“hotel vibes”

HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here 2 nights in a female dorm room. Originally I was only planning to stay overnight but due to lack of foresight Toronto was booked out and I ended up staying an extra night which was sorted out easily enough, front desk said I would need to strip my bed and change rooms though. I went down the next morning to 'check out' having packed up all my things and stripped my bed for the girl on desk to say she would move things around so that I could keep the same bed. That was great, but having already prepared to change pretty frustrating! Aside from that small point, staff were great and very helpful.

This hostel is HUGE, it's more akin to a hotel in many ways. They do have activities organised by the hostel and perhaps had I stayed longer I might have felt more at home. They have an equally huge kitchen which was great, washing facilities available, as well as a bar.

The internet connection is limited - something that wasn't mentioned until I discovered I had been capped out. Had I realised that I probably wouldn't have downloaded a movie to watch. Luckily you could connect through a different router so I wasn't without.

It's a great location, right in the middle of old Quebec. Its not far from a supermarket BUT it is a very steep hill to come back up with your groceries!!

Perhaps the only downside is of no fault of the hostel but I was woken up around 5am both nights by people packing up their stuff for an early checkout - full plastic bag shuffling, alarm ringing, creaky floorboard stepping, door slamming, zip pulling, packing. Thanks guys, could you have perhaps done most of that the night before?

Overall this served my purpose quite well, I was a little uncomfortable being in the city in general as I don't speak any French so I don't think this was ever going to be my most amazing stay in a hostel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Hayley Z
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Bonjour,
Thank you so much for the time taken to write this review. Our hostel has the best location directly into major attraction in a cultural environment. We did take into consideration your comment with regards of 5am check out; unfortunately as for now we have no specific rules on that kind of matter but we think that your point is very important we will look up to see how to improve. Hope to see you back at our hostel.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Its right in the middle of old town Quebec, the staff was great, the breakfast was good and the price was right. I'd stay there again. There were some recent renovations. Most of the people seemed to be seasoned travelers and sharing a room was no big deal.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Good day to you dear traveller,

Thank you some much for your comment, yes, our hostel is constantly innovating. You will have to come back and see. We are one of the biggest HI hostel in Canada and we are very proud of our establishment.

Hope to see you back !

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Clean rooms, plenty of useful information, small wooden framed beds and thin mattresses, friendly staff, simple breakfast. The location is good for walking to all the local attractions, since it is right in the middle of the old part of Quebec.

Room Tip: the private rooms with a shared bathroom are much cheaper than the private rooms with a private bath...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear Customer,
Thank you very much for your good comment, it is true that we have the best location in the heart of Québec city, we are a hostel and we are a HI hostel, we have to fill up certain standards. We are unique in all kinds of way and innovating constantly. Happy to see you liked your stay, hopefully you will be back to see our innovation.

Best regards

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I spent a night here last year as an multiple night trip to Montreal and my friend and I decided to spend the night in Quebec City. The hostel was clean and the shelves above each bed provided space for an alarm clock. Storage was sufficient and I was able to fit everything I needed into a small day pack, locking it in the room, leaving my primary bag in storage downstairs.

The breakfast which was included in the rate, was average. I think I had a glass of juice and a pastry. The night before, we had a hearty dish of poutine in one of the nearby restaurants.

Parking was near impossible to find. The loading zone in front of the hostel allowed time to offload, but as a Madonna concert was in the city the next day, we had to park in a public lot several blocks away. Of course, nobody could have anticipated this, and I doubt it will be a problem in the future.

The nightlife was impressive and near the hostel. I don't drink so staying at the hotel bar wasn't on my mind.

Overall, a great experience, It was close enough to see everything, but not in a sketchy part of town.

Room Tip: The showers are communal. Don't worry about it,
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you for your comment. Last minute trip are always a good way to travel. We did take note about finding the parking lot, comments are there to help us becoming better in our hostel. We are happy to read that you tried our '' poutine''. Hope to see you back in our wonderful region !

Take care

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed here with my 10-year-old daughter on the Moose Travel Whaler Tour and was impressed with the efficiency and cleanliness of this hostel. The location is outstanding, and although Quebec City is loud, I don't think I'd trade the value of this hostel for a place with AC so I could close the windows.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Good day to you,
Many thanks for time taken to write your comment. One of our mission here at our hostel is sustainability and that is why we do not have air conditionner, most of the summer we do not need it because our heritage establishment is preserving the cool Inside of our hostel. Hope to see you and your angel back at our hostel !

meanwhile, enjoy summer !

Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is probably the best hostel to stay at in Quebec City when it comes to location. The hostel is located just in the heart of the city, close to the railway station, and to all the tourists sights.

The rooms are quite simple, but very clean. I think they do a great job when it comes to taking care of cleanliness, the bathrooms were so clean that it's hard to believe it is the hostel and not a hotel with daily cleaning service. There is WiFi access for free, however it only works in common spaces and the connection drops rather often. Hostel has its own bar with, and also offers breakfast. Also you get access to well equipped kitchen. The bed was a bit uncomfortable and the 4-bedded-room was rather too small for all the luggage people had, but that is something that can be overlooked on a shorter stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful concerning all the practicalities; they also offer free activities for people to hang around together and see the city.

Would definitely recommend it to those traveling on budget, and those who like meeting new people. Great value for the money! Would definitely stay here again if I am ever back to Quebec.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

We would like to thank you for your comment about our hostel, it is always important to have a feedback from our customer, it's the best way to improve. We are implanting the optical fiber in our hostel so that our internet will be better for our clients. We are have employe's that has the hostel at heart, probably one of many reason why the hostel is so clean and staff so helpful.

Hope to see you back at our hostel !
Best

Reviewed June 29, 2013

In terms of location, you can't beat this hostel - it's right in the middle of Old Quebec, and as soon as you step outside you're right in the heart of it. The rooms are nothing special, but they're tidy, and the bathrooms are clean. The only downside was that the bed was a bit uncomfortable. Overall, it was a nice little hostel and very good for the price.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Good day to you, thank you for your interest shown towards our establishment, it is true we are well located in fact we had the best location for 2012 in one of the biggest website for hostels. We thank you for your comment and hope to see you again in our hostel !