“Great food with no pretense”

Chez Boulay-bistro boreal
Ranked #13 of 1,511 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cote du Palais
Description: Confit goose and duck leg parmentier, potatoes with mushrooms and fir tree essence, birch syrup vinaigrette: these are a few examples of what can be found on the menu at Chez Boulay – Bistro Boréal. On rue Saint-Jean in Quebec City since 2012, the restaurant places a value on the boreal region, especially the produce from the vast wilderness of northern Canada. For the last five years, the Bistro has been a popular destination because of our passionate chefs. Come meet our team and enjoy a memorable Nordic experience. Five years after the opening of Chez Boulay – Bistro Boreal, Arnaud Marchand and his team innovate and export their culinary talent into this new gastronomic adventure: the Comptoir boreal. In our charming and warm space in the heart of Quebec City, you will find pastries, sandwiches and ready-made meals that emphasize the value of the produce from our region. Foodies and clients on the go can come and enjoy snacks and meals that are out of the ordinary.
Reviewed July 2, 2014

All things considered, this is probably one of the best meals I have ever had. My girlfriend and I generally find Quebec fare to be very heavy and traditional so we were looking for something a little different. Cue Chez Boulay. These guys still do a lot of typical regional and seasonal dishes, but in new innovative ways and without the fuss. The place itself is gorgeous. Even though I have never been there, I like to think it its look resembles the world-famous Noma in Copenhagen. Our waitress was great -- striking up a conversation (in either French or English) and providing great advice on the menu and some more information on the regional and seasonal ingredients. I had heard some good reviews about the bison cheeks and the tenderness of the meat blew me away. It paired very well with some of the excellent (Canadian) wines on the sizeable and affordable wine list. Finally, I like the fact that you can have a peek in the open kitchen at the back of the restaurant. Quebec City has some great restaurants and this one is probably leading the pack. We will certainly go back!

2  Thank Earlybird6
Write a ReviewReviews (1,978)

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I was with a group of business associates and their wives we were given this restaurant by our meeting planner, I was apprehensive ...shouldn't have been the food was wonderful ! The sliced duck Breast was perfect ! Not over - done Like most places serve it ...it was grilled to perfection.
The appetizer platters were excellent ...pâté , duck, assorted sausage, all well made.. Cheese assortment was great .... Tartars, char and bison were interesting and quite tasty....we drank Canadian wines that were surprisingly good....the halibut fillets were firm with good flavor....I shared these 2 entrees with my wife, other people had other items such as the buffalo cheeks and raved about them....our waitress was excellent and did a really nice job... We shared several deserts around the table and they were all good too.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

In Proust's masterpiece, there is a passage where eating a Madeleine cookie transports him back to his childhood. Eating the Nordic- inspired cuisine Chez Boulay et Marchand transported me to Abisko, Sweden, where I spent two summers. The fir-scented salmon tartare with birch syrup was delicate and sweet, and the berry tart with cloudberry syrup heavenly. By far the highlight of our week of dining out in Quebec. Recommended by the Hotel Manoir Victoria, where we stayed.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

The reason it is so busy is because it is so good.We were recommended by various people locally and were not disappointed. The service is slick, love the open cooking station and the menu has somuch to offer. OK it isnt cheap - but where in Quebec City is ....

4  Thank SurreyGirl27
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

From start to finish everything was superb.The bread and butter, the preparation and serving of the appetizers, the wine list main course and desert were outstanding including the portions. I would not hesitate going back or referring a friend! Bravo!