so I drove here. That was my first mistake. I wish the website had explained more about parking. I arrived after a 12 hr drive from PEI. There was no parking on the street by the hostel so I had to park a few blocks away and backpack my stuff up. The meter only took quarters. I had none with me since I hadn't known to expect this. It would be nice if the hostel mentioned that on the website.
I checked in and the front desk clerk checking me in was very nice. I bought a $15 parking pass for a underground parking lot around the corner. I walked back to my car... well there are tons of one way streets and one street was blocked off. Whilst the front desk clerk had given me a map and shown me where the parking lot was he didnt explain how to navigate the streets. I was driving around for an hour in circles.
I finally found the parking garage and couldn't figure out how to use it. It said to use your debit or credit but I had this ticket thing. I pressed the help button. I asked the lady if she spoke english. she said a little and then told me in french to insert my credit or debit card. I said I had a voucher from the hostel. She told me I could not enter in french and then went away. I had to back my car up the very steep hill ( I have a standard so it was not fun). I then drove around a bit more and found a spot on the street.
I walked back to the hotel and told the other front desk clerk what happened. He said he just needed to phone and check if the ticket had been used. I said okay no problem. i hadn't used it so I thought nothing of it. They talked on the phone in French so I don't know what they said. He got off the phone and told me it had been used. I was stunned. He said that maybe i just entered and left. I explained that no I hadn't because I had to back my car up.
He said well it was used at 8:07 and that was shortly after you checked in. At this point I started to cry. I was exhausted from the day and so upset. I swore a couple times....I know its a bad habit.. I didn't swear at the clerk. He started yelling at me and said what did I expect him to do. if he refunded it they wouldn't get the money back. He said his manager would get mad and make him pay it
I told him that was illegal... that they couldn't do that. He said to come back tomorrow and talk to the supervisor.
honestly if he had been more empathetic and not yelled at me I would have been fine. Also, the fact that he implied that I was lying really upset me. I'm a really honest person. Technically i have money and didn't need to be at the hostel. I just like the hostel experience.
Anyways I'll have to talk to the supervisor tomorrow and see if I can resolve this. I will never come back to this location. Unless you really have to.
I have to admit the location is prime. The pillow was terribly small though and the mattress was more uncomfortable than my thin camping pad. I would have been better off sleeping in my car.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The staff at the Auberge internationale de Québec is always ready to welcome all travelers, alone or in groups. Come and enjoy an unforgettable experience in the beautiful Quebec City region. We are in a great location, nestled inside the walls in the center of the old city. You will be steps away from popular cultural, historical and tourist sites. Our hostel offers lots of services to make your trip simple and enjoyable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hi-Quebec, Auberge Internationale De Quebec Hotel Quebec City
- HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale De Quebec Quebec City