“Excellent lunch!”

Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cote du Palais
Description: When our chefs Jean Luc Boulay and Arnaud Marchand joined together to open Chez Boulay – Bistro Boreal, their goal was to highlight the richness of Quebec’s local products. Nordic cuisine invites discovery of unique regional products through the rhythm of the seasons. Elk, trout, elderberry flower and Labrador tea are featured on our menu in creative ways. It is a surprising blend of Quebec culinary traditions and international influences. While exploring Nordic cuisine, one discovers unique products. Cranberry seed oil, hemp oil and apple cider vinegar proudly occupy a place in our menu and replace staples from the South like olive oil and citrus. Since the opening of the Bistro, our chefs and cooks have made amazing discoveries, which have been integrated into the gourmet bistro menu and this proudly underscores the richness of our boreal region.
Reviewed May 29, 2018 via mobile

The carrot soup is outstanding! I also had seared grenadier fish which was beautifully served over puréed peas, asparagus, and fiddlehead ferns. The meal was topped off with Creme brûlée. I did not have a reservation, but was seated quickly. The restaurant is beautiful and the service was excellent. Highly recommended!

1  Thank 675deborahy
Write a ReviewReviews (2,332)

Reviewed May 27, 2018

We treated ourselves to a fantastic meal here. So many choices. The service was superb. In addition to attentiveness from our assigned service staff, I was very impressed by restaurant team members unobtrusively but constantly walking around making sure all was well (drinks refilled or reordered, plates removed promptly etc). Well oiled machine! Food was delicious.

Reviewed May 27, 2018 via mobile

I went to Chez Boulay with 4 friends who raved about their orders. They're foodies who will try anything and were undeterred by dishes like blood pudding and duck tongues. I am not very adventurous and played it safe ordering the roast chicken breast and lentils. Sadly, the chicken was dry and tasteless and the lentils were undercooked and crunchy. Not someplace I personally would ever go back to, but my friends loved it.

Reviewed May 26, 2018

I have been here a number of times and consistently found the food experience to be really great. The usual combinations of flavours is unlike anything else in town, so while it is on the pricey side, I find it worth the extra.

However, last night I dined there with two friends. I had the salmon, which was excellent. One of my friends had the magnet de canard, which she said was excellent. They also shared an appetizer of arctic char carpaccio that they really appreciated, and the third person had, as a main course, the scallops. We were therefore surprised that when it was served, his portion was so tiny compared to ours. Ours were not huge, but they were considerably more substantial (and less expensive).

His plate had three dollar-sized scallops on a very average portion of risotto. It was apparently excellent, but too small of a portion to satisfy...or justify the $32 price.

Since we are all regular travellers, and I do go there periodically, we decided to make a comment at the end of our meal just to tell the server that the chef should know we found the portion really small. We weren't asking to reduce the price or compensate in some other way, It was just an observation at the end of an appreciated meal. Well, that didn't go over well. The server asked me if I was familiar with the price of scallops in Québec. Now, I know I have an accent, but it occurred to me only later that I suppose I was being spoken to that way as though I was 'only' a tourist? I don't know. But it was unpleasant, and from there, we found ourselves not trying to engage the server anymore, but she persisted and said that we did not speak up at the beginning of the meal when she first came by to see if everything was to our liking. This is true, but she came back to that point several times when we tried to communicate that we were just making a comment and not placing a complaint. She continued, telling us that the portion was the same that they serve to everyone for that dish. She even said that had we spoken up earlier, we could maybe have fixed things--either pay extra for more scallops or discuss the price. Again, we said we were not trying to get a price break, but were just hoping she would share our comment with the chef.

Anyway, it put a damper on an otherwise really lovely evening, and really took us all by surprise.

I highly recommend the restaurant despite this and just hope that in the future, if patrons make a comment, that it will be accepted more graciously.

1  Thank Jill G
Reviewed May 24, 2018 via mobile

I was attracted by the Boreal tag but this was clearly a good choice. The food and service was outstanding. Our waiter was out of this world. I had the cod which was awesome and this coming from a Norwegian.

1  Thank taarhaug