“Should have been better”

Chez Boulay-bistro boreal
Ranked #12 of 1,437 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: Diner, French, Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cote du Palais
Description: Confit goose and duck leg parmentier, potatoes with mushrooms and fir tree essence, birch syrup vinaigrette: these are a few examples of what can be found on the menu at Chez Boulay – Bistro Boréal. On rue Saint-Jean in Quebec City since 2012, the restaurant places a value on the boreal region, especially the produce from the vast wilderness of northern Canada. For the last five years, the Bistro has been a popular destination because of our passionate chefs. Come meet our team and enjoy a memorable Nordic experience. Five years after the opening of Chez Boulay – Bistro Boreal, Arnaud Marchand and his team innovate and export their culinary talent into this new gastronomic adventure: the Comptoir boreal. In our charming and warm space in the heart of Quebec City, you will find pastries, sandwiches and ready-made meals that emphasize the value of the produce from our region. Foodies and clients on the go can come and enjoy snacks and meals that are out of the ordinary.
SoCal
“Should have been better”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We were excited to eat at this restaurant since it had received great reviews. We were seated and gave our order and then it felt as if the wait staff forgot about us. Our finished appetizer plates sat for 25 minutes. The wait staff brought the main course and cleared the appetizer plates at the same time and didn't provide new cutlery. The veal that I ordered was excellent and the portion was so large that I shared it with the 3 others at the table. My husband's chicken dish was really strange - it seemed that the breast had been pulverized and was mushy.

Visited August 2013

• Korean first
Québec, Qc
“Great at all occasions”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Nice place for a comfortable Sunday brunch, original and tasty. Plates were a bit big to my liking, but that is for us to stop eating when not hungry anymore. It is also a very nice place for more formal occasions, such as dinner. Unique menu, very well prepared food.

• Visited May 2013
Naples Florida
“Local Dishes are Unusual and Delicious”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Chez Boulay specializes in what it calls Nordic Cuisine, and I am happy indeed to have tried it.

My meal began with an appetizer of arctic char carpaccio. The fish was preserved in the manner of nova scotia salmon, sliced very thin and served with an elderberry vinegar and an accompaniment of local berries.

My entrée was braised bison cheeks. The meat was tender and tasty. I must confess that I could not distinguish it from well prepared beef short ribs. The dish was accompanied by a slaw of celery and apples.

Service was prompt, food was well prepared and tasty and prices were reasonable for the quality.

I wholeheartedly recommend that travelers sample this cuisine as it features food of the locality.

• Visited August 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Delicious food in a beautiful room”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful meal at Chez Boulay during our visit to Quebec. The dining room is comfortable and open. My husband ordered a veal chop and I had the halibut special. Both were well prepared and the sauces were excellent. The sides were inconsistent. The beets with my halibut were somewhat bitter, but the green bean puree was surprisingly good. My husband had mushrooms with his veal that were great, but the "prairie" rice was under seasoned. Service was very attentive and faster than most other meals we have had in the city. Cost was very reasonable for the quality of the meal and dining experience. We would definitely visit again.

• Visited August 2013
Washington, DC
“Disappointed”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We were disappointed with this meal. The restaurant and chef got a lot of hype, but the food was just okay and not worth the cost. Also our service was not great. One of our sides was forgotten and brought when we were basically finished with our entree. For the cost and the hype we expected better food and much better service.

Visited August 2013