“The reviews don't lie!”
Review of Maison du Fort

Maison du Fort
Ranked #3 of 100 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed September 23, 2013

When I first started looking for a place to stay in Quebec City, Maison du Fort just kept popping up everywhere I looked. Nothing but rave reviews on every level. I looked around pretty extensively but it seemed that everyone could just not say enough about how wonderful this place was. We stayed for two nights. Everyone was right. We felt so welcomed, the location could not be better, it has so much charm, very affordable. Marielle and her brother were so helpful. We had the smallest room in the Inn and we knew that that was what we were getting (it was the only one left) and it was still terrific. I will ad my voice, very enthusiastically to all the rest...............stay here, you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: the website shows pictures of every room

Reviewed September 22, 2013

When one thinks of Quebec and fine hotels, the name is Frontenac. Unfortunately, many reviewers note that it is tired. We noted when we were there that much of it is now under renovation.

After Frontenac, the choices are soulless chains, or small inns. Maison du Fort is a wonderful small inn just steps away from the heart of tourist Quebec City. The innkeeper is helpful and warm.

We stayed in room 10 (very large and charming with stone walls, deep shuttered windows,and a peekaboo view). We had our three kids in the attic room above us (11), which had a separate bedroom, another q bedroom, and a small kitchen. The set up was perfect for our family. The rooms were in impeccable condition, which is certainly not always the case with old properties. The rooms vary significantly in size and amenities so keep that in mind. For couples, room 10 is ideal (although be prepared to walk up a lot of steps)

I would have only one nit. The continental breakfast included no fruit (none!). I think a basket of apples and bananas at the very least would be nice.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 22, 2013

September 13/14/15 2013. Stayed her for a weekend, the first one ever with out the kids. Absolutely charming and perfectly located for walking/touring the old city. I base "clean" on my mother in law who is eastern european and whose house is so clean that one could do open heart surgery in the basement. Maison du Fort would pass Momma's clean test. Even when I dropped an earring and it rolled under the bed, there wasn't a spec of dust under it. Not a spec of mould in the corners of the shower. Areas that many people miss. Aside from being remarkably clean I felt like I was staying at a relative's house. Marielle was unbelievably hospitable and felt like family. There was coffee, juice and baked goods in the morning. Not a "breakfast", just enough to perk you up and get you on your way. With so much to see in the city I really cannot imagine sitting down for a traditional breakfast anyway. We have been to Quebec city a few times and didn't require much guidance. However, I often overheard Marielle discussing restaurant options and offering other trip advise to other guests. During the slower season Marielle goes out and tries the new restaurants and has a real insight to the pulse of Quebec City.

The only caveat I give is that this is NOT a hotel. It is a beautiful old manor house that has been made into a B&B. Also, as an aside beware if you drive, how large your vehicle is. Marielle has her guests park in a parking garage a five minute walk away. I am glad I took my wife's car as my SUV would not have fit.

I will, without a doubt be back!

Reviewed September 21, 2013

We wanted to stay in an historic hotel and of course considered the Frontenac, but the small size of this hotel, loaded with charm, swayed us - and we are so glad that it did! The location is great - walking to all of the old city in minutes, but away from the bustle and noise. The hotel is extraordinarily clean, and the bathrooms are newly done. We had rooms 1 and 5 - one had a fireplace and beautiful windows and the other had a bay window - great to sit and have a glass of wine -or two! - at the end of the day. The owner, Marielle, is very charming and very helpful, arranging our cabs and offering information and directions. There is a continental breakfast in the morning with luscious homemade bread and other pastries to give a great start to the day. AND it is inexpensive!! I would recommend Maison du Fort to anyone spending a few days in Quebec!!

Room Tip: We looked in a couple of the rooms (all different) and they are all lovely. The two less expensive...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2013

A late decision and booking in the last available room at the Maison was comfortable, quiet, very clean and felt like visiting friends and family! Although this last available room (#8) is small with no TV, it has the other basic amenities at a reasonable price, and all we needed to rest after long walks, shopping, and late European-style meals at restaurants in the old part of Quebec City. If you book earlier, there are well-adorned, larger rooms that I will certainly return to rest during my next annual tour to enjoy the ambiance of old Quebec City and Ile d'Orleans! The Maison is well-located within a 1-2 minute walk to the boardwalk in front of the Chateau Frontenac, or the opposite direction to the old Fort...hence it's name! Marielle is a suberb hostess and quickly makes you feel at home. She is also a wealth of information, suggestions and provides a selection of muffins and beverages for a light breakfast...even my favourite Twinnings Earl Grey tea! Parking is a short walk, about 2 small blocks in a secure locked facility, at $22/day. Overall, a great place to stay at a reasonable price, and very close to where my Great, Great, Great, Great, Great Uncle, General James Wolfe, died on the Plains of Abraham while successfully taking the old Fort from General Montcalm, who also died. Quebec City is my favourite Canadian city where you are immersed in history, nostalgia and ambiance of the French culture...priceless!

Room Tip: Book early for the larger rooms in this excellent location with great prices. Unload your luggage a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I can't imagine a better place to stay in Quebec. Lovely hotel and pretty, comfortable room in a fabulous location! We never moved our car as we walked everywhere, even to all the great restaurants we wanted to try. Marielle (and her brother) was most helpful. Highly recommended for any length of stay in Quebec!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Maison du Fort. Marielle was a great hostess who provided great advice on what to see in Quebec City. She also helped me retrieve a wallet that I left in a taxi to the airport. Coffee, juice, and baked goods were available each morning, and the room was impeccably clean. This hotel was in Old Quebec and was close to everything, including evening fireworks over the river. All in all, my wife and I had a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple