“Glad we found that place!”

L'Affaire Est Ketchup
Ranked #28 of 1,434 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: French, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Vald'or
“Glad we found that place!”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We are always looking for a new culinary experience and we found just that!
Our bartender at the Hotel Baily Taverne told us about a place that was small, a little smoky, noisy, hard to get a table at, but owned and ran by 3 lively, smily, food and wine lovers!

Well it just happens to be the type of place we sometimes decide we are going to go for, just to try something different. Different is exactly what we found and we loved it. The owner server was nothing short of a enthousiastic food lover, explained the ever changing menu with the precision of a chef, we also discussed the matching wine selection while standing in front of the limited but well ranged selection of private imports, priced reasonably.

I will not talk about the menu since it varies with the season and the availability of fresh and local produces. But you will be in for a real treat, get to taste local products, fresh and perfectly cooked, verrrry tasty. May not be the best table for those counting calories ;-(
But i dont so I did enjoy and will return.
Tip? Do not expect fancy other than in your plate!

1 Thank Interest009

Dallas, TX
“Wonderful”
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

We found this restaurant thanks to some reviews I had read online, and they were spot on. The staff could not have been friendlier. My dinner which was an oyster appetizer, scallops for main, and warm brownie for dessert was delicious. The waitress chose a wonderful champagne, and I had a choice for white that followed. Alsi being a bit away from all the tourists by our hotel in old town was a bonus. Just great!!

1 Thank simply_victoria
Kentucky
“Unique and Delicious!”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I went to Ketchup mid week for the 6:00 p.m. seating. There is no set menu. Instead, the daily appetizers and entrees are listed on a chalk board. Our server described each offering in great detail and took lots of time with us to help us decide what to order. My appetizer was sauteed mushrooms, and my main course was mackerel. All I can say is WOW!! Every single thing I ate was outstanding. I truly think that's the best fish I've ever eaten. I can't figure out exactly how they cooked it, but it was amazing.

The wine was excellent and they had a great selection of microbrew beers. We even tried a maple beer! My husband was equally pleased with his meal, and he's a real "foodie."

The service was great. Our server was very friendly and attentive, and she offered good suggestions and answered all of our questions thoroughly.

Overall we had great service, great food, in a great atmosphere. We loved that the place is cozy and homey. We'll definitely go back the next time we're in Quebec City! We recommended it to several folks we met while vacationing!

3 Thank KyRooTraveler
Bermuda
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great little restaurant off the beaten track”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We had a reservation for Saturday 8:30pm. The atmosphere was lively, friendly, chatty and casual. The black pudding on celeriac mash starter was really good. My husband liked his smoked eel. His pork and oyster dish was the better main course. My scallops were perfectly cooked but I wasn't won over by adding earthy beetroot. My panna cotta had great flavour.
We really enjoyed the experience - our favourite restaurant in Quebec.

1 Thank CatGSmith
ste-sophie
“A place to discover”
Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

If you looking for a place different , young atmosphere ,owner are around mid twenty . The menu has large variety from 20 to 30$ . There is fish, duck, wild meat, and more, good selection of wine and micro brewery beer at reasonnable price.don't be surprise if it smeel cooking when you get in ,kitcheen make apart of the restaurant so you the cook , it is charmant i would return

2 Thank tiben105