“Accused of lying by front desk clerk”

HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec
Reviewed September 3, 2012

so I drove here. That was my first mistake. I wish the website had explained more about parking. I arrived after a 12 hr drive from PEI. There was no parking on the street by the hostel so I had to park a few blocks away and backpack my stuff up. The meter only took quarters. I had none with me since I hadn't known to expect this. It would be nice if the hostel mentioned that on the website.

I checked in and the front desk clerk checking me in was very nice. I bought a $15 parking pass for a underground parking lot around the corner. I walked back to my car... well there are tons of one way streets and one street was blocked off. Whilst the front desk clerk had given me a map and shown me where the parking lot was he didnt explain how to navigate the streets. I was driving around for an hour in circles.

I finally found the parking garage and couldn't figure out how to use it. It said to use your debit or credit but I had this ticket thing. I pressed the help button. I asked the lady if she spoke english. she said a little and then told me in french to insert my credit or debit card. I said I had a voucher from the hostel. She told me I could not enter in french and then went away. I had to back my car up the very steep hill ( I have a standard so it was not fun). I then drove around a bit more and found a spot on the street.

I walked back to the hotel and told the other front desk clerk what happened. He said he just needed to phone and check if the ticket had been used. I said okay no problem. i hadn't used it so I thought nothing of it. They talked on the phone in French so I don't know what they said. He got off the phone and told me it had been used. I was stunned. He said that maybe i just entered and left. I explained that no I hadn't because I had to back my car up.

He said well it was used at 8:07 and that was shortly after you checked in. At this point I started to cry. I was exhausted from the day and so upset. I swore a couple times....I know its a bad habit.. I didn't swear at the clerk. He started yelling at me and said what did I expect him to do. if he refunded it they wouldn't get the money back. He said his manager would get mad and make him pay it
I told him that was illegal... that they couldn't do that. He said to come back tomorrow and talk to the supervisor.

honestly if he had been more empathetic and not yelled at me I would have been fine. Also, the fact that he implied that I was lying really upset me. I'm a really honest person. Technically i have money and didn't need to be at the hostel. I just like the hostel experience.

Anyways I'll have to talk to the supervisor tomorrow and see if I can resolve this. I will never come back to this location. Unless you really have to.

I have to admit the location is prime. The pillow was terribly small though and the mattress was more uncomfortable than my thin camping pad. I would have been better off sleeping in my car.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Carolynn D, General Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thank you for your comment, unfortunately there has been a lack of communication between us. Usually we give clear and good information on all of our activities, possibilties (parking) and attractions to see in Quebec city. Since your comment, we improved our way of communication regarding parking lot. We are very sorry that a particular situation like yours didn't get to my attention before.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Nice location in the old town; we had a beautiful private room for an suitable but not cheap price. No pleasant was the customer servie at the front desk regarding the handling of problems. We arrived with a tour that included the reservation of dorm beds, but we booked a private room and informed the tour organizor. Unfortunately the hostel had two bookings under our name, but did not realize at check-in, that was very slow and apparently inefficient. After one night the hostel wanted the money for the dorm bed, too, and told us they were completly booked out and will loose money otherwise. This couldn't be true because one guy was travelling with us and slept alone in a whole dorm room during our stay. We got the feeling that they don't appreciate win-win situations. A little bit incomprehensible because the tour brings constantly new guests to this hostel. But beside that, we enjoyed the stay in Quebec City a lot!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Carolynn D, General Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Thank you for taking time to write your comments. We are so sorry for that misunderstanding, I guess when there is too many people in one matter it gets confusing for everyone. We are happy to read that your sojourn was great beside that incident and that you did enjoy the confort of our hostel.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

We stayed in a 4 bedroom dorm, which was huge; lots of space to put your stuff. There were 2 bathrooms on our floor which seemed to be enough, you just might need to wait for a shower in the morning. Bed's were fine, although being Winter, the blankets were quite thin.

Downstairs we used the TV and reading room in our spare time. Breakfast is really god with hard boiled eggs, fruit, bagels, juice etc. And the main street is only 1 turn down the street. You could probably walk to the train station, but we took a taxi (under $10) because it was snowing!

The place has a really nice feel to it, like being worn but in a good homely way :)

Room Tip: There's no elevator so if you've got a lot of stuff, try and get a room on the first floor
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Having stayed at the HI Quebec for seven days I left with the impression that this one of if not the best hostel I've been to in Canada.

I stayed in a six bed dorm and found the rooms to be huge, two tables, chairs, and lots of room to store your belongings without blocking anything. The WiFi reception was perfect, but as they are part of ZAP Quebec, a system that offers free wifi at various places in Quebec, you were only able to down/upload one GB per laptop per week which is not enough if you enjoy watching some videos on youtube or things like that. But if you need internet after exceeding the limit you can connect to one of two other WiFi networks of the hostel but you might have to go down to the bar to get one GB per week, laptop and week.

The hostel was clean, the kitchen in impeccable condition, large and well equipped.

The location is perfect, close to everything you need, 15 minutes uphill from the Gare du Palais, the main bus terminal. Small grocery stores are 5 minutes away, they might be a bit more expensive than larger one, which are further away, but I only used the small ones so I cant tell how far the larger ones are away. And it's in Old Quebec which is the most beautiful part of any Canadian city I've seen so far.

Activities by the staff did not take place on a daily base, I guess because it was off season (early March) but the tour to the Montmorency Falls was definitely worth it even though only me and my roommate took part.

So in conclusion I can only recommend this hostel, it's very very good.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank KnutNiemann
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We stayed here for New Year in a private double with shared bathroom. The room was clean and comfortable though slightly cramped due to a heater under the window and a large chair, but we still had just enough space for our bags on the floor, so no problem.

The bathrooms were clean and the showers were good.

The reception and bar staff were all friendly and helpful. They organise activities most days but we didn't end up taking part in any of them. The bar served reasonably priced meals and drinks and was a nice place to sit – not a problem to eat your own food in their with a beer from them either.

The kitchen was really well equipped and had plenty of hobs and sinks. It is thoroughly cleaned each day and they provide baskets for your fridge food so you don't have to cram everything into a carrier bag!

The location of the hostel is fantastic, walkable to everywhere...though we got a taxi to and from the train station as we didn't fancy walking in the icy snow in the dark up the hills! It was less than $10 though so it didn't break the bank and was worth it!

We really enjoyed our stay in Quebec and would love to go back to both the city and the hostel.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Some people think that staying in a hostel is for teenagers and that it is a mess... That is not true. I've been a hosteller since 1988 and there are so many advantages such as location, price, you can use the kitchen, and you can make new friends (it´s really different from a hotel)!
You can share a room with other people but you can also have your own room. That is exactly what I wanted in Quebed and th room was huge!!! There was even a fireplace! Breakfast was great and staff was really helpful and friendly and the location of the hostel is so nice and beautiful!!! It's really worth it! www.hostellingquebec.com

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 18, 2011

I stayed at this hostel for three night in a dormitory. I found the place to be neat and clean and the staff very helpful and friendly. Also, there is free WIFI and a great lounge to relax. Yet, the best thing about this hostel is its great location in old Quebec-City. Enjoyed my stay and would definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo