“Excellent lunch!”

Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cote du Palais
Description: Confit goose and duck leg parmentier, potatoes with mushrooms and fir tree essence, birch syrup vinaigrette: these are a few examples of what can be found on the menu at Chez Boulay – Bistro Boréal. On rue Saint-Jean in Quebec City since 2012, the restaurant places a value on the boreal region, especially the produce from the vast wilderness of northern Canada. For the last five years, the Bistro has been a popular destination because of our passionate chefs. Come meet our team and enjoy a memorable Nordic experience. Five years after the opening of Chez Boulay – Bistro Boreal, Arnaud Marchand and his team innovate and export their culinary talent into this new gastronomic adventure: the Comptoir boreal. In our charming and warm space in the heart of Quebec City, you will find pastries, sandwiches and ready-made meals that emphasize the value of the produce from our region. Foodies and clients on the go can come and enjoy snacks and meals that are out of the ordinary.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The carrot soup is outstanding! I also had seared grenadier fish which was beautifully served over puréed peas, asparagus, and fiddlehead ferns. The meal was topped off with Creme brûlée. I did not have a reservation, but was seated quickly. The restaurant is beautiful and the service was excellent. Highly recommended!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,095)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We treated ourselves to a fantastic meal here. So many choices. The service was superb. In addition to attentiveness from our assigned service staff, I was very impressed by restaurant team members unobtrusively but constantly walking around making sure all was well (drinks refilled or reordered, plates removed promptly etc). Well oiled machine! Food was delicious.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I went to Chez Boulay with 4 friends who raved about their orders. They're foodies who will try anything and were undeterred by dishes like blood pudding and duck tongues. I am not very adventurous and played it safe ordering the roast chicken breast and lentils. Sadly, the chicken was dry and tasteless and the lentils were undercooked and crunchy. Not someplace I personally would ever go back to, but my friends loved it.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have been here a number of times and consistently found the food experience to be really great. The usual combinations of flavours is unlike anything else in town, so while it is on the pricey side, I find it worth the extra.

However, last night I dined there with two friends. I had the salmon, which was excellent. One of my friends had the magnet de canard, which she said was excellent. They also shared an appetizer of arctic char carpaccio that they really appreciated, and the third person had, as a main course, the scallops. We were therefore surprised that when it was served, his portion was so tiny compared to ours. Ours were not huge, but they were considerably more substantial (and less expensive).

His plate had three dollar-sized scallops on a very average portion of risotto. It was apparently excellent, but too small of a portion to satisfy...or justify the $32 price.

Since we are all regular travellers, and I do go there periodically, we decided to make a comment at the end of our meal just to tell the server that the chef should know we found the portion really small. We weren't asking to reduce the price or compensate in some other way, It was just an observation at the end of an appreciated meal. Well, that didn't go over well. The server asked me if I was familiar with the price of scallops in Québec. Now, I know I have an accent, but it occurred to me only later that I suppose I was being spoken to that way as though I was 'only' a tourist? I don't know. But it was unpleasant, and from there, we found ourselves not trying to engage the server anymore, but she persisted and said that we did not speak up at the beginning of the meal when she first came by to see if everything was to our liking. This is true, but she came back to that point several times when we tried to communicate that we were just making a comment and not placing a complaint. She continued, telling us that the portion was the same that they serve to everyone for that dish. She even said that had we spoken up earlier, we could maybe have fixed things--either pay extra for more scallops or discuss the price. Again, we said we were not trying to get a price break, but were just hoping she would share our comment with the chef.

Anyway, it put a damper on an otherwise really lovely evening, and really took us all by surprise.

I highly recommend the restaurant despite this and just hope that in the future, if patrons make a comment, that it will be accepted more graciously.

1  Thank Jill G
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I was attracted by the Boreal tag but this was clearly a good choice. The food and service was outstanding. Our waiter was out of this world. I had the cod which was awesome and this coming from a Norwegian.

1  Thank taarhaug