“Great location but.....”

HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec
Reviewed October 20, 2012

The location was fantastic, located within the Old City walls and within a reasonable walk of the intercity train/bus stations, the breakfast was plentiful, the bathrooms were well designed and fastidiously clean, and the Montmorency falls tour was well worth doing. I found the layout of the dorm room I was in was not at all conducive to sleeping (particularly for the poor souls that ended up right next to the door), the lockers should be replaced as they don't seem too secure (chipboard with latches), the free wifi with restrictions was not explained very well at all and all the add ons that cost extra. Towels weren't offered at check in and there wasn't one on my bed either so I thought that the rules had changed since I had made my reservation and so was none the wiser. Perhaps it is unfair to compare with my other hostel experience as it was a reasonably new HI hostel in Boston but there is a finese there that was missing here....However I would stay here again due to the incredibly high price of accommodation in the area and the exceptional location, though I would look at a private or smaller dorm (I was in an 8 bed dorm).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Carolynn D, General Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

The hostel would like to thank you for the time taking to write your comment, all comments are precious to us, it helps improvement constantly. We are well located and all of our clients do enjoy the fact that we are in the heart of old Quebec city. In dormitory, towels are not included but sheets and conforter are. Wifi is offered free of charge in the hostel till 1Go per day I think, for those who needs to download a lot more stuff there is a computer room wich you can buy some time at a very low cost. Hopefully we will have the chance to have you back in our hostel.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

The hostel is really old, the beds needs to be changed and the staff is not friendly at all.
I have to say that the breakfast is good and the location is very convenient. They forgot to give us the towels and they forgot to prepare the picnic breakfast before leaving.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Carolynn D, General Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Good day, thank you for the time taking for your precious comment. That Auberge has infrastructure witth it's particular heritage character, The building is unique in the middle of Quebec. I am really sorry to read that you had problem with one of our employe's, please do not hesitate to contact the manager on site when you are not satisfied, then at least something can be done right away. Our towels are for private room only, we do give some to people in dorm's when we have some left. Wish you could come back and enjoy a better experience with us !

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Great hostel located within the walls of Old Quebec City. Awesome location close to attractions and restaurants. Self catering facilites as well as breakfast available and some food at the bar, yes there is a bar in the kitchen area if you don't want to go out for the evening. Variety of rooms available from dorms to private with shared bathrooms. Bathrooms and showers (always hot) where well cleaned everyday. Lots of different lounge areas, TV, reading and internet rooms. Helpful friendly staff. Secure underground parking nearby but not on site, $15 for 24 hours. All ages represented during our stay - from seniors to families with small children. Stayed for 5 nights.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you very much for taking time to write your comment about our hostel. Our hostel is the perfect place to stay when you feel like visiting Quebec City. We are a Hostel International have specific standard to respect.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Clean, quiet, safe - all with a wonderful location. I truly mean that. I traveled in a group of 3. We stayed in a room for 6 on the top floor. The rooms were clean. The linens with crisp. The beds were a little stiff, but not an issue. There were spacious lockers, enough for each bed. The bathrooms were clean. The staff at the desk were friendly... I could not ask for better!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Carolynn D, General Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

The HI of Quebec City would like to thank you for your time in writting your comment. We are very lucky to have good staff, good clients, in a perfect place as location.

Hope to see you in a near future !

Reviewed September 5, 2012

My room was decent here- we had a 6 person room between 4 of us (until the last morning when someone else turned up). The rooms were big enough, and had good bathroom facilities opposite. Everything was clean. Rooms also had lockers which was useful. One downside was that our room was very hot as it had clearly been empty all day with the door and windows closed; we managed to cool it down a little by leaving the windows open.

Free breakfast was a great inclusion, with a choice of cereal/toast/bagels etc. The bar was also a good area where we spent our last evening. The free wifi worked better than in a lot of other hostels too.

Finally, the hostel was in a great location within walking distance of everything, just inside the city walls.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

We thank you for your comment, being a part of Hostel International we have to keep our standard high. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Good:
- Relatively Clean
- Good Breakfast
- Amazing Location, smack in the middle of Old Quebec City.

Bad:
- Tourist info from the front desk is hit and miss. Aim to talk to the friendly looking employees.

Overall, I'd go there again. I really can't stress how good the location is.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Thank your for your comment, we did take in note the bad part witten in your comment.
Hope to see you again soon ...

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I review the "Auberge Internationale de Québec" as it is my second stay and would vouch for it and will come back. I experienced three bedrooms and a total of 8 days there.

The HI-Quebec is located at a perfect spot, inside the walls and fortications of the old town. It is by walking distance of the bus stops to go everywhere in the city, but also by walking distance of any historical place to visit such as Les Plaines d'Abraham, La Citadelle, L'hôtel du Parlement, and many museums. It is a minute away from the St. Jean street, where are a lot of excellents shops, pubs, and restaurants. It is also about 10 minutes walking from "La Grande Allée" where is all the nightlife in Quebec.

There is no parking spot coming with the hôtel - you can leave your car at the SPAQ parking which is about 3 minutes away from there. But the partking fees in Quebec are expensive - 15$ a day - and you might want to leave your car elsewhere or come by bus. By personnal experience, I enjoyed having my car to be able to do activities located outside the city - but it's pricey. If you're not to leave the OId Town too much, don't bring your car.

You can have any kind of room there : a 12-beds mixed dorm (24$ a night), a 8 or 6 beds for male or females, 4 beds family rooms or private bedrooms. The price goes up when you're less to share. I truely enjoyed the 12-beds dorm, as it is a guaranty to meet other travellers and make new friends to go out with or enjoy the accomodations of the hostel, but be aware that you can end up sharing your bunk with anyone so you need to be open minded. Choose the single sex if that is something that can bother you. As for the private bedrooms, they are more comfortable and beds are wider with better mats. The dorms has smaller beds (about 30 inches wide) with smaller mats. The bathrooms are located outside the rooms and communal for the guests. Each be is equiped with a private light for you to read at night without having to use the ceiling lamp.

The hostel accept travellers of all age so it is, in a way, great that they encourage everyone to travel on a budget and they make no discrimination - on my last night in the dorm it creeped me out to have an old men on the top bunk. I did not mind the gender shared and made very good friends that I plan to meet again, but not with elderlys - but that is my own limitations, maybe some persons don't mind. It made me feel uncomfortable. Be aware it can happen - but the shared dorm can also be a very great experience as you will meet young males and females from all around the world. I met a young russian, two danish and a french girl with wich I spend my trip with - that is what truely made this stay wonderful.

The hostel has lots of commodities - a living room with a tv, a second living room for reading or chatting, a big lobby, and outside yard, a kitchen, a dining room, and a coffee - bar - communal area.

You can use the kitchen to cook your own food for every meal. They offer the breakfast (continental type and all you can eat) for 4$ - buy your ticket at front desk.

They also organise activities on a daily basis or pretty much - it its a good way to meet other travellers. I did joined the BBQ activity and it was worth it.

The bedrooms, sheets, beds, bathrooms and commun areas were always clean when I visited.

The staff is helpful, friendly and will make your stay be good - I had an isolated incident with a member of the night staff about some noise caused by music and the manager handled that very well. She was kind enough to offer me a free upgrade for my last night and I have to say that after he was noticed of his behavior, that member of the staff changed his attitude with me and was polite and kind when I had to use the front desk services on the last night, which is a positive point for him & the hostel.

So, if you're going to Quebec, don't hesitate and go to HI-Quebec on St-Ursule :)

Room tip : No elevator so ask for 2nd floor if you don't want to carry you stuff. It's more quiet on the 3rd. During summer, alot of noise is coming from the street as you need the windows open. No problem in winter regarding that. 204 is the mixed dorm and has great big windows.

General tips : bring good shoes (lots of hills in the Old Town), earplugs and a blind for your eyes to sleep better.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

The HI of Quebec city is tanking you for the time you took putting your comment on tripadvisor, we are very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay at our Auberge, we are very lucky to have good clients like you, that takes time to put in writing all the good things to see around and good tips for others.
Many thanks !