Having stayed in the excellent Auberge Pomerol Hotel, Montreal, for four nights we moved on to this Quebec hotel (that was supposed to be of the same standard as the Pomerol) for five nights. (The L' Autre Jardin provides guests with leaflets for the Pomerol, Montreal).
From the moment that we entered the L'Autre Jardin things went "downhill".
Our reception was impersonal and the "stair-lift", that could have been used to transport one person and a suitcase, wasn't working.
Reluctantly, the male receptionist helped with one suitcase while I
(a 70 year old) was left to lift the other up a short flight of stairs.
Facilities were "pointed out" to us but no attempt was made to show us to our room or other facilities. The receptionist's understanding and use of the English language was poor.
The decor of our room and bathroom was well below advertised standards (and depressing) - and our room window looked out towards a tall industrial building (about one metre away) - that resulted in the room being dark/dismal even at mid-day. The alley-way was used to store disgarded items).
Our bathroom had the following deficiencies:
The extractor fan didn't work (embarrasing after using the en-suite toilet) and "steamy" after using the shower/bath.
Our sink only held water for around one minute - therefore hot water had to be run consistently if one was to wet-shave.
The shower-head constantly dripped onto the bath-tap handles, causing splashes all around the area, when a bath was "run".
The decor was dismal (dark, navy tiles).
Room service was erratic, with the maid forgetting to replenish tea-bags on our first two nights and our drinking glasses and soap one another occasion.
On one occasion a face-cloth was replaced with one with a large hole and ragged edges.
The electrics in the room were below standard (if not potentially dangerous). e.g. one lead was taped with electrical tape, the standard-lamp on/off switch didn't work, the television was of the old tube type and a extention lead was used to supply additional socket outlets.
The service at breakfast was functional, providing a continental buffet-style breakfast (with the addition of "leather consistency" scrambled egg). Promised bagels (and marmalade) were never available and croissants were hard and unpalatable.
There was a canteen-style atmosphere.
However, hygiene seemed good.
Receptionists seemed a little overworked with typing, answering the phone and responding to visitors' queries; we often stood for at least four to five minutes at reception before the receptionist looked up and provided our room key. Generally their use/understanding of English was poor (for the hospitality industry).
However, on one occasion (on our last day) when I had lost my wallet (containing Debit/Credit Cards, Currency) the receptionist was very helpful with appropriate advice etc. (within her limited understanding of the English Language).
The Reception/Waiting area lounge was of a poor standard - decor wise and facilities were below standard.
However the provided free wi-fi was very good and the air conditioning worked well.
All in all a disappointing experience - compared with The Pomerol in Montreal!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At l'Auberge l'Autre Jardin, you will enjoy being responsible consumers and will experience a concept in tourism unique in Quebec City!L'Autre Jardin, a thoroughly urban inn, is an offshoot of Carrefour Tiers-Monde, an organization of international cooperation that aims to further sustainable development and fair trade on our planet.L'Auberge l'Autre Jardin invites you to discover the heart of Quebec City with its original boutiques, venues and restaurants; an area bustling with artists, students and high tech entrepreneurs, just a few minutes away from the Old City. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Cancelon and Hotel.de so you can book your L'Autre Jardin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- l`Autre Jardin Hotel Quebec City
- L'Autre Jardin Quebec/Quebec City