“Solid value and good service”

Hotel des Coutellier
Ranked #8 of 100 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed March 1, 2014

This well-maintained little boutique hotel features quaint rooms that are kept scrupulously clean. Beds are comfortable, the WIFI works really well, and the staff is friendly and helpful. Overall, a comfortable place to stay. My room faced St-Paul, which has a bit of traffic. The historical features of the building include windows that do not close perfectly so one can hear traffic noise. However, shutters keep out the cold. TV reception is good; bathroom clean and functional with an excellent array of toiletries. The hotel features an elevator so one can easily access the top floors with luggage. Rooms include a mini-bar fridge that can be used to store a few things. This is practical if you want to keep things from the breakfast basket.

Those who want protein for breakfast should plan ahead or eat out. However, where continental breakfasts go, the content of the basket was nice. Aside from butter and jam, included in both baskets, the first breakfast basket contained yogurt, juice, a scone and a pastry. The second one contained applesauce, a chocolate pastry, a chocolate chip muffin, and juice. The second contained too many simple carbs for me so I ended up saving it to eat throughout the day. The items were good, though. I discovered a supermarket not far from the hotel where I was able to purchase small quantities of cheese and other items. My husband would have been fine with lots of sugar for breakfast so it's just a matter of planning. I also did not ask for any special considerations and understand that the hotel staff has been very solicitous of special requests when they can honor them (gluten-free products, for example).

Some people mentioned that one has to make coffee and that there was not a lot of it. I agree - and the single container of cream in the basket did not cheer me. Then I discovered fresh coffee and all the fixings available in the lobby. There is also tea and fruit there later in the day. This is a very nice touch - although I would have liked to have known about it before I got dressed to go out and hunt for coffee the first morning I was there. Other than this minor point, I really liked this little hotel and would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing St-Paul may be quieter - ask the hotel when booking.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank dondedieu
Write a ReviewReviews (1,111)

Reviewed February 27, 2014

We loved every minute of our stay here. The room was so cozy and comforting in the midst of a Quebec winter! Everything was clean and comfortable--I especially loved the bathrobes they provided. Our room's bathroom was one of the nicest bathrooms I've seen in a hotel.

My favorite thing about this hotel was the free breakfast. It arrived hanging on the door each morning so we were treated to "breakfast in bed." It was a high quality breakfast, too: croissants, pain au chocolat, muffins, fruit, applesauce, jams, cheese, and coffee downstairs.

The only downside to this hotel (literal downside) is that it is in the lower part of town and you will have to walk up steep stairs or steep winding roads to get to many attractions in the Upper Town. However, this can also be seen as a plus because it will give you good exercise! It is also directly across the street from a neat market.

Highly recommended.

2  Thank Allison H
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I have stayed here for a week as part of my business travel and loved this place. The hotel ambiance is excellent and the service staffs were really friendly. I would recommend this hotel more for honeymoon or holidaying couples as the hotel setup itself was so romantic. Located in the heart of the historic Quebec city, the hotel is located at a walk-able distance from all major attractions in the city.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank ajishanand
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

This is a stylish hotel on the edge of Quebec's old town. It's staff are friendly and helpful, and the rooms are clean and well decorated. Some fun twists too- like your breakfast comes in a hamper that is hung on your door in the morning. The location is a short walk to nice hotels, bars and the main train station. Quebec is an amazing place to visit and this is a great, romantic spot to stay.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stozzamon
Reviewed February 24, 2014

The Hotel is well located a short distance from the upper town .
The location suffers from a few factors ..
One a very small lobby
as we had to maneuver between a group of men standing there
talking .. Little space for them to congregate and allow guests
to check in.
There was limited space to park our car while we were
getting our luggage out .. The hotel directs you to
a parking lot across the street .. Which is close .. Too bad
they do not have their own dedicated parking spots.
The location suffers from being located diagonally across
from an ESSO gas station .. Just takes the romanticism
out of the equation initially .
The rooms are small ..however well appointed .

Not sure whether I would stay here in the future

1  Thank Ken L
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Surching for a hotel in Old Quebec for St Valentin and also the Quebec Carnaval,
find DesCoutellier and I am glade of it, the service is excellent, the parking near by for $10 a day only 15 to 20 minutes walk to all attraction in the old Quebec .
The room very cosy and confortable the morning breakfast very good the bathroom good clean.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I did A LOT of research when picking a hotel for Quebec City. Price, location, parking, breakfast, etc. I settled on this one and kind of forgot about it until the actual trip. The front desk service was great and even let me practice my French. There's parking right across the street in a lot for $10/day. I love how quaint and small the place is, yet it still has everything you would expect. The location is wonderful. I could see the city wall from my window. The best part probably had to be the breakfast. You open the door in the morning and there's a hamper of croissants, scones, muffins, OJ, etc. After a day in the freezing winter, it's the perfect place to relax. They even have free DVD rentals, though we we're tired to watch anything!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple