“small portions, you do not get your money worth there”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Chez Do - CLOSED

Chez Do
Cuisines: French, Asian
New York City, New York
“small portions, you do not get your money worth there”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

Lunch there is ok, but nothing great, let's be frank. Portions are small, very small and I am not a person who overeats at all. I never went back after my only visit there a few years ago...

Visited May 2012

Quebec City, Canada
“Don't lose your time and money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

I visited Chez Dô in February 2012 and was very much disappointed. I had been there a few years ago and I guess I had expectations, but they sure didn’t meet them. I ordered a platter of seafood, which also included the soup, rolls and a small dessert and coffee or tea. The seafood platter consisted of frog legs, shrimps, scallop and chicken. It sounds like a lot, but it really wasn’t that much – just a regular dinner plate. I thought I would enjoy the meal, but I was really disappointed when I received my plate and noticed I had only ONE scallop. What a rip off! I mean, when you order seafood, you expect a little more than that. To be exact, I had a little chicken – which was really spicy and good – 2 frog legs, 2 small shrimps and only 1 small scallop.

When the guy came by to ask if everything was ok and almost didn’t stop to hear our answer, I asked him if it was normal that I had only one scallop. He said yes and said it was custom – always only one scallop. Asked why I wanted to know that and I told him I was disappointed and I expected at least two, like everything else on my plate. I told him it seemed a bit cheap to me. He didn’t seem to care much and left. I figured he must have been a student, working the night shift to make a little money, and not care much about the business and customer care.

But to my surprise, when we got up to pay at the end of the meal, the guy started up the conversation again about the scallop thing and that’s when I learned he was not so temp worker like I thought in the first place – he was the owner!!! I would have thought he wanted to apologize or something, maybe try to make it up to me to make sure I left the place happy and content, but not – he did just the opposite. He told me he wanted to explain why it was like that – basically scallops are expansive and he doesn’t think he should offer more than one at that price, which to him is very low but to me seemed like a really average rate – and he wouldn’t stop arguing about it. He almost wouldn’t let me talk and was definitely not interested in knowing my point of view and listening to me – he really only seemed to care about having his point of view come across. In my opinion, this is a big mistake in customer care. I’m not saying the customer is always right, but I believe a customer who is unhappy mostly wants to be heard and listened to, not much more. If he would have given me more attention and respect, I would have left in a better spirit. But instead of that, he argued with me for at least 10 minutes, did not make me feel listened to and respected as a customer and did not make me feel welcomed in his restaurant. I feel this is an unacceptable way of treating customers and I left with such a bitter taste that I will not even go back to use the other rebate coupon I had bought for this place.

The food is one thing in a restaurant and it definitely needs to be good, but I am even more disappointed in the service than in the lonesome scallop on my place. I am not going back to this place ever. I am usually a very easy to please customer, but this time I was insulted to be treated like this by someone who did not even bother to be polite (did not even use “vous” in French to talk to me!).

• Visited February 2012