' (amazing onion rings drizzled with honey and covered with aged asiago shavings), one 'machin' (steak tartare), and one 'grosse patente' (a whole pintade on a bed of creamy gnocchi, wild mushrooms and veg.); and we rolled out of there far too full (it was just too good to leave any behind on our plate!).

They have an excellent wine list as well including reasonably priced private imports.

1 Thank P1e
Toronto, Canada
“Outstanding food at reasonable price”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Tiny and new (Aug. 2012), this is a gem of a place with interesting wines, eclectic food, and friendly atmosphere. We had the scallops and Pintade (Guinea Fowl) which were just outstanding.

Stratford, Ontario
“Incredible in every way!”
Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

We tried out Patente et Machin on a Monday when it's sister restaurant was closed. I am SO glad we did! Casual laid back atmosphere, like a gathering at a friends home. The 2 servers were extraordinary at explaining the menu and suggesting drinks. Food was among the best I have ever had. You must try the onion rings. Portions are huge! Incredible. Incredible.

1 Thank StaceyLSH
Quebec City, Canada
“This is a home-run, a hole-in-one and an OT goal all in one!”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

After sampling Patente et machin's big brother (L'Affaire est ketchup) a few times, I was intrigued by this newly opened restaurant, which features more restaurant equipment, including fryers and more room for people to sit, even though it's still a small and cozy place.

I selected to sit at the counter, which offers a perfect view of the open kitchen. The very talented chef was preparing all kinds of dishes and I'll confess I was already salivating. Our waiter came by and explained with great passion the whole menu (as listed on several chalkboards) with a more in-depth description of each dish. My choice was made for one dish when the following description made me second guess, only to be once again challenged by the next one. With choices of small appetizers, larger appetizers, full dishes and large shareable dishes, there's a whole lot to sample.

I started with popcorn sweetbreads, which were nice and crispy outside, but soft and melting inside, served with wonderful mushrooms. I also sampled the onion rings, served with an extremely light breading, drizzled with honey and covered in old cheddar shavings, simply fantastic.

The main course was a wonderful boar gnocchi, served with 2 types of mushrooms (black chanterelle and lobster mushrooms), perfectly seasoned and cooked. Every bite was dreamy and creamy, but so rich and a huge portion that I couldn't finish the whole plate. I got to bring some of it back with me for a 2nd coming of great taste.

Every dish I sampled was extraordinary, and watching the chef prepare everything in front of our eyes, from scallops and boar ribs to a whole guineafowl, was a great experience. The music was ecclectic, but never too loud and the ambiance was very friendly, with friends of the kitchen staff sitting next to me and enjoying the evening.

I give this restaurant 5 stars for it's value, the amazing flavours it offers, the great ambiance and a huge list of dishes that I'll have to go back to again and again to sample.

2 Thank Fblondin